Dungy/Colts vs McDermott/Bills

Mikie2times

On 6/26/2023 at 11:40 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It appears McDermott is in a critical year. Even on borrowed time. Coaches don't win their first super bowl after year 5 when they have a Bonafide franchise QB. Allen and McDermott just completed year 5 together. Dungy hit the jack pot in year 5. McDermott did not. 

Lol the Colts got lucky that year! “Bug Eyes” Caldwell drops a perfect pass to ice the game for NE and they went and faced the (snicker) Bears in the SB.  I don’t think the Bills will need that kind of Horseshoe up there butt to win their first SB. 

14 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Without the defense stepping up the way they did in the 2nd half and the zone on the final series, the Colts lose.  It's that simple.  

stepping up? The Colts took a lead into the half and never trailed. On the final series the D made Grossman look like Joe Montana—going 5/5 in under 2 minutes.  He ran out of time.   Regardless, the Colts were up by 12. The game was out of reach for the Bears.

keep digging….

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

stepping up? The Colts took a lead into the half and never trailed. On the final series the D made Grossman look like Joe Montana—going 5/5 in under 2 minutes.  He ran out of time.   Regardless, the Colts were up by 12. The game was out of reach for the Bears.

keep digging….

It was Manning and company that made them so consistent and it was Manning and company in the playoffs that made them so inconsistent. I mean Manning was awful. Even in the Super Bowl year, 3 TD's and 7 INT's. The defense was ok, but it really struggled against the run most years. I agree, it was not the defense that did it. More or less, it was just getting there so often, which was based on Manning's regular season success. When you're in it every year you set yourself up that often luck ends up on your side. Drawing a very weak Bears team and in some ways in how they beat the Patriots was a product of that. I feel as if Buffalo will inevitably fall into the same situation. Which I think for many sounds like a white flag, but we are also trying to do this, like the Colts, with an active dynasty. Much like Maddens Raiders with the Steelers if we want to search for another example. Ideally, I hope we can overcome enough to be the team to beat but until that happens.....   

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

It was Manning and company that made them so consistent and it was Manning and company in the playoffs that made them so inconsistent. I mean Manning was awful. Even in the Super Bowl year, 3 TD's and 7 INT's. The defense was ok, but it really struggled against the run most years. I agree, it was not the defense that did it. More or less, it was just getting there so often, which was based on Manning's regular season success. When you're in it every year you set yourself up that often luck ends up on your side. Drawing a very weak Bears team and in some ways in how they beat the Patriots was a product of that. I feel as if Buffalo will inevitably fall into the same situation. Which I think for many sounds like a white flag, but we are also trying to do this, like the Colts, with an active dynasty. Much like Maddens Raiders with the Steelers if we want to search for another example. Ideally, I hope we can overcome enough to be the team to beat but until that happens.....   

Dungy was a big fan of sitting starters at the end of the season before the playoffs.  Bellichik rarely did that.  The results of the different philosophies speaks for itself.  Dungy struggled to motivate star studded regular season juggernaut teams for the playoffs.  He was a pushover

On 6/27/2023 at 1:37 PM, vtnatefootball11 said:

This is a great comparison.  Another interesting parallel to watch is the WR situation.  I remember for a while the big complaint in Indy was that they didn't have a proper #2 to compliment Marvin Harrison. It wasn't until they got Reggie Wayne where they were able to get over the hump.  Wonder if it will be the same for the Bills. 

Huh?

Manning first season was 1998. Wayne's was 2001. He wasn't a big part of their offense until his fourth season.

They had Edgerrin James and Dallas Clark as legit weapons to go with Harrison. Add in Stokely who went over a 1000 yards one season, and its more than fair to say Manning/Colts had plenty of talent on offense. 

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

keep digging….

The AFC Championship game, chief.  

On 6/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, Chicken Boo said:

Without Dungy's defense, Manning doesn't win a Lombardi in Indy.

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

The AFC Championship game, chief.  

topic is winning the SB chief.

if you now want to change your argument that a bottom half Dungy D stepped up on one series in the playoffs that year then go ahead I guess. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

topic is winning the SB chief.

if you now want to change your argument that a bottom half Dungy D stepped up on one series in the playoffs that year then go ahead I guess. 

That was my argument from the start, had you been paying attention.

How do they win the SB without finally getting past the juggernaut Pats?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.