Math Trick

Here is a math trick that will stump you.

1. Grab a calculator. (It will be easier than doing it in your

head)

2. Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the

area code)

3. Multiply by 80

4. Add 1

5. Multiply by 250

6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number

7. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number again.

8. Subtract 250

9. Divide number by 2

Do you recognize the answer?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool.  i don't have the time to try and figure it out, but is there a link to any site from whence this little trick was discovered?

343261[/snapback]

It was an e-mail I got from a friend, that had many, many forwards in it. I wouldnt know where to look. Interesting though, eh?

Here is a math trick that  will stump you.

head)

2.  Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the

area code)

3. Multiply by 80

4. Add 1

5. Multiply by 250

8. Subtract 250

9. Divide number by 2

343254[/snapback]

That's just a complicated way of saying "multiply the first three digits of your phone number by 10000 (80*250/2), then add the last four digits (twice, then divide by 2)". The whole deal of adding one and subtracting 250 just obfuscates things. Bottom line: it's lame, and anyone with an 8th grade math education should be suitably unimpressed by it.

That's just a complicated way of saying "multiply the first three digits of your phone number by 10000 (80*250/2), then add the last four digits (twice, then divide by 2)".  The whole deal of adding one and subtracting 250 just obfuscates things.  Bottom line: it's lame, and anyone with an 8th grade math education should be suitably unimpressed by it.

343281[/snapback]

I wasnt sure if I should have posted the math trick or ask for advice about my hang nail. But here's another link that affirms my feeling that some here are short some brain cells :doh::w00t:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4566319.stm

Not so hard -

two parts:

Goal: part one multiply the exchange (three digits after the area code) by 10,000 to pu it in the right spot.

method here:

Steps 4 and 8 negate each other (try it if you like things will still work)

steps 1,2,3 and 9 multiply by 10,000

part two multiply the last four digits by 1 with out effecting the exchange digits

after the exchange has been displaced four decimal places to the left.

Steps 5,6 and 9 take your last four digits double them and then half that result - surprise it is what you entered.

There are lots of ways to make this take much longer of course.

what's harder to figure is why anyone in Buff thinks the Bears Hillbilly kicker would be good in WNY - hey I'll miss him in Chicago - but only because he was such a hoot in an interview.

Heres a thought to mess with your head...check it, the logic works... :w00t:

(and yes if anyone asks, i DO know the trick behind this logic twist)

A = B

A^2 = AB

A^2 - B^2 = AB - B^2

(A+B)(A-B) = B(A-B)

A+B = B

since A=B

B+B = B

2B = B

:doh:

"I wasnt sure if I should have posted the math trick or ask for advice about my hang nail. But here's another link that affirms my feeling that some here are short some brain cells :doh::w00t: "

I see it was all supposed to be sarcasm. So what was the clue? It wasn't poking fun of the powerful. It seemed perhaps inane but not scastic.

Some of us may have been generous that you thought it was really cool.

BTW the link was very intresting - I adopted my autistic step son on Monday. To bad you believe that those "missing a few brain cells" are to be ridiculed instead of those who are missing heart.

Oh yeah and the hang nail -- do you really want to know what to do with it? I don't think you'd like my suggestion.

Heres a thought to mess with your head...check it, the logic works...  :w00t:

A = B

A^2 = AB

A^2 - B^2 = AB - B^2

(A+B)(A-B) = B(A-B)

A+B = B

since A=B

B+B = B

2B = B

343310[/snapback]

Why does A+B=B?

Why does A+B=B?

343333[/snapback]

You're dividing by (A-B) on both sides at one point. You can't do that, because A-B=0, and you're essentially saying that 2 times infinity equals 1 times infinity.

How about this one:

0 = 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ...

0 = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - ...

0 = 1 - (1 - 1) - (1 - 1) - (1 - 1) - ...

0 = 1

"I wasnt sure if I should have posted the math trick or ask for advice about my hang nail.  But here's another link that affirms my feeling that some here are short some brain cells :)  :w00t: "

I see it was all supposed to be sarcasm.  So what was the clue?  It wasn't poking fun of the powerful.  It seemed perhaps inane but not scastic.

BTW the link was very intresting - I adopted my autistic step son on Monday.  To bad you believe that those "missing a few brain cells" are to be ridiculed instead of those who are missing heart.

Oh yeah and the hang nail -- do you really want to know what to do with it?  I don't think you'd like my suggestion.

343332[/snapback]

Perhaps not my place to be answering for erynthered, but we ride each other pretty hard around here in good natured fun. After 23 posts you may not have figured that out, but considering that most of the folks on this board are short 1, maybe 2 brain cells (but all pretty damned big on heart), I think you need to turn down your "take it personal" meter.

Live a little, laugh a little.... its just a message board, life is out there behind your chair. :doh:

Heres a thought to mess with your head...check it, the logic works...  :w00t:

A = B

A^2 = AB

A^2 - B^2 = AB - B^2

(A+B)(A-B) = B(A-B)

A+B = B

since A=B

B+B = B

2B = B

343310[/snapback]

The only problem with the logic -- and hence "the trick" -- is that to remove (A-B) from both sides of the equation, one must divide by 0 which results in an undefined result.

Cool trick though

The only problem with the logic -- and hence "the trick" -- is that to remove (A-B) from both sides of the equation, one must divide by 0 which results in an undefined result.

Cool trick though

343344[/snapback]

yah i know :w00t:...i used to know another one of these twists to prove that 1 = -1, but i forget it :doh: (it had something to do with squaring the numbers and taking roots and what not...)

"I wasnt sure if I should have posted the math trick or ask for advice about my hang nail.  But here's another link that affirms my feeling that some here are short some brain cells :(  :) "

I see it was all supposed to be sarcasm.  So what was the clue?  It wasn't poking fun of the powerful.  It seemed perhaps inane but not scastic.

BTW the link was very intresting - I adopted my autistic step son on Monday.  To bad you believe that those "missing a few brain cells" are to be ridiculed instead of those who are missing heart.

Oh yeah and the hang nail -- do you really want to know what to do with it?  I don't think you'd like my suggestion.

343332[/snapback]

You've taken the post the wrong way. ( :blink: ) This little guy is the sign here that most use for sarcasm, as I did. Lighten up :w00t:

We all have our crosses to carry. BTW, Mr. Sensitive, the link was sent to me by my autistic friend, having a little fun with HIS cross. :doh:

:w00t:

Here is a math trick that  will stump you.

head)

2.  Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the

area code)

3. Multiply by 80

4. Add 1

5. Multiply by 250

8. Subtract 250

9. Divide number by 2

343254[/snapback]

I must have figured this wrong. I ended up with Orange Kangaroos in Denmark.

You're dividing by (A-B) on both sides at one point. You can't do that, because A-B=0, and you're essentially saying that 2 times infinity equals 1 times infinity.

How about this one:

0 = 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + ...

0 = 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 - ...

0 = 1 - (1 - 1) - (1 - 1) - (1 - 1) - ...

0 = 1

343342[/snapback]

the logic in this is inherently flawed...every 0 term in the original is matched by a 1-1 term, so for arguements sake, take the first 2 terms...

0=0+0

0=1-1+1-1

factor it out you get

0=1-(1-1)-1

and 0=0

no matter how many (1-1) terms there are, you are always going to have that last -1 term chillin out there by himself, waiting to cancel your 1st 1 term...