QB Shove Play Needs to Stop

ArtVandalay

10 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Sorry,  didn't know that was the only other option.  You're right, let's tell the other team when we are going to snap the ball on a sneak, because our only other option is a shotgun run for -2.

Thanks for the levity. 

Man, you're a ball of fun with everyone I see. 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

When you line up the giant people and just smash into each other, you are telling the other team the play beforehand. I would like to see a motion man come running across at the snap to make the defense at least think twice. 

OR

With all the confusion of 22 enormous men packed into a tiny space for that play, have your QB line up under LG with the big player (the "pusher") slightly offset behind center. Snap the ball to the "pusher," have the QB surge forward like he's sneaking, and have the "pusher" throw to the Te who leaks into the flat. If it's not there throw it at the TE's feet.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:17 PM, Augie said:

Unless……you don’t.

Keeping all options open is always a good thing. You might draw encroachment in the last minute the playoffs with that. We’ll never know. 

Pushing is legal, pulling is not. Push when it makes sense. 

Like a rugby maul.

21 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

😲 I've exposed my true identity!

I need to know...where did you get the cheeseburgers from?  Must be some kind of burger to have that effect on the team. Need to try them. 😂

Edited by Big Turk

On 11/14/2022 at 9:07 PM, ArtVandalay said:

When I first saw this play I thought it was clever... then like the rest of the league I saw it again, and again, and again... we are half way through the year and they must have run this play a half dozen to a dozen times at least. 

The whole league knows they run it... and yesterday the Vikings jumped the snap and knew the Bills were running it.

The issue is by sending Gabe in motion, you are tipping your snap count. The defense is watching Gabe in motion and jumping when he's on position for the push.

Clever at first but now you are essentially announcing to the defense when you are going to snap the ball. And you told the Vikings yesterday when the snap was coming perhaps the most important part of getting a sneak to be successful, not letting the defense on to your cadence. 

More crying over spilled milk. 🤦‍♂️ That screw up was solely on Allen. 
Shove Play is here to stay.

Edited by Chandler#81

Old school football strategy is to just tell your opponents what you are going to do and dare them to stop it.  The Bills are in that category of team when it comes to their pass offense. But they are definitely not in that category for power running. The Bills have had such trouble in short yardage and have avoided sneaks up until this year because they know their line just isn't cut out for blowing people up.  So why then in that very dangerous situation would they not at least try some sort of disguise to their playcalling. Everybody knew the sneak was coming and the Vikings could have easily stopped them for a safety which would have also been a disaster under the circumstances. Instead (because its the Bills) the worst case scenario happens and they gift the Vikings a TD.  They also had the previous experience of Josh getting blown up in the Titans game last year as ample warning of what could go wrong with Josh and the OLine not executing but still they went with the sneak.  The fumble is on Josh but the coaches put him in a situation which was iffy at best.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.