Anyone use a mobile driver license?

LeviF

The mobile driver's license (mDL) is the future of licensing and proof of identity. An mDL is a driver's license that is provisioned to a mobile device with the capability to be updated in real time. It is comprised of the same data elements that are used to produce a physical driver's license, however, the data is transmitted electronically to a relying party's reader device and authenticated.

I know a handful of states have them and NY has indicated they will make them available before the end of 2023.

I occasionally work with alcohol compliance at some local concert venues and one of the managers is asking me about them. Depending on requirements and what it costs to implement verification devices/software, they're considering requiring physical documents only for age verification, at least for the foreseeable future.

Do you use one? How well does it work for verifying age or identity at liquor stores, bars, government buildings, etc.? Do proprietors scan it like they would a physical license or do they have some kind of special equipment on hand for them? Is there some kind of app for yours, or does it use Apple wallet?

Edited by LeviF

my own license keeps renewing since I dont get tickets. But this year all of Cali licensed drivers are going to be required to have what they call a "Real ID" .......so I will be making a trip to DMV at some point.  This Mobile ID license is an upgrade from even that.

This mobile or digital  drivers license/ ID  is being "tested" in Cali. If I read any future developments I'll update here.

https://www.govtech.com/fs/california-moves-to-test-new-digital-drivers-licenses

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Would be easier than adding another stupid app on my phone.  Just chip me like a friggin chihuahua.

Johnny this concept was written about in a vastly popular Christian fictional book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins called the Left Behind series. This implanted chip is foretold as the mark of the beast (AntiChrist). It sounds and reads creepy af but I can actually see this idea being made real in our lifetime.

am I full of baloney?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

Johnny this concept was written about in a vastly popular Christian fictional book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins called the Left Behind series. This implanted chip is foretold as the mark of the beast (AntiChrist). It sounds and reads creepy af but I can actually see this idea being made real in our lifetime.

am I full of baloney?

I don’t think you are at all.

BTW, That was a pretty good series. Read it and have the dramatic audio version on my phone and listen to it at the gym.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I don’t think you are at all.

BTW, That was a pretty good series. Read it and have the dramatic audio version on my phone and listen to it at the gym.

Clearly the technology exists to implant ID devices under the skin. Even if you dont believe in heaven or hell the fact remains that the technology to be identified by a swipe of your wrist under a scanner would Not surprise me.  If you take away the creep factor the technology would solve Jane Doe type cases and people who want to hide their true identity like criminals on the lam They would have a harder time also.....Instead of the eye in the sky you have the wrist under a scanner.......

ha. 

21st century drivers license. next thing you know, beam me up scotty will actually be a thing.

relying on chips and software to identify. the future is here.

I'm old, not quite buck rogers old but lost in space, star trek old and seeing these things become reality is really wild.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.