Our secondary

BillsNYC

I was watching this and the trick was that the TE was going on some plays and not on others.

Brady is reading this and seeing what they are in, man or zone. The issue here is that MM is probably going to end up facing it at some point as well.

Really, the only way to get past it is to put the secondary in zone and keep the LB in man if you are playing in the dime package so Brady can't read them. It would still give you a five man rush if you choose to send the opposite LB.

We have 4 good cover corners. We don't have 1 safety who can cover anybody or any area. Our safeties are simlpy dead wood against a team like the Patriots that has 4 good receivers and plays 3-4 receiver sets on a regular basis.

I think the key to the Pats multiple WR forrmation is the two TE's (Graham and Watson) that seemingly wish to employ.

Both of these TE's are big, strong, very athletic and run like WR's. The Pats can create huge matchup problems against most any team I would think because they can line either, or both, up on the line or spread out in the flanks as the need dictates. Hellish defending these guys.

And then you throw in them very quick and fast smurfs at wideout and it's very tough to matchup properly.

Watching the Pats start the game with a 5 receiver set....I was thinking, how would our secondary handle that? How good is our secondary?

25594[/snapback]

Our cornerbacks are pretty nice (TV is an upgrade, McGee & Thomas are OK)

but our safeties look brutal to me.

Hopefully, Milloy will be back in time for the 1st Pats game,

but even then we're stuck with journeyman Reese.

Not good enough if the pass rush doesn't materialize.

-------------------------

but, the point is that if they have five guys on the line and a TE staying home. Then the five wide set has equal blockers.

It wasn't a five wide set anyways...it was a four wide with a TE loose off the line.

absolutely it is, it's all about the read. Brady is excellent at reading. But, if you watched last night he didn't send any of the WR's in motion. It was all reading off the TE in this case.

I'm not talking in generalities. I'm talking about the Pats.

We have 4 good cover corners.  We don't have 1 safety who can cover anybody or any area.  Our safeties are simlpy dead wood against a team like the Patriots that has 4 good receivers and plays 3-4 receiver sets on a regular basis.

25607[/snapback]

Actually o anonymous one, Izell Reese is seen as a better cover safety than a run stopper. He seems to match up reasonably well against a TE and certainly should easily b able to cover a 4th or 5th WR if the opponents go 4 or 5 deep with WR talent. As far as personnel goes, I think we are comfortable with Clements or Vincent covering anybody. McGee and Thomas problems are youth but each has show good cover talent at various points in their brief careers and certaonly stack up against the 3rd and 4th level talents of most teams.

If it comes down to 2 TE sets, Wire has had some issues as a cover guy, but mostly it seems to be with speed guys rather than thumpers and once Milloy is back he too should be able to play bigger guys.

As folks have noted the scheme which you confront them with is probably the major thing here. The big deal in these situations with an empty backfield is to have an approach which emphasises the pass rush so Brady gets as little time as possible to find the open guy among the 5. I like the zone-blitz for these purposes because the coverage scheme is deceptive and adds a couple of moments for the QB to sort out who is coming and who isn't.

absolutely it is, it's all about the read. Brady is excellent at reading. But, if you watched last night he didn't send any of the WR's in motion. It was all reading off the TE in this case.

I'm not talking in generalities. I'm talking about the Pats.

25676[/snapback]

I think I've found a new friend (re: gantrules posts in this thread) :)

Oh how I love X's and O's in the afternoon. :D

We have 4 good cover corners.  We don't have 1 safety who can cover anybody or any area.  Our safeties are simlpy dead wood against a team like the Patriots that has 4 good receivers and plays 3-4 receiver sets on a regular basis.

25607[/snapback]

Isn't the same team beat the Patriots 31-0 in the season opener....All I am

saying is Jerry Gray had a plan to beat out brady last year in the season

opener and he executed it to perfection.....I am not sure why JG cannot

install a similar game plan....

The fact is the team executed the game plan on that day.....and fell apart

later.....It is all about execution....

What the Patsies are masters of is the 10-15 yd intermediate route - whether it be receivers finding the soft spots in the zone or TEs exploiting matchups.

I think if teams can figure out a way to jump on those routes and have capable safety play to freeze out the TEs they would really bring down the Pats offensive machine. I think Brady is getting better at hitting the "long ball" (for him) which they set up with the intermediate routes - but he would die with it if the intermediate routes were choked off and they had to rely more on the deep ball instead of it being an occassional quick hitter.

I'm very comfortable with our d-backs - they are quick and athletic enough to jump those routes and now seem to be coached to do just that. I think Reese/Milloy would be adequate for what they need to do - my biggest fear is Wire who I think would be absolutely exploited by a smart coahing staff. Contrary to popular belief he had his lunch handed to him many times in previous outings trying to cover athletic TEs. His presence on the field really worries me. I would much rather hav PP out there or even a nickel back - I really expect to see Wire get sat and PP take his place after a few key mis-steps.

Our secondary makes me nervous. I hear everyone saying we have good "cover corners" but I can't even say how many times last year I got peeved because it seemed our corners were playling "soft" giving a 10 yard cushion. It drove me nuts. Seldom did it seem like our corners were covering anybody tight. I hope that changes this year or we're f'd..... :)