(OT) Review: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

I was going to reply about the Darth Plagueis thing, but that was answered above.

As for Leia's recollection of her mother, could it be of her adoptive mother, i.e. Mrs. Organa?

And I thought that Windu used lightning on Palpatine, or turned Palpatine's lightning back on him, which led to the disfigurement? And I also thought that had Anakin not intervened, Windu would have killed Palpatine, and the disfigurement was the clue to that.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about why the first Death Star took so much longer to build than the second one. When they started building the first Death Star, there were still vestiges of the Republic. Resources would have been less mobilized for a war effort, especially with the Clone Wars drawing to a close. Also, the possibility of Senatorial scrutiny would encourage a smaller percentage of the budget to go into a secret project like the Death Star.

The second time around, it's possible the Empire was in more of a hurry to get the thing built, and more willing to divert resources from Star Destroyers or other military spending. Also, the Empire would be more able to impose onerous tax burdens on people.

341882[/snapback]

also,the Emperor gave out no-bid contracts to his buddies in the military-industrial complex.

Just got back from the theater....I freaking cried.

Who ever is putting down the dialogue in the movie isn't really listening. It sets the entire ending up perfectly.

Lucas outdid himself on this one and I put it right next to Empire.

I thought it was very cool how R2 and C3PO are on the same ship at the end of the movie, at least the interior is exactly the same, as the one that is in the opening of Episode IV when Darth blows down the door. This movie is so chocked full of stuff that I'd go see again about five times. And I've only seen I & II once.

Fantastic job, I was expecting a lot and was still overwhelmed by this movie.

Who ever is putting down the dialogue in the movie isn't really listening. It sets the entire ending up perfectly.

I thought it was very cool how R2 and C3PO are on the same ship at the end of the movie, at least the interior is exactly the same, as the one that is in the opening of Episode IV when Darth blows down the door.

So they're on that ship for 18 years or so? Damn! Also I thought I heard Organa say to have their memories wiped clean. I guess that's why 3PO never acknowledges Vader, but that doesn't explain why Vader doesn't acknowledge 3PO (since Anakin built him).

So they're on that ship for 18 years or so?  Damn!  Also I thought I heard Organa say to have their memories wiped clean.  I guess that's why 3PO never acknowledges Vader, but that doesn't explain why Vader doesn't acknowledge 3PO (since Anakin built him).

341899[/snapback]

Does Vader ever see C3PO in the originals? Also, I may be wrong, but in New Hope, C3PO says the name of the last owner he can remember, and I think it matched up to the name they said to give the droids to in ep III.

I thought it was very cool how R2 and C3PO are on the same ship at the end of the movie, at least the interior is exactly the same, as the one that is in the opening of Episode IV when Darth blows down the door. This movie is so chocked full of stuff that I'd go see again about five times. And I've only seen I & II once.

Fantastic job, I was expecting a lot and was still overwhelmed by this movie.

341896[/snapback]

On top of that, we have a 21 year old rookie who just pitched 5 shut out innings of ball against the World Champs.....I didn't see that coming.

Back to star wars.....I tell you what, I had pretty much the same reaction to the film as you did. Anyone who as allowed themselves to become really connected to this whole thing can very easily get teared up and emotional over this movie. I could not agree with you more about the dialogue and acting. I just don't get that criticism. I could see it with the first two prequels.....it didn't change the fact that I liked them, but I thought the criticism was somewhat valid. But not in Ep.III. The way some folks spoke of it, I expected it to take me out of the film at times, but that never happened. Particularly during the second half of the film, I was friggin riveted. I also feel the same as you regarding repeat viewings. I went at 9:30a on Thurs, and then caught the 1115p that night, and even though I was dead tired by around midnight, I was totally into it again. If I could go right now and see it for a third time, I would. That is a characteristic the original films had that the prequels (for me, at least) have lacked, other than a few select scenes.

I don't expect everyone to like it, but it gets me fired up to hear about others who share the same type of reaction as I did.

also,the Emperor gave out no-bid contracts to his buddies in the military-industrial complex.

341893[/snapback]

:blink:

I would have to think so.  Damn I need to see the OT again!

341909[/snapback]

lol, I'm right there with ya.....I'm trying to hold out until my bro and niece can watch it over here on my home theater....but having them five feet away at all times when I'm in this room is VERY hard lol

And I thought that Windu used lightning on Palpatine, or turned Palpatine's lightning back on him, which led to the disfigurement?  And I also thought that had Anakin not intervened, Windu would have killed Palpatine, and the disfigurement was the clue to that.

341892[/snapback]

Windu was blocking the force lighting with his sabre back to Palpatine. However, Palpatine needed to be physically scarred in oder for his ploy with the senate to work. He needed physical proof that the Jedi tried to assassinate him.

Also, Windu would not have killed Palpatine. He was in no way powerful enough to stop him. Palpatine had it all set up so that Annakin would arrive just in time to save him. There is a moment in the fight where Palpatine could have killed Windu (Windu had his hands up and Palpatine had his sabre inches from his chest...and it was held there for a while) but he didn't. Why? He needed Annakin to be there so his fall to the darkside would be complete.

Palpatine had no problem besting 3 Jedi masters at once (and he saved Windu for Annakin). He also beat Yoda. Obi-wan nor Windu could have beaten Palpatine.

Only Vader could.

1. With the Sith, there are only supposed to be two at any one time: the master and the pupil. Why then was Count Dooku teaching the robot Grevious about the force? Moreover, one's ability to use the Force, in Episode 1, was presumably determined by the mitichlorians present in the bloodstream. How many mitichlorians could a robot like Grevious possibly have?

2. In Episode 4, there is some kind of council on the Death Star, headed by some guy with a British accent. Darth Vader is on the council also, but at least one of the committee members saw the Force as a dying religion, and Darth Vader as a kind of dinosaur. But you'd think the power structure that had evolved at the end of Episode 3 would have placed Darth Vader or the Emperor at the head of this council. Not that there was a clear explanation for why the council--with its political games--was permitted to come into existence in the first place.

3. In Return of the Jedi, Luke and Leah had a conversation about their respective mothers. Leah said that she had vague memories of her mother, and that the only thing she remembered clearly was her mother was very beautiful. Unless you are prepared to accept the idea that Leah has memories from the day she was born--which I am not--this represents an inconsistency.

4. In the fight between Obi Wan and Darth Vader, the high ground was of pivotal importance; yet did not appear to matter very much in any of the other fights.

5. Count Dooku was able to use lightning in Episode 2 with no apparent difficulty; and seemingly did so to save himself the trouble of taking out his light saber. Likewise, Palpatine himself used lightning with no apparent problem in the Return of the Jedi. Yet Palpatine was permanently disfigured by using lightning in Episode 3.

341888[/snapback]

1. Also, Grevious was not a droid. He was the Alpha proto-type of Vader basically. He was half robot, half human (thus the heart and chronic cough). He could very well have midoclorians since he had blood. Also, you can be a dark side user of the force without being a sith. Just as you can use the force without being a Jedi. (according to EU at least).

2. Already answered...

3. This is a result of Lucas cutting a large sequence in Episode III which showed Padme forming the Rebel Alliance. The original cut of III was 3.5 hours. I think it's a story over sight and one aspect they could not fix without overloading III with too much story. (Other elements that were cut: Spielberg directed 2 of the action scenes, the Obi-Wan/Grevious duel and the Yoda/Palpatine duel. Both were apparently quite long so Lucas could only use portions of 'em. Also, a large battle scene on the Wookie planet was also cut. This according to EW at least).

4. There wasn't any other fights on uneven ground. If you saw when Vader jumps onto the same platform as Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan tried to cut his legs out but couldn't because they were level.

5. See my above post. Palpatine needed to be disfigured in his battle with Windu. He needed physical proof to point to when addressing the senate. It makes his argument for an Empire that much more compelling.

I saw Episode III about 24 hours ago, and I am still replaying it again and again and again in my mind.

Amazing to see it all play out.

Anakin is almost justified to join the dark side (trying to save Padme'). Sure, throw things at me... but if I truly believed that I needed more power in order to save the life of my wife... I would be VERY tempted to look into getting that power.

Also the irony that the future that Anakin saw (in his dream) and wanted to stop regarding Padme' would have never happened had he not become a Sith. He created the problem by trying to stop it. Knowing the future backfired here... BIG TIME.

With the masterful light sabre duels between Obiwan/Anakin and Dooko; Obiwan and Greivous; Windoo and Palpatine, Yoda and Palpatine; Vader and Obiwan. Those are all incredible fights... one after another.

I saw two things that I think are discrepencies. Definitely Leia's memory of her mother... "she died when I was very young", how can she remember just the few minutes spent with Padme?

Secondly, Luke says in ESB, while in the Degoba system (where he meets Yoda) that he thought it was strangely familiar and like out of a dream. I assumed that Luke was going to be brought there for a few moments when Obiwan drops off Yoda, but it never happened... Luke is instead taken straight to Tontoine.

Yet, I have to get the movie all the props I can give it. 4 stars! 10/10. Amazing... had me riveted. I can't wait to see it again.

Also, the ending of Episode III on Tontoine is so similar to the beginning of Episode IV with Luke on Tontoine. This was definitely not a coincodince.

341888[/snapback]

1. the ability to use a lightsabre does not make one a jedi or a sith

2. i'll use another classic American film to explain the political structure of the Empire. Palpatine as Vito Corleone. Vadar as Luca Brazzi. Tarkin as Clemenza or Tessio

3. yeah, i caught that one too. maybe leia was talking about her adoptive mother. or maybe its like how in the original star trek series nobody had ever seen a romulan, but on the enterprise series the romulans made frequent appearances

4. i don't recall any other jedi battles having the low ground as flowing liquid magma

5. I can see 3 possiblities

5a. Maybe Palpatine was disfigured even more in RotJ. He was one ugly mofo, maybe you just didn't notice :blink:

5b. Palpatine is taking on Samuel L Jackson. Thats gotta take alot of strength outta you. I mean dude's lightsabre is the one that says "One badass motherf*cking Jedi"

5c. He's not disfigured by the lightning. It's his true face

The adoptive mother angle makes sense. And having watched the movie again, it did seem like Windu's light saber was reflecting the lightning back at the Emperor. That brings up the question of why the Emperor would continue using the lightning. Maybe it was because it would be impossible for Windu to simultaneously use his light saber to reflect lightning and use it to chop off the Emperor's head. Also as other posters have pointed out, the disfigurement gave added credibility to the Emperor's claim to have been attacked by the Jedi. Finally, it gave a sense of urgency to Annakin to do something.

The high ground thing didn't make sense to me because Anakin didn't have to jump straight at Obi Wan. A smaller jump at a 45 degree angle to the line connecting Anakin with Obi Wan would have gotten Anakin onto the ground without giving Obi Wan the chance to take advantage of the situation. Vader could then have used defensive tactics to hold off Obi Wan until he'd worked his way to higher ground. Given that this was the case, maybe Obi Wan's high ground comment was an attempt to goad Vader into a direct, frontal attack. Vader clearly had pride in his ability, and Obi Wan's comment persuaded him to eschew the smart move and just launch a foolish, head-on attack.

to me it seemed that this movie was the artsiest of the saga, there were dream sequences, slow-mo shots(the clone troopers turning on the Jedi was particulary riveting) and the backgrounds were extremely believable. the Coruscant night with its shimmering skyline in the distance looks alot like L.A. from my rooftop

Take this for what it's worth, but I just read on another website that in an interview with Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine) he said that althogh it was not explained in the the film, Palpatine/Sidious had the ability to alter his face, and that how it looked after the Windu confrontation was how it *really* looked. He had to alter it to make it more acceptable when he was involved in the senate, and then - as stated above - to use it as evidence against the Jedi.

What events of the prequels can I say that Palpatine had his hand in? The list is staggering. Even Anakin's birth, which he hints about in Ep.III!

when did Palpatine hint about Anikins's birth - what did he say? I dont remember that line in the movie.

I went to the movie with my father yesterday, since my father & I saw the original opening week together 28 yrs ago!

when did Palpatine hint about Anikins's birth - what did he say?  I dont remember that line in the movie.

I went to the movie with my father yesterday, since my father & I saw the original opening week together 28 yrs ago!

341990[/snapback]

I just saw EpIII yesterday...What a piece of caca!! I guess I forgot to drink the Kool-Aid!

PTR