(OT) Review: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Obi wan knows about leia, but she isnt as strong in the force as luke is, and they wanted to keep it from luke during training, because luke went dangerously toward the dark side, so the less knowledge he had the better...otherwise he may have betrayed her or tuned her, etc...

they wanted as few people to know as possible about the existence of the 2 children, and didnt want them to know of each other...all in the name of protection...

341235[/snapback]

An excellent explaination

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is awesome storytelling in this day and age, then several people are rolling over in their graves. It had the special effects that everyone expected to see-to the point that the the first 20 minutes of the movie rolled by without any plot, or any dialogue. "Jedi Knight" or not, those two guys shouldn't have lasted 30 seconds in an environment fully surveilled and filled with enemy combatants...OK, it's a movie-but for crying out loud, make it somewhat interesting and suspensefull.

342707[/snapback]

It was a trap. They wanted them to find Senator Palpatine.

And, taking over the entire government? If it were THAT damn easy to do, I would have done it years ago. And, how do you explain the entire damn armed forces waiting on a code word from Mr Bad guy to wipe out all the JEDI knights-and in spite of their "force" no one had a frigging clue? I saw enough plot holes to drive a tank battalion through.
The armed forces are a bunch of clones who were engineering to be extremely loyal and follow orders (they mentioned that in AOTC). So even though they were friendly with Kenobi and Yoda, as soon as they got their order, they went right ahead and tried to kill them both.

It was a trap.  They wanted them to find Senator Palpatine.

The armed forces are a bunch of clones who were engineering to be extremely loyal and follow orders (they mentioned that in AOTC).  So even though they were friendly with Kenobi and Yoda, as soon as they got their order, they went right ahead and tried to kill them both.

342718[/snapback]

One of the great quotes from the book, that was omitted from the movie was when Commander Cody receives Order 66 on Utapau (just after he gave back Obi Wan's lightsaber) he says something to the effect of "It would have been easier if I hadn't just given him back his lightsaber" I'm not sure exactly how it was written, but you could tell he was frustrated that he had just returned it and that would make it all the more difficult to carry out the order. Also, Obi Wan was a bit tougher to go down in the book, not just a one shot and over deal.

It was a trap.  They wanted them to find Senator Palpatine.

The armed forces are a bunch of clones who were engineering to be extremely loyal and follow orders (they mentioned that in AOTC).  So even though they were friendly with Kenobi and Yoda, as soon as they got their order, they went right ahead and tried to kill them both.

342718[/snapback]

And as for the Jedis not being aware of the order before it was given...they make a point in each movie on how the Dark Side clouds the force and limits the Jedi's powers. I think it was made more forcefully in Ep. II...but they mentioned it in III as well.

Point being, while it may be a hokey plot device, it is NOT an inconsistency.

If this is awesome storytelling in this day and age, then several people are rolling over in their graves. It had the special effects that everyone expected to see-to the point that the the first 20 minutes of the movie rolled by without any plot, or any dialogue. "Jedi Knight" or not, those two guys shouldn't have lasted 30 seconds in an environment fully surveilled and filled with enemy combatants...OK, it's a movie-but for crying out loud, make it somewhat interesting and suspensefull. And, taking over the entire government? If it were THAT damn easy to do, I would have done it years ago. And, how do you explain the entire damn armed forces waiting on a code word from Mr Bad guy to wipe out all the JEDI knights-and in spite of their "force" no one had a frigging clue? I saw enough plot holes to drive a tank battalion through.

342707[/snapback]

Taken as a whole, the entire series is arguably good storytelling. Lucas' overall vision in relating the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker is breathtaking, taken in and of itself equivalent to the Godfathers I and II.

The problem arises when Lucas actually tries put his vision to film. Whereas Coppola was enough of a writer and director to translate Puco's epic to the screen, the entire Star Wars series could have been written and directed by a troop of monkeys and no one would have noticed the difference.

Taken as a whole, the entire series is arguably good storytelling.  Lucas' overall vision in relating the downfall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker is breathtaking, taken in and of itself equivalent to the Godfathers I and II.

The problem arises when Lucas actually tries put his vision to film.  Whereas Coppola was enough of a writer and director to translate Puco's epic to the screen, the entire Star Wars series could have been written and directed by a troop of monkeys and no one would have noticed the difference.

342772[/snapback]

Some of the filmmaking for Episode I is just plain sloppy - especially with the child actors.

In one scene, one of them inserts a pause in the middle of a sentence: "C'mon, Anakin, let's go....................play ball" for no reason.

There's a shot right after Anakin wins the pod race where his friend (and a small Greedo) are celebrating and almost high-five. Apparently the guy in the Greedo got his signals crossed with the kid and they both attempted, and aborted, a high five attempt. It's so sloppy and amateurish that I cringe every time I see it.

I have no idea how shots like that make it into the final film. Lucas will spend months (and millions) perfecting pointless shots of spaceships landing, but can't be bothered with doing a few more takes to make sure that his (child) actors are getting their lines right? Seriously, I can only see spaceships land so many times but one kid screwing up his scene in a $200 million dollar movie really screws up the experience.

Lucas might be good at writing synopses but he's an awful director.

Spielberg directed the Anakin/Obi Wan & Palpatine/Yoda fights. Unfortunately, they were much too long to leave in their totality. They were ultimately hacked down to size. But they were GREAT fights.

Did anyone notice that Padme (sp?) was still pregnant at her funeral?  Interesting addition to the plot tie in. 

I have to agree with others though, the last half hour of the movie was clearly the best and clearly made you feel like you felt at the end of ROTJ.  I just wish it wasn't over <_<

340689[/snapback]

The funeral was the day after she gave birth, trust me, as a father of five kids, a woman can still look mighty preganant after giving birth. What is more troubling is the size of the twins that came out of a girl who looked to be at the most 5 or 6 months along. For those two babies, she shoulda been Huge!!!!!!