How much are you into player statistics in sports?

Another Fan

I mean in baseball all I really look at is batting average, rbi, home runs, and on base and fielding percentage.  It gives me a good but not complete idea.

Football seem thing more or less.  Basic statistics on players to have an idea 

Stuff like quoting WAR in baseball and PFF in football strikes me as people that love the smell of their own fart types.  I mean not all but some people that use that extreme analytics as the end all be all.  Wasn’t Josh Allen like the lowest rated QB on PFF at one time? Or something like that 

I’ve always thought baseball stats tell more about a player than football stats. I wouldn’t lump them together. I think most great baseball players have the stats to back it, while football players can be much better than stats indicate. Football is much more dependent on teammates. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I mean in baseball all I really look at is batting average, rbi, home runs, and on base and fielding percentage.  It gives me a good but not complete idea.

Football seem thing more or less.  Basic statistics on players to have an idea 

Stuff like quoting WAR in baseball and PFF in football strikes me as people that love the smell of their own fart types.  I mean not all but some people that use that extreme analytics as the end all be all.  Wasn’t Josh Allen like the lowest rated QB on PFF at one time? Or something like that 

I do think WAR is a decent measure for baseball. 

For pitching, I like to look at walks/hits/strikeouts per inning, weighing them differently between starters, relievers and closers. 

For football, I think PFF is garbage. No … I know it’s garbage.  

8 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ve always thought baseball stats tell more about a player than football stats. I wouldn’t lump them together. I think most great baseball players have the stats to back it, while football players can be much better than stats indicate. Football is much more dependent on teammates. 

I think the sample size in football is too small as well. 

One of my favorite lines from a MLB manager was that stats confirm what he sees with his eyes. I assume he also meant that stats that didn't confirm his eye test were worth a closer look. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

That's because baseball relies on individual performance much more than baseball. Not to say baseball isn't a team sport, but football is the ultimate team sport.

In essence, I'm just agreeing with what you said 😁

• Like (+1) 1

Not at all.  I wonder how people feel about  sports gambling, which you can't get away from now.

For me, sports gambling is not "sports."  It's a sub-topic, and related to sports, but something different.

When media outlets combine the two I hate it; gambling should be for gambling threads, gambling shows, gambling radio shows, etc.

It's similar to sports memorabilia and collecting.  That's also related to sports, but an entirely separate genre as well...and I have zero interest in that too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.