The WNY Summer Appreciation Thread

BillsPride12

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't live in WNY anymore but I go back a lot. It's a real shame they don't have weekly outdoor (often free) concerts. That was such a Buffalo summer thing. My first show, and my first joint, was Little Feat at the Albright Knox Rose Garden. My last show was Elvis Costello at Canalside. Except for a couple Outer Harbor shows there's nothing now. 

Some places are starting to charge a small fee for their weekly concert series but there's still a lot of them going on and most of them are free.  The weekly outdoor concert series is definitely a staple of a WNY Summer

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:52 AM, BillsPride12 said:

24 hours later and I am disappointed in the lack of responses...C'mon TBD you can do better than this....not even one old-timer chiming in yet about family trips to Crystal Beach! 

Who are you calling “old-timer”, you creepy guy looking over my shoulder!

😋

…….they were not just family trips, we spent the entire summer up there in a cottage. My dad drove back in for work every day. I slept on the screened porch, which I now realize was because all the beds were full inside. To this day I love sleeping on a hammock on the back porch! 

EDIT: I was actually looking at WNY real estate today thinking of how lovely it is, much of the year. It’s the rest of the year that is concerning. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/21/2023 at 8:54 AM, Gregg said:

I don't have WNY roots. Born on Long Island and now live in NJ. When I was young, I had friend who went to the University of Buffalo. I visited him up there in the summer of 89 and we saw the Grateful Dead at Rich Stadium.

Don’t worry; New Jersey is also beautiful in the summer, said no one ever.   😁

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Haha (+1) 1

I know this is a WNY thread, but I’ve never seen a place celebrate summer like Minneapolis! Everything is covered in flowers and the people walk, bike and jog everywhere!

We tried to get into a nice restaurant on our first night there, a Thursday. It was packed with a super long wait so we went with plan B and promised ourselves to be earlier the next night to get a table. We showed up Friday night to find the place EMPTY! WTF? We asked about it and were told “it’s Friday, always quiet.” Huh? They had to explain to us that all summer long people take long weekends to go to their lake houses. The city emptied out to go enjoy summer! After all, winter is the time to hibernate! Enjoy it while you can! 

• Like (+1) 1

As a kid, summer was magic!!!

Funny how our perception of time changes as we get older. As a kid, I liked winter. As a teen, winters NEVER ended. I remember one April, hanging out in my buddies breezeway ( The party room) when we all realized we could go fishing the next morning because our favorite pond was probably ice free.

Summers at Sunset Bay, Darien Lake, fishing, camping out on weekends. Buffalo is amazing in the summer. 
   As we approach retirement, my wife and I think we might try to spend summers in WNY but haven’t quite figured out how as we don’t wish to own ( and pay NYS taxes) on property there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.