RIP John Hadl

\GoBillsInDallas/

8 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

Mine too, I think? October 17, 1966. 17-17 tie with San Diego. That's the game where kicker Booth Lusteg (a UConn product) missed three field goals, including a 23 yarder to win the game, with six seconds left, after the Bills came back from a 17-0 deficit.

Well, I realized that I can’t be correct. In fact, I’ve been living a lie about that game. I was less than a year old at the time. As a kid, my older brother and father talked about the “Get Hadl Dirty” game so much I must have adopted it as my own as a child. Yikes! My older brother just confirmed that I wan’t there—he and Dad were.

Kinda funny. I thought I was there for 40+ years. I’m not sure whether to thank or curse you.😀

On 11/30/2022 at 6:31 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

"Get Hadl dirty!"

s-l1600.jpg

I was there for that game with my brother and father. We joined in that chant heartily and cheered when it finally happened. The Bills were so bad then that those sorts of moments are the ones I remember most from those days. 

RIP John Hadl. 

On 11/30/2022 at 8:18 PM, LabattBlue said:

Excellent contribution to the thread. 👎🏻

RIP to one of the AFL greats. 😞

It looked better at the beginning of the game, when the green paint was still fresh. 🤣 

On 12/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, Sargent Hulka said:

Mine too, I think? October 17, 1966. 17-17 tie with San Diego. That's the game where kicker Booth Lusteg (a UConn product) missed three field goals, including a 23 yarder to win the game, with six seconds left, after the Bills came back from a 17-0 deficit.

I believe this game was Nov 17th, 1968. It was our 1-12-1 season of pure misery. The weather was miserable and the Chargers win 21-6. The get Hadl dirty chant came in the mid 4th quarter when everyone except him was covered in mud. It took about 3-4 plays for it to happen once the chant started. 

BTW, John threw 3 ints in that game, but between Dan Darragh and Ed Rutkowski, we managed only 151 yards of total offense. The Chargers scored all of their 21  points in the first half. The second half was awful. Biggest cheer of the game was when they got Hadl dirty. 🥹

Edited by BuffaloBob

Yup. I'm 64 and live in NY Metro Area, grew up here. With blackout rules wasn't forced to watch both Jets/Giants every Sunday as someone was home.

I loved watching AFL Games at 4P in the East. Lots of Raiders, Chiefs, Chargers on. Loved that he wore #21 and punted. And to see a young athelete who was bald was a first. Great memories watching those games. Hadl was up against Dawson and LaMonica in his own Division and Chargers always seemd to go 8-4. 9-3. RIP #21 I loved watching you try to take down Raiders and Chiefs at 4P as a kid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.