(OT) Review: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

i liked how the first thing he said when in the mask was "what of padme, is she alright??"

you NEVER hear darth say ANYTHING like that in the other movies.

341340[/snapback]

Yeah that was a great scene. The voice was the same (Awesome!), but the dialogue was not Darth like at all. It was still the young kid.

Man, the first time I saw Star Wars when I was 7, I thought Darth Vader was a robot. Man, I can't believe what long road it's been since that time. I'd have never have dreamed that we'd get all this.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Spoiler Alert***

I've been thinking more about the Anakin turn since you guys have been talking about it on here.....I think an important point to ponder is that what we have is a conflicted, even somewhat reluctant character, who is completely obsessed with the preventing any harm coming to his wife. His experience with Dooku early in the film was another step toward the dark side, but he snapped back from it.

Now, contrast this with what he does in the jedi temple. Palpatine knew that Anakin killing a sith would not be the straw that broke the camel's back. Dooku was evil, and even though Anakin exhibited regret and confusion over his failure to do things the "Jedi way", that was the extent of the impact it was going to have. If he could somehow get Anakin to not only kill, but MURDER, that would be a different story. So what did he do? He used Padme as the motivation to get Anakin to sign on the dotted line. But at that point I feel he was not turned. He was simply desperate to do whatever he had to in order save Padme. It is at that point that Palpatine/Sidious then gives him the assignment at the Jedi temple. Once that is complete, I feel his turn is legit. Anakin is now a murderer of innocents. That was his initiation as Darth Vader and that is why that scene is so vital to his character development.

By the way, for those who haven't heard, Ep.III beat the all-time single day record with a $50 million take. It beat out Shrek 2 by $6 mil. :blink:

It is at that point that Palpatine/Sidious then gives him the assignment at the Jedi temple. Once that is complete, I feel his turn is legit. Anakin is now a murderer of innocents. That was his initiation as Darth Vader and that is why that scene is so vital to his character development.

341391[/snapback]

i think killing kids proved that he would do anything the emperor asked him to do. but he didnt truely become the evil character untill he learned of padme's death, and he killed her. that killed the last thing holding him from turning to the dark side.

but im kinda disapointed that he didnt get to have a lightsaber fight in the mask and suit.

i watched episode 4 yesterday, and the fight between darth and obiwan was PATHETIC. alot has changed in movies since then..

It is at that point that Palpatine/Sidious then gives him the assignment at the Jedi temple. Once that is complete, I feel his turn is legit. Anakin is now a murderer of innocents. That was his initiation as Darth Vader and that is why that scene is so vital to his character development.

341391[/snapback]

I think he still had one last chance at redemption (aside from the later films.) When Padme confronts him on the lava planet, he could have repented and said that he was clouded by Palpatine and so on and I think Padme and Obi-Wan would have forgiven and he and Obi-Wan could have gone off after Palpatine. Once he choked Padme, it was over, Obi-Wan knew he was gone and then, they had to fight.

By the way, for those who haven't heard, Ep.III beat the all-time single day record with a $50 million take. It beat out Shrek 2 by $6 mil.  :blink:

341391[/snapback]

can you say, "highest grossing movie of all time".

Great way to end this saga. Ive seen every one during their original theatrical run and now just need a Bills SB win to be able to say I can die now.

The scene at the end with the Emperor, Vader, and Tarkin on the Star Destroyer bridge with the Imperial officers below really nailed it for me as far as tying it in to the originals. Im going to see it again tomorrow.

One thing though, besides each film consisting of peoples appendages getting cut off, there seems to be an abundance of scenes where characters are hanging off ledges or falling down shafts.

Thanks Mr. Lucas

can you say, "highest grossing movie of all time".

341429[/snapback]

It could do $200 million this weekend. I have a feeling this will give Titanic a serious run. I predict that it will go north of $500 million in the US alone. WhenI saw it last night, the kid to my right was on his 3rd showing, with the 4th planned for tonight.

Great way to end this saga. Ive seen every one during their original theatrical run and now just need a Bills SB win to be able to say I can die now.

The scene at the end with the Emperor, Vader, and Tarkin on the Star Destroyer bridge with the Imperial officers below really nailed it for me as far as tying it in to the originals. Im going to see it again tomorrow.

One thing though, besides each film consisting of peoples appendages getting cut off, there seems to be an abundance of scenes where characters are hanging off ledges or falling down shafts.

Thanks Mr. Lucas

341431[/snapback]

Yoda took more than a few serious falls that probably would have killed your average green little gnome.

Yoda took more than a few serious falls that probably would have killed your average green little gnome.

341439[/snapback]

he said he failed, when he simply fell. it looked like he was winning till then. i dont see why he couldnt just go back and fight again once recovered from the fall.

yoda seemed more powerful than the emporer.

he said he failed, when he simply fell. it looked like he was winning till then. i dont see why he couldnt just go back and fight again once recovered from the fall.

341447[/snapback]

I think lots of troops showed up.

Yoda and Obi Wan would have easily defeated the Emporer.

Thanks Mr. Lucas

341431[/snapback]

was that tarkin on the star destroyer with vader and palpatine? i was wondering...

was that tarkin on the star destroyer with vader and palpatine? i was wondering...

341455[/snapback]

Yes, thats him. also I guess the asteroid belt where Padme gives birth is supposed to be the same one from Empire.

I think lots of troops showed up. 

Yoda and Obi Wan would have easily defeated the Emporer.

341453[/snapback]

Obi Wan couldnt deafeat the last emperor's apprentice, anakin had to do it.

and it was Darth's arragence that let obi wan win the final battle.

(i know i cant spell, but you get the idea).

i thin kyoda could have killed them both if faught seperatly.

I think that ommitting Jar-Jar (for the most part) and welcoming back Chewie was Lucas's way of saying "I'm sorry" for the mistake.

Sorry, I'mm all over the map on my thoughts, I'm just throwing out stuff as it comes back to me or pops in my head.

I think he still had one last chance at redemption (aside from  the later films.) When Padme confronts him on the lava planet, he could have repented and said that he was clouded by Palpatine and so on and I think Padme and Obi-Wan would have forgiven and he and Obi-Wan could have gone off after Palpatine. Once he choked Padme, it was over, Obi-Wan knew he was gone and then, they had to fight.

341426[/snapback]

You guys have a good point.....You're right, he could have chosen differently when confronted by Padme and Obi-Wan in the end. One of the lasting images I have from the film is when Anakin/Vader is lying on the slope near the lava, clinging to what life he has left with his mechanical arm, yelling "I HATE YOU" at Obi-Wan.....just before you know what happens to him. That may be the most intense SW image ever.

341447[/snapback]

He wasn't more powerful...remember, just as Obi-Wan couldn't defeat Palpatine's apprentice, Yoda could't defeat Dooku either in Episode II. Though he chose to save Obi-wan rather than chase Dooku.

And in the final fight, at best it was a draw, but the Emperor really handled Yoda. Yoda got his licks in, but the Emperor was too strong. As Yoda said, only the chosen one can bring the balance back to the force, and Yoda, as powerful as he was, wasn't the chosen one. That duty fell to Annikan.

I loved it, absolutely loved it. Why? The villains were villainous.

That's what made SW special, IMO. The villains.

Darth Sidious.

Darth Vader.

341574[/snapback]

I agree. Dooku and Jango Fett were good in AOTC, but they certainly didn't make me forget Darth Maul. But I wasn't even thinking of Maul during Ep.III. I have been monitoring some discussion on other forums, too, and there is a TON of stuff from people who have been watching the original films (particularly Ep.IV) right after seeing III. It's really cool to hear so many of them say (as was said above in this thread, too) that the original films have scenes with different or enhanced meanings now. Pretty cool stuff!

LOL, in the theater, as soon as he showed on screen, (not saying a word, just standing there) the WHOLE audience was like AWW GODDAMN IT!!!!!!

we were expecting him to jump around and be annoying, and screw up the movie....

THANK GOD THAT DID NOT HAPPEN

341346[/snapback]

I just wanted to him get killed. Damn it! :P

:blink:

I just wanted to him get killed.  Damn it!  :P

:blink:

341597[/snapback]

lol....for a cruel joke, Lucas could have killed him off in Ep.III, and then add him to the Yoda, Ben, Anakin ghost scene at the end of ROTJ lol