A players perspective on the Bengals game

Magox

On 3/22/2023 at 5:55 PM, Cray51 said:

I think that’s an oversimplification of a really nuanced situation.

the Bills team went through a more tumultuous season then any I can remember, along with an incredibly grueling schedule as well.  The team looked like they lost steam after the hot start in the wild card game, and that obviously carried over to the Bengals game.  The coaches impact in two ways - 1) mid week prep and coordination and 2)in game management.  I personally put a lot more weight into mid week prep than I do the in game impact a coach makes.

how many times do you see a coach bring the entire team together to address a situation in game?  That’s a halftime closed door situation usually.  But I haven’t seen it happen on the sideline.  If you do see sideline conversations happening, it’s usually the team captains.

frankly, this team really struggled with execution throughout the entire season.   You could point to a LOT of execution breakdowns that were huge, and the bengals game was a culmination of those errors and struggles.  I don’t blame the coaches all that much for our struggles in that game, I blame the players who were likely exhausted and strained from a long long season

Strained from a long season? Did they play more than everyone else? The defense had no clue how to play the passing game other than let them catch it and tackle quickly. They exposed our defensive liabilities.  Tired? Lmao it's football sweetcheeks. 

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The Bengals game was just a culmination.

The Bills struggled against good teams all season. Yeah they won a playoff game… barely … against Skylar whatever, a practice squad level QB

every time they played a good team they struggled and/or lost. 

and now they’ve lost their MLB, their D coordinator and their best running back. It’s not gonna get easier. The window, sadly, is closed

I would say your window as a poster is probably closed 

Just root for New England

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 5ths the charm said:

Strained from a long season? Did they play more than everyone else? The defense had no clue how to play the passing game other than let them catch it and tackle quickly. They exposed our defensive liabilities.  Tired? Lmao it's football sweetcheeks. 

So we just ignore all of the injuries to CORE players throughout the year?  Let me throw this at you sweetpie:

Hyde, long term injury

poyer, long term injury

allen, 4 week injury (that many said carried through the entire year)

white, injured most of year,

hamlin, nothing else to add

Phillips, long term injury

Daquan Jones, injured to end year

Oliver, injured to end year

benford, injured throughout year

dawkins, injuries

doyle, injured for year

Von, inured for year

when you have CORE injuries like that, players get thrust into situations that they are not used to, which leads to uncommon physical and mental fatigue.  Everyone made comments about our injury report looking as good as it had leading into the Bengals game, but don’t believe it.  The team was still dealing with a slew of injuries.  Combine that with the two games in Detroit due to the winter storm, the Hamlin situation, the Miami game to start the year, the wild card game where the team started to look disorganized, and it isn’t a stretch to say the team was fatigued from an eventful season

Did they not perform their best with Cincy? Absolutely.  But there are obvious connections between the events throughout the season and potential of fatigue both mentally and physically.  I don’t just chalk everything up to “they suck and are weak”.  I use my brain

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.