What coach plus Allen would be the most successful?

Milanos Milano

Who would be more successful and have more potential Super Bowls?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be more successful?

27 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We can and should have Payton next year. It’s a legitimate possibility, but we likely know it won’t happen because Terry is to loyal and doesn’t know how to win. 

Look what he did with the crabman. If we haven’t had any basic conversation with Payton just because, then do we really trust Terry to show us the baby? 

I honestly dont see how having Payton makes us any better.  He had Drew Brees for almost his full career and hasnt done a thing McD hasnt done since 2009

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I honestly dont see how having Payton makes us any better.  He had Drew Brees for almost his full career and hasnt done a thing McD hasnt done since 2009

It doesn’t matter to me. What I saw today from McD was a fireable offense. He ran a QB sneak on our own goaline. That is such a dangerous call when we have a mobile QB. It’s dumber than losing in 13 seconds. McD decision was Mickey Mouse club level. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It doesn’t matter to me. What I saw today from McD was a fireable offense. He ran a QB sneak on our own goaline. That is such a dangerous call when we have a mobile QB. It’s dumber than losing in 13 seconds. McD decision was Mickey Mouse club level. 

McD doesnt call offensive plays

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

McD doesnt call offensive plays

You are right, but he makes the final calls. So you are telling me he didn’t know that Dorsey made the call to do a QB sneak on our goaline and didn’t override it? If that is the case, then he either needs to have a long sit down with Dorsey and tell him he’s on a very short leash or possibly fired. The buck stops with McD. 

McDermott is the general. How does the general not know what decisions are being made on the battlefield. Do they not communicate in anyway? Because that QB sneak on our own goaline was so bad of a call, heads need to roll. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

27 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m pretty sure Payton is smart enough to not run a QB sneak on our own goaline. I’m done with McD , I will gladly take the risk with Payton. 

Man. He ran that exact same QB sneak multiple times during his time with the saints with Taysum Hill under center. Don’t be revisionist and blow smoke…. When you have a 240 lb QB a sneak for 1-3 yards should be a gimmie play. The snap was botched. Payton ain’t some godlike coach. He’s certainly a better OC than Dorsey at this point, but you’re forgetting that Payton had 8 years as an OC before even becoming a HC. Playcalling improves with experience, and if anyone thinks that Dorsey wouldn’t hit some rough patches they’re dumber than a bag of doorknobs. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Man. He ran that exact same QB sneak multiple times during his time with the saints with Taysum Hill under center. Don’t be revisionist and blow smoke…. When you have a 240 lb QB a sneak for 1-3 yards should be a gimmie play. The snap was botched. Payton ain’t some godlike coach. He’s certainly a better OC than Dorsey at this point, but you’re forgetting that Payton had 8 years as an OC before even becoming a HC. Playcalling improves with experience, and if anyone thinks that Dorsey wouldn’t hit some rough patches then they’re dumb as a bag of doorknobs. 

On his own goaline? Can you link me a video, would love to see the proof of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

Listen to WGR when I can and they seem to be McDermott apologist. McDermott seems like a solid and good person and great coach for the day to day stuff but it’s just seems so evident that he lacks awareness or ability to gameday coach and manage. So thankful with what he’s done culturally but this ain’t getting better.  

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

On his own goaline? Can you link me a video, would love to see the proof of that. 

Nope. Searching any cross reference of “Saints” “Taysom Hill” “endzone” “QB sneak” just gets you touchdown highlights; I tried 🤷‍♂️. Hit YouTube, almost every qb sneak on there is a TD play. Gonna have to go game by game and watch every play and I don’t care that much. 

Fact remains, Allen has been very good a QB sneaks. QB sneaks are often used to create space in that situation. Morse and Allen ***** that play up. Is what it is. The call wasn’t great, but it’s been generally reliable over the history of the nfl when you have a decent OLine. They just ***** it up today. It happens. 

My issues with McD have nothing to do with particular plays or even issues in a particular season. My issue is that there’s a mid season slump every year with similar problems…. ie, they stop running the ball and can’t stop the run which causes a cluster of loses. That’s the issue to me. All of those other coaches mentioned have issues of their own. I’d honestly rather have Dorsey calling offensive plays than Matt Patricia or Greg Roman. Hell, McVay can’t seem to get ***** right with an all pro QB and an all pro WR. The grass is always greener….

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

Nope. Searching any cross reference of “Saints” “Taysom Hill” “endzone” “QB sneak” just gets you touchdown highlights; I tried 🤷‍♂️. Hit YouTube, almost every qb sneak on there is a TD play. Gonna have to go game by game and watch every play and I don’t care that much. 

Fact remains, Allen has been very good a QB sneaks. QB sneaks are often used to create space in that situation. Morse and Allen ***** that play up. Is what it is. The call wasn’t great, but it’s been generally reliable over the history of the nfl when you have a decent OLine. They just ***** it up today. It happens. 

My issues with McD have nothing to do with particular plays or even issues in a particular season. My issue is that there’s a mid season slump every year with similar problems…. ie, they stop running the ball and can’t stop the run which causes a cluster of loses. That’s the issue to me. All of those other coaches mentioned have issues of their own. I’d honestly rather have Dorsey calling offensive plays than Matt Patricia or Greg Roman. Hell, McVay can’t seem to get ***** right with an all pro QB and an all pro WR. The grass is always greener….

A QB sneak on your own goaline is such a unnecessary dangerous situation that it should never be attempted. To much can go wrong. We were up by 4 points. If you are in shotgun and its a bad snap, you have statistically more time to recover it or kicking it into the back of the end zone for a safety. Being under center increases the odds of a bad snap leading to a recover for the other team. It’s such a stupid stupid risk, that its a fireable offense. Especially when you have a mobile QB with a FB/TE that can rollout with him with the option of throwing it away if he can’t make it out of the end zone. McD or Dorsey needs to fall on that ax. It’s inexcusable and the Buffalo media or Pegula will do nothing about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

A QB sneak on your own goaline is such a unnecessary dangerous situation that it should never be attempted. To much can go wrong. We were up by 4 points. If you are in shotgun and its a bad snap, you have statistically more time to recover it or kicking it into the back of the end zone for a safety. Being under center increases the odds of a bad snap leading to a recover for the other team. It’s such a stupid stupid risk, that its a fireable offense. Especially when you have a mobile QB with a FB/TE that can rollout with him with the option of throwing it away if he can’t make it out of the end zone. McD or Dorsey needs to fall on that ax. It’s inexcusable and the Buffalo media or Pegula will do nothing about it. 

My call of choice there would have been a rpo out of shotgun or even an old school option to get the ball on the wing. I get the concept of using the sneak to just steal 2 yards though. Problem is they’ve done that before and it’s expected now. Dorsey is proving to lack situational innovation, and it’s hurting the team. More than that though is their willingness to abandon the run in the second half of these games. That’s damning, especially when Singletary’s balling. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Allen ain’t the hoodie’s type of QB.  Belichik would never put up with the turnovers and head scratching plays.  

BS, he would love to have a QB like Allen. I guarantee he would not be throwing so many picks. Mcd does not have the ability to reign in the stupid plays made not just by Allen but the team as a whole. How many times do you see Diggs talking trash?  The coaching staff is in over their heads trying to keep these players in line. 

1 minute ago, Westside said:

BS, he would love to have a QB like Allen. I guarantee he would not be throwing so many picks. Mcd does not have the ability to reign in the stupid plays made not just by Allen but the team as a whole. How many times do you see Diggs talking trash?  The coaching staff is in over their heads trying to keep these players in line. 

Fair enough, but Josh is yet to show the ability to play disciplined ball control offense even when the situation calls for it.

My guess is you’d get a slightly better Cam Newton in the hoodie’s offense.  

IMO, the problem is that McDermott's a defensive coach designed to win games 17-13, kinda like his first couple years in Buffalo ... then all of a sudden, you have an all-world QB and McDermott is unable to adjust to coaching that kind of a team ... McDermott lacks killer instinct, when the Bills get a lead, McDermott goes ultra-conservative and leads/games are squandered.  KC, for example, doesn't do that ... whenever Jacksonville sort of got back into the game yesterday, the Chiefs are able to make huge plays on offense and put up additional touchdowns to put games clearly out of reach ... the Bills under McDermott don't do that ... they play to not lose instead of playing to win (and therefore end up losing way more often than they should).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Fair enough, but Josh is yet to show the ability to play disciplined ball control offense even when the situation calls for it.

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I respectfully disagree, I think BB would clamp down on the nonsense that Diggs displays after every catch. This team needs to be more professional. McD isn't up for that task, a coach like BB is. Do you think McD would have a winning record if he were coaching the patriots*? i really don't think so. He's a mediocre coach with a pro bowl QB which he seems to be destroying. This team needs discipline, they play without it. BB would never let that happen.

Just now, BernieBill said:

IMO, the problem is that McDermott's a defensive coach designed to win games 17-13, kinda like his first couple years in Buffalo ... then all of a sudden, you have an all-world QB and McDermott is unable to adjust to coaching that kind of a team ... McDermott lacks killer instinct, when the Bills get a lead, McDermott goes ultra-conservative and leads/games are squandered.  KC, for example, doesn't do that ... whenever Jacksonville sort of got back into the game yesterday, the Chiefs are able to make huge plays on offense and put up additional touchdowns to put games clearly out of reach ... the Bills under McDermott don't do that ... they play to not lose instead of playing to win (and therefore end up losing way more often than they should).

i agree, he got us this far. He seems incapable of taking the next step.

Weird thread.  The coaching staff had almost nothing to do with yesterday's loss.  With just basic execution on one of a bunch of relatively routine plays, we win.  Diggs should catch that pass on the sideline.  Knock down the pass to Jefferson instead of trying to catch it.  Don't jump offside on fourth and goal.  Don't fumble the snap.  Don't throw a dumb interception in OT.  Every single one of these was a failure of execution, not anything the coaches did wrong.    

4 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

Ironically, people are criticizing this exact same coach for turning down a FG and going for the kill instead.

Sometimes you can't just can't satisfy people no matter what you do.

Against the Packers, Bills up 24-7 at halftime, Bills score 3 second half points.  Against the Vikings, Bills up 24-10 at halftime, 6 second half points.  I vehemently disagree with McDermott's decision not to kick the FG and go up 13 yesterday ... I don't classify that as "killer instinct," I classify it as just plain dumb ... you have to go up 2 TDs in the 4th quarter.  I'm talking about a general slowing down of the offense in 2nd halves of games, instead of keeping your foot on their throats and putting games out of reach (Kansas City has scored over 40 points 3 times this season ... remember the Brady-Randy Moss year in NE?  Utter domination offensively and running up scores ... the Bills should be that kind of team).

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Weird thread.  The coaching staff had almost nothing to do with yesterday's loss.  With just basic execution on one of a bunch of relatively routine plays, we win.  Diggs should catch that pass on the sideline.  Knock down the pass to Jefferson instead of trying to catch it.  Don't jump offside on fourth and goal.  Don't fumble the snap.  Don't throw a dumb interception in OT.  Every single one of these was a failure of execution, not anything the coaches did wrong.    

Ironically, people are criticizing this exact same coach for turning down a FG and going for the kill instead.

Sometimes you can't just can't satisfy people no matter what you do.

We had the game won yesterday and blew it because of coaching. You don’t QB sneak on your own goaline. It’s such a stupid unnecessary risk playcall. I’m done with McD. 

58 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

You don’t QB sneak on your own goaline. 

Why?  

The situation that we faced yesterday -- first down at the six-inch line, needing only one snap to end the game -- comes up what, once ever 25 years or so?  I don't understand how people are so confident in saying that obviously it would be better to hand the ball off deep in the end zone or roll the QB out or whatever people have in mind.  

I mean, seriously, in what universe is a quarterback sneak "risky?"  It's the least-risky play in professional football other than a kneel-down.

Edited by BillsFanSD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.