Good,the Ok,and the Ugly from day 1 of the draft

PatsFanNH

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok here are a few thoughts on the draft:

Good (Amazing):

Eagles — That D front is going to be scary AGAIN next year, I almost feel bad for Dak facing that front twice. They got an absolute STEAL with Carter at 9.

Agreed, Eagles had an excellent draft.  

Ok:(above average)

Bills - I like Kinkaid but I believe he has back issues? Doesn’t mean he won’t be amazing but could make his career a lot shorter than it should be.

I would probably list the Bills as Good given they got a top 15 player at 25, which was amazing value.  

Pats — I was hoping for a WR, but getting IMO the top CB in the draft while also sticking it to the Jets… made this pick awesome for me. My biggest concern is how young he is and how soon (if ever) he hits his potential.

I can't fault the Pats for their pick per se, but I don't think this pick does much to move the needle for them.  The offense is a major achilles heal, especially in the offensive loaded AFC.  This was a pretty meh move for me by them.  

Ugly:

Washington — They took a CB who is vastly undersized and will take time IMO to make an impact. Made worse because they chose him over at least 2 better prospect in Gonzalez, and Porter. I’d have broken my TV if that was my team. (Like I did last year w an unknown guard pick)

Will Levi’s — rumored be top 2 pick and doesn’t get picked at all in the first round.  By far an ugly and sad day for him.

Disagree on the Ugly here for Washington, they got the guy they have been commonly linked to at this pick.  I would have personally taken Porter Jr, but I am also not a professional scout.  I didn't find the pick surprising at all though and they definitely need corner help.

It was ugly day for Levis, I actually thought he was going to be a Pat as he fell to them and Mac trade rumors have been floating around.  Maybe they get him in the 2nd though.  

The team I felt had the worst day were the Bears as I don't understand why they took him with all the other OL guys on the board.  

The Lions are interesting to categorize for me...they could come out looking like geniuses here or this could have been a thud.  While I don't hate their picks at all, taking Gibbs at 12 was a major head scratcher given they likely get him at 18.  Especially given they already have 2 good RB's on their roster.  Campbell was one of those guys who was second half of round one to first half of round 2 kind of projection.  So taking him at 18 was fine IMHO, especially since I think he fits what Dan Campbell wants to do.  Bottom line is they got the 2nd best RB and arguably the best LB, so it could work out quite well for them.  Just Gibbs at 12 really was a bit confusing given who they have and how early that was.  

lastly Confused:

Jets — You just got Rogers and you know it’s a 2 year window and yet you still don’t draft a WR for the guy? Instead you get another D lineman.. makes little sense.. Rogers is older he needs playmakers around him. (Imagine if Seattle had gotten Rogers instead.)

let me know who your thoughts are :)

I personally never for a minute thought the Jets would go WR.  They have already went WR round 1 last year and got the OROY and then have a good core behind him, including one of Rodgers favorite targets.  For me, the one area Rodgers flamed out a lot in the playoffs was poor OL play and getting to him.  The Jets still need some serious OL help IMO, and missing out on Jones was great.  But I thought Anton Harrison would be the guy there and should have been the pick.  I get the defense pick based on who Saleh is, but protecting a 38 year old QB I think will still prove to be there achilles.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Gotta give props to the Eagles...they are building a hell of a team.  That Defense is going to be nasty! 

The flip side to all of the praise is that Jalen Carter fell because he's the biggest personality-risk prospect in round 1.

And Nolan Smith was a big underachiever for Georgia.   Watching him over the years my thought was largely "how was this guy the top HS player in the nation?".  

As I predicted last draft........Jordan Davis wasn't the great run defender..........Eagles run D struggled with him in there.

If it all comes together for these guys they could be impressive............but they also could become the Georgiadelphia Bustdogs.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.