Not discrimination to refuse cake sale.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I posed this to Chef yesterday but not sure that I got an answer. As an Architect and Christian should I be forced to design a synagogue or a mosque? Just like the baker, mine is a creative field. And just like the baker I’m not promoting or broadcasting a hatred for anyone by those actions. I’m just politely and privately telling the perspective client “no thank you”. (In real life I actually designed both.)

And why would you say no thank you unless your felt they were not deserving of your good work?   Imagine if a Christian couple came to me (more about that later) asking for financial help and I said “nah, I don’t work with YOU people!!”  Now notice how my words were more “hurtful” than your polite “no thank you” but it still meant essentially the same thing?  

Back to the Christian couple. Our company President has a radio show on a Bay Area Christian radio station.  I spoke to a woman who called in.  Her first question was “are you Christian?”  I said I was raised that way but no longer was. She said thank you and hung up. Of course she can choose to work with whoever she likes but seems a bit silly to me to base your decision on whether I have a faith or not. 

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And why would you say no thank you unless your felt they were not deserving of your good work?   Imagine if a Christian couple came to me (more about that later) asking for financial help and I said “nah, I don’t work with YOU people!!”  Now notice how my words were more “hurtful” than your polite “no thank you” but it still meant essentially the same thing?  

Back to the Christian couple. Our company President has a radio show on a Bay Area Christian radio station.  I spoke to a woman who called in.  Her first question was “are you Christian?”  I said I was raised that way but no longer was. She said thank you and hung up. Of course she can choose to work with whoever she likes but seems a bit silly to me to base your decision on whether I have a faith or not. 

So you believe I should be forced to design the building? Okay, that’s one person heard from. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you believe I should be forced to design the building? Okay, that’s one person heard from. 

Nope. Just pointing out the fact that you feel you could say no because it will be used by people who worship a different God and for that reason only. 

21 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks but as I already said, I actually designed the buildings requested. 

Of course however you seem to think you could say no based on the beliefs of those that use it.  And of course you can but I hope you understand the absurdity of it.  Back to the thread.  It’s a ***** cake!!!

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So the rules DO apply to Christians unlike what you said, 

That is not what I said, and I'm quite certain you have no idea how foolish and uninformed you appear.

The Old Testament contains a number of rules those in the Judaism were to abide by.

Many of them, but not limited to, circumcision, keeping the Sabbath, rules for keeping the Sabbath, strict dietary rules and rules for atonement after breaking one, did not carry forward to the Christian faith after the sacrifice of Christ and the spreading of that faith beyond the Jews.

None of those apply to the Christian.

The Ten Commandments certainly did, as I pointed out using a quote from Jesus.

Most people are very aware of that, no matter their belief, and don't find that too hard to understand.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

That is not what I said, and I'm quite certain you have no idea how foolish and uninformed you appear.

The Old Testament contains a number of rules those in the Judaism were to abide by.

Many of them, but not limited to, circumcision, keeping the Sabbath, rules for keeping the Sabbath, strict dietary rules and rules for atonement after breaking one, did not carry forward to the Christian faith after the sacrifice of Christ and the spreading of that faith beyond the Jews.

Most people are very aware of that, no matter their belief, and don't find that too hard to understand.

Serious question. When/where/why did homosexuality as a sin come about?  

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

So you made a mistake. Just admit it and move on. 

7 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

His only mistake was trying to have a serious discourse with you.

He wasn't trying to say anything to me. He was replying to someone else. 

You are an idiot 🤣

Just now, sherpa said:

I made no mistake.

Your inability to understand what was said is not someone else's mistake.

Twice. You have made two mistakes now, the original, and now your stubborn, mindless refusal to simply acknowledge the fact. 

It's a dirty bird that fouls its own nest! 

37 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Serious question. When/where/why did homosexuality as a sin come about?  

No offense, but I am not going to do other's work.

If you are interested, it is incredibly easy to find that in the Old and New Testaments.

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He wasn't trying to say anything to me. He was replying to someone else. 

You are an idiot 🤣

Twice. You have made two mistakes now, the original, and now your stubborn, mindless refusal to simply acknowledge the fact. 

It's a dirty bird that fouls its own nest! 

Ya. Sure.

What I said is available on the previous page, and you boldfaced it in your ignorant response.

What I said was:

"It contains a lot of rules, called "The Law," that applied only to that group."

Never, ever did I say that any rule in the Old Testament was not applicable to the Christian faith.

That conclusion is your idiotic and false interpretation.

That is not my problem.

By the way, you've already called me an "idiot," along with coward, liar, unstable and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head, so no need to repeat yourself.

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Ya. Sure.

What I said is available on the previous page, and you boldfaced it in your ignorant response.

What I said was:

"It contains a lot of rules, called "The Law," that applied only to that group."

Never, ever did I say that any rule in the Old Testament was not applicable to the Christian faith.

That conclusion is your idiotic and false interpretation.

That is not my problem.

By the way, you've already called me an "idiot," along with coward, liar, unstable and a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head, so no need to repeat yourself.

ONLY TO THAT GROUP! Laws, rules, that's what the ten commandments were. 

Gees, just admit you were wrong! 

29 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Do you feel that it's a sin?  

I am never going to get into such a discussion here.

I doubt anyone on this board has worked with more homosexuals than I, and like all folks, they are individuals and different from each other.

What I strongly feel is that no religion should be forced to perform a marriage ceremony for those folks, just as that group should not be forced, and thankfully aren't, to perform any religious ceremony for a host of other reasons.

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I am never going to get into such a discussion here.

I doubt anyone on this board has worked with more homosexuals than I, and like all folks, they are individuals and different from each other.

What I strongly feel is that no religion should be forced to perform a marriage ceremony for those folks, just as that group should not be forced, and thankfully aren't, to perform any religious ceremony for a host of other reasons.

You all are missing my point.  I'm not talking about forcing anyone to do anything.  My whole original point way back when I started this conversation was isn't it time for Christianity to modernize it's "playbook" to not look at homosexuality as a sin?  Unless you feel homosexuality is a choice (which I feel strongly it's not) how can anyone who feels that we are all made in God's imagine consider who any human chooses to love/marry is a sin?  It's just so counterintuitive to the love Jesus taught to consider it a sin.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You all are missing my point.  I'm not talking about forcing anyone to do anything.  My whole original point way back when I started this conversation was isn't it time for Christianity to modernize it's "playbook" to not look at homosexuality as a sin?  Unless you feel homosexuality is a choice (which I feel strongly it's not) how can anyone who feels that we are all made in God's imagine consider who any human chooses to love/marry is a sin?  It's just so counterintuitive to the love Jesus taught to consider it a sin.  

I am not missing your point.

You are asking me to voice a judgement on someone else's behavior, and I am not going to do that. It is warned against time and time again in the Bible.

Regarding changing the playbook, there are ways to interpret things that govern Christian faith that are mentioned in the New Testament.

If one interprets those a certain way, it is not up for "modernization." 

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I am not missing your point.

You are asking me to voice a judgement on someone else's behavior, and I am not going to do that. It is warned against time and time again in the Bible.

Regarding changing the playbook, there are ways to interpret things that govern Christian faith that are mentioned in the New Testament.

If one interprets those a certain way, it is not up for "modernization." 

I'm not sure I understand your last point.  Are there different ways to interpret whether or not homosexuality is a sin?  

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I'm not sure I understand your last point.  Are there different ways to interpret whether or not homosexuality is a sin?  

Read what is there yourself, and you can interpret it for yourself.

Obviously there are different views.

What I know is that the church I belong to, which is a mainstream Christian Protestant faith, doesn't perform the ceremony for a gay couple, and doesn't restrict anyone from the regular services, and I'm OK with that, because I have no interest in people's personal lives nor in judging such matters.