Buffalo sets new All-Time seasonal snowfall record thru December!

Big Turk

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Well, maybe...but one of the coldest winters we ever had here in 1976-77 is the one that produced the most snow. 199.2", almost 35" more than second place.

Was it measured accurately?  The Blizzard had it blowing off the frozen Lake. The Lake froze over that year in mid-Decemeber... 

But.... Had to come from some where? The 1970s... When we were actually worried about "Global Cooling."

Ever read about the "Lost Squadron?" 5 P-38s & 2 B-17s that ditched on Greenland 🇬🇱  during WWII, 1942. By the time they located them in the early 1990s they were under +30 feet of ice. 1992 first one recovered from ice.

Just wait,  Greenland is now melting. 

https://lost-squadron.org/wp/en/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Was it measured accurately?  The Blizzard had it blowing off the frozen Lake. The Lake froze over that year in mid-Decemeber... 

But.... Had to come from some where? The 1970s... When we were actually worried about "Global Cooling."

Ever read about the "Lost Squadron?" 5 P-38s & 2 B-17s that ditched on Greenland 🇬🇱  during WWII, 1942. By the time they located them in the early 1990s they were under +30 feet of ice. 1992 first one recovered from ice.

Just wait,  Greenland is now melting. 

They only measured 12" from that blizzard. More than 150" of snow had already fallen prior to that...that's why there was so much snow on the lake to begin with. It snowed for over 50 days straight.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They only measured 12" from that blizzard. More than 150" of snow had already fallen prior to that...that's why there was so much snow on the lake to begin with. It snowed for over 50 days straight.

Bad year for "system snow." I THINK that was the year of 82" for the all time season record in Chicago. Or it might have been 1978? We came close a few years ago AND these babies here were throwing a conniption. 😆... We had 9 straight days of plowable snow in February that year and guys at work were coming to blows.🙄 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bad year for "system snow." I THINK that was the year of 82" for the all time season record in Chicago. Or it might have been 1978? We came close a few years ago AND these babies here were throwing a conniption. 😆... We had 9 straight days of plowable snow in February that year and guys at work were coming to blows.🙄 

Kinda like out County Executive and the Mayor of Buffalo,and Amherst town supervisor. 

https://www.audacy.com/wben/news/local/poloncarz-attacks-buffalo-mayor-in-aftermath-of-blizzard

Don't have a link for this, but County Executive Poloncarz was on a Zoom meeting with town supervisors. Poloncarz mentioned the 150-plus cars that were towed to the ECC North Campus lot in Amherst. Poloncarz said he would give an order for owners of those cars to come and get them immediately. The Amherst town supervisor strongly objected, saying they needed to take pictures of each car for insurance purposes. Poloncarz told the supervisor that ECC is County owned property and people could start coming to get them immediately. The Amherst Town Supervisor got pissed, cursed out Poloncarz, and left the Zoom meeting abruptly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Kinda like out County Executive and the Mayor of Buffalo,and Amherst town supervisor. 

https://www.audacy.com/wben/news/local/poloncarz-attacks-buffalo-mayor-in-aftermath-of-blizzard

Don't have a link for this, but County Executive Poloncarz was on a Zoom meeting with town supervisors. Poloncarz mentioned the 150-plus cars that were towed to the ECC North Campus lot in Amherst. Poloncarz said he would give an order for owners of those cars to come and get them immediately. The Amherst town supervisor strongly objected, saying they needed to take pictures of each car for insurance purposes. Poloncarz told the supervisor that ECC is County owned property and people could start coming to get them immediately. The Amherst Town Supervisor got pissed, cursed out Poloncarz, and left the Zoom meeting abruptly. 

My wife went to school, same class as Poloncarz in Lackawanna.  He's right, come get your vehicle.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife went to school, same class as Poloncarz in Lackawanna.  He's right, come get your vehicle.

Poloncarz apparently is disjointed over the preparedness and devastation in the city.

Mother Nature laid a blizzard beat down on Buffalo beyond any in probably a century. 

It’s fair to say it could have been much worse had many roadways not been off limits.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Poloncarz apparently is disjointed over the preparedness and devastation in the city.

Mother Nature laid a blizzard beat down on Buffalo beyond any in probably a century. 

It’s fair to say it could have been much worse had many roadways not been off limits.

BFLo is mostly on street parking too.

4 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

They admit it's a bad photoshopped pic

That was my first thought also...looks like either the Sierra Nevada Mountains or places in Japan where a city the size of Buffalo, Aomori City, averages 312" of snow a year and a city of nearly 2 million, Sapporro, averages 235" of snow a year...

Ocean Effect snow and nearby mountains it travels over are the world's top snow producing phenomenon apparently.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That was my first thought also...looks like either the Sierra Nevada Mountains or places in Japan where a city the size of Buffalo, Aomori City, averages 312" of snow a year and a city of nearly 2 million, Sapporro, averages 235" of snow a year...

Ocean Effect snow and nearby mountains it travels over are the world's top snow producing phenomenon apparently.

Yeah. My thoughts at first too... But coming from the police....You'd think they wouldn't do this stuff. They aren't helping the trust factor. 

Crazy... But almost plausible.  Why social media is an issue. Problematic when the police do this stuff. They are their own worst enemy. 

/StickInTheMudInIllinois.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah. My thoughts at first too... But coming from the police....You'd think they wouldn't do this stuff. They aren't helping the trust factor. 

Crazy... But almost plausible.  Why social media is an issue. Problematic when the police do this stuff. They are their own worst enemy. 

/StickInTheMudInIllinois.

They are known for posting things they consider funny on their Twitter account, and to be honest, most of the time it is pretty funny...

After the Bills got back from Detroit(the first game against Cleveland that had to be moved due to the snow) and Squirrel Winters became a legend, they posted something like "Just as a reminder...there is a still a driving ban in West Seneca for everyone.  Except Squirrel Winters"

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

They are known for posting things they consider funny on their Twitter account, and to be honest, most of the time it is pretty funny...

After the Bills got back from Detroit(the first game against Cleveland that had to be moved due to the snow) and Squirrel Winters became a legend, they posted something like "Just as a reminder...there is a still a driving ban in West Seneca for everyone.  Except Squirrel Winters"

I don't have a Twitter or FB account. Never have. 

It just makes people mistrust them even more.  Oh well... 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

They admit it's a bad photoshopped pic

I had a friend who for real, thought this was a legitimate picture and argued with those who said it was photoshopped. It wasn't until this was posted that she took an about face.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.