THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Demons

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

His accuracy was off before the elbow injury.  It seems like something is off with his mechanics.

I don't remember well enough, and that may be true.  I also recall hearing one of the QB talking heads sometime during the season saying that elbow injuries are consistent with how Josh is throwing - fine most of the time but then something happens and a throw comes out ugly.  Like missing McKenzie on a big throw earlier this year, and overthrowing Shakir Sunday.  I don't know.   I wouldn't be surprised that during the off season he has surgery AND we hear that accuracy on some throws has been a point of emphasis with Palmer or whoever.  

Whatever the cause, he hasn't been as deadly a thrower as in the previous two seasons.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't remember well enough, and that may be true.  I also recall hearing one of the QB talking heads sometime during the season saying that elbow injuries are consistent with how Josh is throwing - fine most of the time but then something happens and a throw comes out ugly.  Like missing McKenzie on a big throw earlier this year, and overthrowing Shakir Sunday.  I don't know.   I wouldn't be surprised that during the off season he has surgery AND we hear that accuracy on some throws has been a point of emphasis with Palmer or whoever.  

Whatever the cause, he hasn't been as deadly a thrower as in the previous two seasons.

Myself personally Shaw66, with Dabolls departure I expected a few growing pains under Bills new OC Ken Dorsey. I also think opposition change from season to season. How the league evolves defending against Mahomes and Allen. Weather conditions and many other factors figure in when comparing this seasons Allen to the previous two seasons IMO. To me Josh Allen is making to many good throws to believe the elbow injury is a big issue for him.  Allen is a cannon armed, lower trajectory, high velocity gunslinger and hes going to take chances. Defenders on the oppositions side do what they get paid to do sometimes. 

No matter what Josh Allen does, someone, somewhere will always be whispering accuracy problems. Shhhhhhh

Go Bills!!! B-)

22 hours ago, Commish said:

This. Dorsey is hyper-agressive, like Allen, and enables Allen's worst tendencies...

Perhaps.  But Miami was playing so much Cover 0 that long passes is what they were offering.  And Allen took advantage.  I am not so sure it is mentality as opposed to taking what the defense was giving. 

2 hours ago, Casey D said:

Perhaps.  But Miami was playing so much Cover 0 that long passes is what they were offering.  And Allen took advantage.  I am not so sure it is mentality as opposed to taking what the defense was giving. 

This is an excellent point.  On the bomb to Diggs, it was Cover 0 with Diggs left and Davis right.  I sat in amazement as no one for the Dolphins rotated back.  Josh could take his pick.  

The Bills' philosophy is that they are going to attack every opportunity to go deep.  If they see, they'll take the shot.  The INT on the throw to Brown, Shakir's drop, all of those deep throws were single coverage opportunities, and when Allen identified them, he took them.  I'm sure he was doing it with Dorsey's blessing.  

Why did the Dolphins do that?  Well, they knew they were outmatched, so they had to take some chances.   Maybe as they were designing game plan on Monday and Tuesday they decided that cover zero was a good bet because maybe, just maybe, the weather would make the deep ball tough to complete.  Maybe there'd be wind.  Maybe snow.  Maybe cold.  So, they stacked the defense to stop the run and the short passing game and took their chances downfield.   Thirty degrees, bright sunshine, little wind - the Dolphins were done in by the Buffalo weather. 

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Why did the Dolphins do that?  Well, they knew they were outmatched, so they had to take some chances.   Maybe as they were designing game plan on Monday and Tuesday they decided that cover zero was a good bet because maybe, just maybe, the weather would make the deep ball tough to complete.  Maybe there'd be wind.  Maybe snow.  Maybe cold.  So, they stacked the defense to stop the run and the short passing game and took their chances downfield.   Thirty degrees, bright sunshine, little wind - the Dolphins were done in by the Buffalo weather. 

So you're saying McDaniel wished it had been colder? 😉

• Haha (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree 100% with injury having to change arm angle.  He short hopped a wide open McKenzie on a 5 yard pass against Miami when we played there prior to injury.  I saw many other misses prior to his injury.  Don’t get me wrong I love him as our QB but something is off.  It possibly can be the way he is setting his feet.  

31 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I agree 100% with injury having to change arm angle.  He short hopped a wide open McKenzie on a 5 yard pass against Miami when we played there prior to injury.  I saw many other misses prior to his injury.  Don’t get me wrong I love him as our QB but something is off.  It possibly can be the way he is setting his feet.  

Oh, that's the throw.  Befoee the injury.  He will fix it in the off season.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Casey D said:

Quick slants are just as capable of beating tight man coverage, can lead to long gains and are much easier completions.

Where are any of these as options?

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Fix what?

That throw, and several other misfires this season, are sloppy mechanics or concentration.   He'll diagnose and work on it in off-season.  That's a regular off-season activity for quarterbacks.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

That throw, and several other misfires this season, are sloppy mechanics or concentration.   He'll diagnose and work on it in off-season.  That's a regular off-season activity for quarterbacks.  

Possible Tommy John surgery keeps popping up. Thanks for the clarification.  

Yes sir, while I think the misfires are few and far between. Always things you can work on.  The whole team is coached up in this manner and all part of the ongoing McD process IMO. 

Josh Allen leads by example. 

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Possible Tommy John surgery keeps popping up. Thanks for the clarification.  

Yes sir, while I think the misfires are few and far between. Always things you can work on.  The whole team is coached up in this manner and all part of the ongoing McD process IMO. 

Josh Allen leads by example. 

I agree.   And let me add one tangential thought I had sitting in the stadium Sunday:

Josh's deep ball is simply magnificent.  The easy motion, the release, the arc, the flight of the ball.  I've never seen anyone throw the ball like that.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.