OT...Soccer post

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a net the size of Kansas, on a playing surface the size of Texas.  Once, maybe twice a game.  :blink:

345511[/snapback]

but that's two more goals that I've seen on National Hockey Night all year long.

I can't wait to see the replay of this game. I've always been a soccer fan, but I've take a greater interest in the structure of the world game in the past year or so.

I think hockey is great, but there is just a purity that soccer has that is not present in any other sport, IMH. No bats, sticks, raquets, etc. No timeouts. No use of your hands (with an obvious exception). I played it for ten years growing up, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I also love to watch it. It's also nice that the matches are usually wrapped up in a little over two hours. You take away the behavior of a certain type of fan, and to me you have a near perfect sport.

I'll still take the NFL any day, but soccer is awesome.

Great post. Didnt realize that Liverpool's goals were so close together. I guess the NFL equivalent would be TD, Onside kick leading to a quick TD, and an INT TD. Nice...

I also heard Liverpool cannot defend its title, can we clear that up?

345284[/snapback]

Ah, that description makes it sound less like a Buff/Houston game, and more like a Buff/Denver game in the fall of 90. 20 points in a minute or so ... That, IMHO, was more impressive than the Wildcard game. Wildcard game had bigger stakes, tho.

No,,, there was not a riot or anything like that.. What happened was one of the  most incredible matches ever held....

This match was for the European Champions League title...Very prestigious...

Liverpool (England)  vs..A C Milan (Italy)..Both teams are noted for their strong defense...

AC scored 3 goals in the first half and ALL  their fans began a huge celebration.. The broadcasters said "It's ALL over."  Well no one told Liverpool and a great comeback commenced at the 53rd minute of the match...Another goal at the 56th minute and Liverpool is ALIVE...Then a penalty kick for Liverpool tied the match at 3--3 at he 59th minute and the celebration of the Liverpool fans was incredible...

3 goals in 6 minutes is pretty remarkable..

Another 30 minutes of OT was played, but no goals were scored..The white clad AC team had one excellent chance but the goalie for Liverpool made a brilliant save..

A penalty kick shootout occured and Liverpool won 3--2..

So this reminded me of the Buffalo Bills vs Houston Oilers and the Bills great comeback Jan.3, 1993...Never , never, never  give up !!!

345274[/snapback]

That was a great comeback! I can imagine the celebrations after the match.

That was a great comeback! I can imagine the celebrations after the match.

346364[/snapback]

Oh, well over a half a million scousers getting very drunk and very happy in the streets. Also it is a national holiday on Monday, so there will be some VERY hungover people in Liverpool come Tuesday.

Incredible game.

Oh, well over a half a million scousers getting very drunk and very happy in the streets. Also it is a national holiday on Monday, so there will be some VERY hungover people in Liverpool come Tuesday.

Incredible game.

346748[/snapback]

Scoring the three second half goals in the short time span was incredible..

Like some one else mentioned , it was similar to the quick scores against Denver in 1990..

England and US National teams in 'friendly' on Sat...

Incredible game.

346748[/snapback]

The Pentecost - the day after. Don't get run over by the cheese!

Scoring the three second half goals in the short time span was incredible..

Like some one else mentioned , it was similar to the quick scores against Denver in 1990..

England and US National teams in  'friendly' on Sat...

346757[/snapback]

I think there are only two or three of the normal England team playing - most of the rest are taking time off to recover from the long season (and the various niggling injuries they have picked up in that time) including the superb Steven Gerrard (who will likely still be recovering from the game on Wednesday) and Frank Lampard (who this year was probably the best midfielder anywhere (and it really hurts to say that - I loath Chelsea!)) with a whole host of others.

With USA also fielding a weakened team the game should be interesting as their will be mistakes as the teams try to get used to playing alongside each other for the first time and bordeline players try to make an impression.

The later game for Columbia will be a more usual line up with a couple of the regular English players joining the squad then havng finally been released to play the game from thier club.

Exactly - less shots = less changes to score = less excitement.  It'd be like if 98% of hockey was played between the blue lines.  *yawn*

Besides, I'd say that hockey is much higher scoring from my limited soccer exposure.  3-3 is very rare, whereas in hockey it's not.

CW

345390[/snapback]

Pretty ignorant post on a message board devoted to a sport where 100% of the action takes place between the "scoring zones"

Pretty ignorant post on a message board devoted to a sport where 100% of the action takes place between the "scoring zones"

347797[/snapback]

Pretty ignorant post that shows you have no idea how the sport of hockey is played. Here's a hint: You don't score by crossing the blue line in hockey.

A proper analogy would be if 98% of football plays were run between the two 40 yard lines.

Look in the mirror before calling someone's post "ignorant." :doh:

CW

Pretty ignorant post that shows you have no idea how the sport of hockey is played.  Here's a hint: You don't score by crossing the blue line in hockey.

A proper analogy would be if 98% of football plays were run between the two 40 yard lines.

Look in the mirror before calling someone's post "ignorant."  :doh:

CW

347799[/snapback]

1. Why are you talking about hockey? Where did I say anything about hockey? Plus, you don't need to lecture me on the sport of hockey. I've been playing it my whole including four years at the college level. I think I might have an idea or two about hockey but that's not what my post was about.

2. I'll conceed, the "scoring" zones in football are the red zones. 90% of the game is played out of the red zone, hence, making it no different than soccer.

3. Clearly, they should make each goal in soccer count as six points and then have a penalty shot for an extra point. The end result is football like scores.

1. Why are you talking about hockey? Where did I say anything about hockey?

:doh: You quoted my post WHICH WAS COMPARING SOCCER TO HOCKEY. :blink:

Warning - ID-10T error.

2. I'll conceed, the "scoring" zones in football are the red zones. 90% of the game is played out of the red zone, hence, making it no different than soccer.

Right, because nobody can kick a fieldgoal from the 40 yard line. :doh:

3. Clearly, they should make each goal in soccer count as six points and then have a penalty shot for an extra point. The end result is football like scores.

347825[/snapback]

Yeah, that's got to be it. Except I was talking about HOCKEY being higher scoring, not football. :lol: Here, let me quote what I said again for your reading pleasure:

Besides, I'd say that hockey is much higher scoring from my limited soccer exposure.  3-3 is very rare, whereas in hockey it's not.

What a maroon.

CW