(OT) Review: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

For those that have seen the movie.  How graphic is it and should kids ages 7 to 10 see it?

340939[/snapback]

most of the violence is in typical offscreen SW style -- the worst on screen were amputations like Luke in Empire and the final scene with Anakin & Obi Wan that I cannot divulge more about without giving it away.

I firmly believe it was PG-13 because of the feeling of intensity from start to finish with few breaks. I will probably take my 8 year old on Saturday and I'm generally very conservative on what he sees.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretentious overt propaganda if you ask me.  Flame away.......

340839[/snapback]

you can compare starwars to G.W. Bush's presidency, but i do think there are A FEW diffrences.

im waiting for bush to bust out a lightsaber and walk in to a elementary school... :)

For those that have seen the movie.  How graphic is it and should kids ages 7 to 10 see it?

340939[/snapback]

like the other guy said, there are a few scenes that are very questionable. like the reason vador wears that suit. :)

but most of the fight scenes are up close, and all you see are flashing lights and then the loss of a limb.

definatly the darkest starwars. but its not as bad as alot of stuff on TV.

no real cursing, or blood. but people do get cut in half.

im waiting for bush to bust out a lightsaber and walk in to a elementary school...  :)

340951[/snapback]

A or An ?

The article a is used before consonant sounds; an is used before vowel sounds.

Words beginning with h, o and u sometimes begin with a vowel sound, sometimes a consonant sound.

:lol:

A or An ?

The article a is used before consonant sounds; an is used before vowel sounds.

Words beginning with h, o and u sometimes begin with a vowel sound, sometimes a consonant sound.

:lol:

340962[/snapback]

now dont start that stuff again. :)

:lol:  :P  ;)

Yeah, Team America didn't have anything to say politically.  :)

But of course if it's how you view the world, then it's not "political".

340932[/snapback]

I guess being anti political is a political point of view in itself. The film took shots at Hollywood activist retards that dont know when to shut thier holes about thier personal views. So your right. You got over on me. It kinda is political in that regard.

I totally understand that some people just dont' like this kind of movie, but the whole 'political' thing holds no water.

I agree. The following exhange between Vader and Obi-Wan is the one that some people seem to be taking as a poltical message:

ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

OBI-WAN: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes.

I guess the supposed implication is that President Bush is too much of an absolutist, just like the evil Sith. Whatever political power that exchange had is lost when you consider that throughout the movie, Palpatine sounds like a liberal relativist:

PALPATINE: Remember back to your early teachings. Anakin. "All those who gain power are afraid to lose it." Even the Jedi.

ANAKIN: The Jedi use their power for good.

PALPATINE: Good is a point of view, Anakin. And the Jedi point of view is not the only valid one. The Dark Lords of the Sith believe in security and justice also, yet they are considered by the Jedi to be. . .

ANAKIN: . . . evil.

PALPATINE: . . . from a Jedi's point of view. The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power. The difference between the two is the Sith are not afraid of the dark side of the Force. That is why they are more powerful.

ANAKIN: The Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They think inward, only about themselves.

PALPATINE: And the Jedi don't?

So if Lucas is making a political movie, he's managed to portray the Sith as both conservative absolutists and liberal relativists.

I am not big into Star Wars so do not know the whole story.  To me it appeared that Lucas tried to create some paralell to GW and American foreign policy to the Stiths.  Not even in a clever way- very overt.....Michael Moore loves this film I am certain

340844[/snapback]

the story line was writen SEVERAL years ago. back when GW was still getting DWIs and doin coke... :)

but i got a quote for ya. i think the movie follows it very well. (the quote is not from the movie).

"The leader who beats the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into patriotic fervor, for patriotism is a double-edged sword. It emboldens the blood and narrows the mind.

And when the drums of war have reached fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need to seize the rights of the citizenry.

Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know?

For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."

No one has mentioned the self-fulfilling prophecy. Anakin has dreams that Padme dies in childbirth. The series of events he chooses to try to prevent this from happening lead the prophecy being fulfilled. This is a lot like Oedipus or any number of other Greek myths. If Anakin had ignored his visions, would Padme have survived?

No one has mentioned the self-fulfilling prophecy. Anakin has dreams that Padme dies in childbirth. The series of events he chooses to try to prevent this from happening lead the prophecy being fulfilled. This is a lot like Oedipus or any number of other Greek myths. If Anakin had ignored his visions, would Padme have survived?

341019[/snapback]

they said she was fine. but was dying for some unknown reason. vador thaught she betrayed him. it was like, while he was burned and in pain he reached out and killed her. (i didnt know the force could do that... :blink: )

they said she was fine. but was dying for some unknown reason. vador thaught she betrayed him. it was like, while he was burned and in pain he reached out and killed her. (i didnt know the force could do that...  :blink: )

341026[/snapback]

I wouldnt discount palpatine having something to do with her death...at that point, he was still much stronger than anakin/vader, and he knew the onyl he could have anakin/vader completely under his control was is she was dead, and anakin thought it his fault...

they said she was fine. but was dying for some unknown reason. vador thaught she betrayed him. it was like, while he was burned and in pain he reached out and killed her. (i didnt know the force could do that...  :blink: )

341026[/snapback]

What about the theory that she dies of a broken heart....

What about the theory that she dies of a broken heart....

341031[/snapback]

if i was 10 years old, maybe, but since im not, i dout it.

i was also confused when the emperor said that vader killed her. and that he didnt know she had the kids.

at first i thaught the emperor ment darth strangled her to death. but now i think diffrently. :blink:

most of the violence is in typical offscreen SW style -- the worst on screen were amputations like Luke in Empire and the final scene with Anakin & Obi Wan that I cannot divulge more about without giving it away.

I firmly believe it was PG-13 because of the feeling of intensity from start to finish with few breaks.  I will probably take my 8 year old on Saturday and I'm generally very conservative on what he sees.

340948[/snapback]

*****spoilers****

I agree. I don't think it is too intense for a younger child. If they showed the younglings get killed on camera, it would be. There is some chopping off of limbs and decapitatins, but they are not too gruesome.

*****spoilers****

I agree. I don't think it is too intense for a younger child. If they showed the younglings get killed on camera, it would be. There is some chopping off of limbs and decapitatins, but they are not too gruesome.

341057[/snapback]

i was waiting for the security camera footage showing that, but it didnt show any killing... :blink:

Did anyone notice the plot flaw involving Obi Wan and his knowledge of Leia? In episode III we see him witness the birth of the twins and then witness the handing over to Bail Organa, but then in ESB or ROTJ (I don't remember which one) Obi wan doesn't know about Leia. He says Luke is their only hope and then Yoda says, "There is another".

Is my memory not serving me correctly? Is this or is this not a plot flaw?

Did anyone notice the plot flaw involving Obi Wan and his knowledge of Leia?  In episode III we see him witness the birth of the twins and then witness the handing over to Bail Organa, but then in ESB or ROTJ (I don't remember which one) Obi wan doesn't know about Leia.  He says Luke is their only hope and then Yoda says, "There is another".

Is my memory not serving me correctly?  Is this or is this not a plot flaw?

341092[/snapback]

I don't think he doesn't recall, I think he just discounts Leia because, clearly Obi Wan is a chauvinist pig.

Did anyone notice the plot flaw involving Obi Wan and his knowledge of Leia?  In episode III we see him witness the birth of the twins and then witness the handing over to Bail Organa, but then in ESB or ROTJ (I don't remember which one) Obi wan doesn't know about Leia.  He says Luke is their only hope and then Yoda says, "There is another".

It could just be that he doesn't consider Leia a viable option. Why? I don't know.

Besides, there's no guarantee that that line is about Leia. Yoda could've been talking about Anakin.