(OT) Review: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Sorry for a new post, but the other two on the board have like one serious post followed by a bunch of crap. I know there are lots of SW fans on here who are going to want to discuss it, so thought I'd start a fresh one.

I just got home from a 9:45 IMAX showing of the film. There are several critics who have stated that your age will likely determine your reaction to Episode III. If you were around when the original films were in the theater, you'll probably have a much more emotional reaction to 'Sith' than those who were not.

Star Wars is the first movie experience that I remember from my childhood. All three of the early films were very special experiences. When I went to see Episode I, I was psyched to have an opportunity to experience that all over again. Even though I really liked it, however, it just wasn't the same as when I was a kid. I attributed it to the fact that I was (at the time) 27 years old and simply could not view it in the same manner. I enjoyed Episode II, but felt a slight let down just as with Episode I. Well, as I'm writing this today, I stand corrected. The magic was definitely back with Episode III. I got to be a kid again.

I don't want to hack on the first two prequels, cause as I said above I really did enjoy them. But Episode III - particularly the last half hour - really gives you that same feel that you had with the original trilogy. It does a very good job of feeling like both the old and new trilogies. But those of you who saw the early films in the theater will probably have a pretty significant emotional reaction to certain aspects of this one. I know I sure did.

Granted, some of you will undoubtedly focus on the "negative" aspects. But for those of you who are capable of viewing it as a Star Wars film and can allow it to JUST be a Star Wars film, I would bet that you'll be pretty happy with the experience.

This was far and away the best of the prequels, and in my opinion the third best in the overall series.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What possessed you to think this thread would be any different? :wacko:

340343[/snapback]

Well, whatever hope I did have of that, allow me to thank you for making those hopes completely futile :wacko:

Well, whatever hope I did have of that, allow me to thank you for making those hopes completely futile :wacko:

340350[/snapback]

I sure hope you didn't misspell any words in your review.

I had similar experiences with Episodes I, II, and now III. I will probably have to see Revenge of the Sith a few more times to really get a full opinion of it. Some things went by so fast that I missed them.

It was pretty sad to see all the Jedi shot down from behind, and even though I knew ahead of time what Anakin was going to do to the kids, and to Padme, I was still shocked when I saw it. It was also brutal to see what happened to Anakin. That was pretty wicked.

I did think that Anakin turned to the dark side a little too quickly. I think it would have been better with a little more indecision, or a really brutal killing of Mace Windu to think that he had no way of turning back. He became pretty subservient really quickly.

All in all, it was still not quite as good as Empire, but pretty damn good.

I had similar experiences with Episodes I, II, and now III.  I will probably have to see Revenge of the Sith a few more times to really get a full opinion of it.  Some things went by so fast that I missed them. 

It was pretty sad to see all the Jedi shot down from behind, and even though I knew ahead of time what Anakin was going to do to the kids, and to Padme, I was still shocked when I saw it.  It was also brutal to see what happened to Anakin.  That was pretty wicked. 

I did think that Anakin turned to the dark side a little too quickly.  I think it would have been better with a little more indecision, or a really brutal killing of Mace Windu to think that he had no way of turning back.  He became pretty subservient really quickly.

All  in all, it was still not quite as good as Empire, but pretty damn good.

340359[/snapback]

I had a few of the early criticisms in mind as I was watching it, and I think that's part of why I don't feel like his turn happened too quickly. If you are watching for the causes of Anakin's turn from the beginning of the film, I think it may look different to you. You also have to think about the first two prequels and the subtle ways that Palpatine pushed all his buttons. There is a whole lot of stuff that starts way back in Episode I that finally comes to a head in this one. For all three films, Palpatine has been putting all his chess pieces in place - and on a variety of boards - for when he finally, out of the blue, calls "checkmate". There is a strong parallel between Anakin's experience with his mother and his experience with Padme, and his emotional reactions to both characters. At least in my view, when you take this into consideration, combined with the fact that Palpatine was the ring leader, his turn seems both believable and dramatic.

Thought I'd add a few more tidbits.....

1) When I saw Phantom Menace, I wanted to go back and see it again....and I did....about five times. But my motivation for going back was mostly Darth Maul. I enjoyed the rest of the film, but he's why I went back. Episode II I didn't go back at all. I've since watched it a few times on DVD, but nothing really draws me back to it. Episode III I just saw and I want to go back right now and watch it start to finish. I was captivated the entire time. That's how I felt about the older films, too.

2) This was the first prequel where the crowd reacted. They laughed at the funny parts in the beginning, clapped during a few particular scenes, and then clapped again at the end of the film.

3) The score was very effective. You have some of the newer music that you associate with the prequels, some of the older that you associate with the originals, and some stuff that is very somber and unlike anything we've heard in a SW film. I thought it was very well done.

Sorry for a new post, but the other two on the board have like one serious post followed by a bunch of crap. I know there are lots of SW fans on here who are going to want to discuss it, so thought I'd start a fresh one.

340340[/snapback]

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

And your're right - we do have special feelings for things that hit us at just the right time. I've got fond memories of things - tv shows, movies etc. that most would cross their eyes at. I've an older sister that is a ga-ga Elvis fan. And good for her - Elvis meant a lot to her when she was a teen - an authentic bobby-soxer! :wacko:

well, i was born in '81 so i never saw the originals in theater, but i grwe up with them and they were some of my favorites, and even tho these new ones are great, i still love the originals better...

Heres a question...do you show (future) kids the 6 in order, or show the originals first...i'm gonna show mine the originals first...

well, i was born in '81 so i never saw the originals in theater, but i grwe up with them and they were some of my favorites, and even tho these new ones are great, i still love the originals better...

Heres a question...do you show (future) kids the 6 in order, or show the originals first...i'm gonna show mine the originals first...

340395[/snapback]

I am going to watch the originals first and then the prequels on the advice of many who say that the first three are more poignant and revealing if you already know what is to come. Jack Garner of the D&C compared it to how effective the flashbacks were in Godfather Part II -- the story of young Vito is much more compelling when you've already seen Don Corleone. Also, Lucas had the entire story in his head and on paper (pretty much) by the time he started filming Episode IV, and you've got to think there was a reason he started in the middle.

The originals will always be better because if you look at any other scifi file made during that time you will see most of them are a real hack job. The Original star wars was put together so well that you could actually believe that this all happened "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away."

If the new three were shown to someone who has never seen star wars in their life first. I would bet that upon viewing the original 3 that person would think it is crap.

I have always liked the new 3. My reason being that i don't care if it was done with models or CGI. I don't go to see a movie for the graphics. I go to see it for the story. I knew that episodes 1-3 would put to rest the mystery of Darth Vadar. Episodes 4-6 only tell you that Darth Vadar is Luke's father and that he turned to the dark side. Episodes 1-6 is all about "The rise and fall" of Anakin Skywalker and how he would bring balance to the force.

Episode 3 was awesome. Mr. Lucas made it tie in so well with the original 3 because of details. Details like Obi picking up Anakin's lightsaber at the end and keeping it (we knew who it goes to). The little things like that made me like the movie so much better.

Alot of people don't like the cheesy love story shown in episodes 2-3 but it is pivotal because it caused Anakin to go to the dark side.

i was pleased with the movie and i want to see it again in the movies in a week or so.

Alot of people don't like the cheesy love story shown in episodes 2-3 but it is pivotal because it caused Anakin to go to the dark side. 

i was pleased with the movie and i want to see it again in the movies in a week or so.

340411[/snapback]

You know, I can understand how some people were critical of the lovey dovey stuff between Anakin and Padme in Ep.II. Even though I just chalk it up to giddy, awkward, teen emotion and expression (with a touch of bad writing lol), there is NO ROOM for criticism in Ep.III. The exchanges between them are very valid to the story and they are delivered sufficiently. I'm not saying it could not have been better, and I'm not saying it's 'Gone With the Wind'.....but for a SW film, there was nothing wrong with the acting in this film.

****Possible Spoiler Alert****

The other area that didn't bother me as much as other people is when Vader first stands up. People say he looked goofy, kind of like the Frankenstein monster.....People, HIS APPENDAGES WERE CHOPPED OFF!!!!! That was the first time he'd ever taken a step with his artificial limbs! I dare say that if any of you who criticized this scene were to stand up on a short pair of stilts for the first time, you'd be wobbling around a bit, too!

****END Spoiler****

Now that i think of it. it would always be better for people to watch 4 5 and 6  instead of 1 2 and 3 first because when i first saw episode 5, the element of surprise that Vader was Luke's father just caught me off guard. Instead now if you watch 1 2 and 3, you alreayd know who vader is.

340658[/snapback]

Lucas says you should watch them straight through from I-VI, but the more I think about it the more I agree with your point.

I found it interesting that Lucas made me feel some sympathy for Anakin. The way they set the story up makes it hard to completely hate the guy for the first hour. He's being played by the chancellor and he desperately wants to save his wife. I was sypathetic right up to the point where he wastes the "younglings".

I found it interesting that Lucas made me feel some sympathy for Annakin.  The way they set the story up makes it hard to completely hate the guy.  Well up until the point where he wastes the "younglings".  But he got there because he desperately wanted to save his wife.

340682[/snapback]

Exactly! It's both tragic and ironic because what Palpatine uses in order to get Anakin to give in to the dark side was his love of both his mother and his wife. How many of us want to protect our family - particularly our mothers and wives - from suffering and death? Hell, I'm getting a dose of this right now in my own life. My mother is very ill and I feel powerless to help her! He basically is in a position of beign willing to do ANYTHING in order to save Padme and Palpatine knows this. He clearly had a plan ever since Anakin was born (and for those who haven't seen the film, there is some explanation of Anakin's origins). In Episode II Palpatine authored a situation where Anakin was a day late and a dollar short and could not save his mother. That served two purposes: It fostered more of his rage and anger, and it primed his feelings for what would happen with Padme. In Ep.III Palpatine takes advantage of the emotional state he's created in Anakin and uses it to ultimately get him to say "yes". The minute he says yes and gives in, he's done for. He can't turn back. He IS Darth Vader. That's why I feel his turn is not sudden and abrupt. It's something that Palpatine has been slowly working on for years and years.....and then when the moment is right, he pulls the trigger.

"The other area that didn't bother me as much as other people is when Vader first stands up. People say he looked goofy, kind of like the Frankenstein monster.....People, HIS APPENDAGES WERE CHOPPED OFF!!!!! That was the first time he'd ever taken a step with his artificial limbs! I dare say that if any of you who criticized this scene were to stand up on a short pair of stilts for the first time, you'd be wobbling around a bit, too!"

Did anyone notice that Padme (sp?) was still pregnant at her funeral? Interesting addition to the plot tie in.

I have to agree with others though, the last half hour of the movie was clearly the best and clearly made you feel like you felt at the end of ROTJ. I just wish it wasn't over :)