Serious Question From An Eagles Fan

The Eagles have spent the last five seasons trying to push the stone up the hill and get that first Lombardi trophy. Three straight NFC championship game losses followed by this past Super Bowl defeat has left a sour taste in the mouths of many, but not nearly all Eagles fans. Some are content to contend every year, to go to a playoff game or two, and are confident that there will always be next year.

Now, with the TO situation and the contractual discontent of others, particularly Brian Westbrook, many Eagles fans are afraid the window will close, and that we've seen all we're going to see. If that happens, I don't know if I'll look upon the past four years with fondness or with bitterness. I suspect the latter.

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this question. How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction? Or perhaps with bitterness and emptiness? I grew up in upstate NY and rooted for the Bills in every Super Bowl. I can only imagine how crushing it must have been for you.

Thanks for your input.

The Eagles have spent the last five seasons trying to push the stone up the hill and get that first Lombardi trophy.  Three straight NFC championship game losses followed by this past Super Bowl defeat has left a sour taste in the mouths of many, but not nearly all Eagles fans.  Some are content to contend every year, to go to a playoff game or two, and are confident that there will always be next year.

Now, with the TO situation and the contractual discontent of others, particularly Brian Westbrook, many Eagles fans are afraid the window will close, and that we've seen all we're going to see.  If that happens, I don't know if I'll look upon the past four years with fondness or with bitterness.  I suspect the latter.

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this question.  How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction? Or perhaps with bitterness and emptiness?  I grew up in upstate NY and rooted for the Bills in every Super Bowl.  I can only imagine how crushing it must have been for you.

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

Travis Henry for Corey Simon? :D

Different times and different situations between the two teams. The Bills did not have to contend with free agency like now. The players were pretty consistent from year to year. Many of the Bills players "moved up the ladder" together. Teams today are pieced together and hope that they can make a run and stay away from injury. When the Bills had an injury there was a really good player behind him to backfill.

In general, I look back at those teams with fondness and admiration knowing that that kind of run will not happen again.

I don't see it as crushing ...... don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have won four straight than have lost four straight, but the bottom line is that the Bills of the 90's gave us fans some damn good football. There were things to look forward to every week, plays and players to cheer. Heros and memories were made almost every week. Stories were played out that have been told from father to son, and are now being told to our grandsons .......... it was a glorious time, a fun time to be a Bills fan for four years running (with the exception of four particular unfortunate Sunday nights).

I understand some fans feel if their team doesn't win the super bowl that they are a failure, and that's OK, everybody has their own yardsticks. My personal yardstick is that I want my team to give me exciting football, give me a chance to win every game, give me something to root for, and the Bills of the 90's certianly did that.

Now if you want to talk about our record lately ......... THAT I find crushing :D

Definitely a fondness... but also a bit of emptiness and longing, wishing that not only the city could have enjoyed a super bowl victory, but the players we knew and loved. We hurt that Kelly didn't have a ring, or that Thurman didn't hoist the Lombardi trophy, and Levy as well. The city was as much attached to each player on the roster in those years as much as the team itself. I don't know how Philly is, but if you the team doesn't win the bowl, are you going to care that a player like Jon Runyan didn't get a chance to celebrate amongst confetti?

The Eagles have spent the last five seasons trying to push the stone up the hill and get that first Lombardi trophy.  Three straight NFC championship game losses followed by this past Super Bowl defeat has left a sour taste in the mouths of many, but not nearly all Eagles fans.  Some are content to contend every year, to go to a playoff game or two, and are confident that there will always be next year.

Now, with the TO situation and the contractual discontent of others, particularly Brian Westbrook, many Eagles fans are afraid the window will close, and that we've seen all we're going to see.  If that happens, I don't know if I'll look upon the past four years with fondness or with bitterness.  I suspect the latter.

I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on this question.  How do you look back on the Bills' Super Bowl years? With fondness and at least some sense of satisfaction? Or perhaps with bitterness and emptiness?  I grew up in upstate NY and rooted for the Bills in every Super Bowl.  I can only imagine how crushing it must have been for you.

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

I look back on it with pride and did right after the 4th one. Most people on this board don't share my sentiments.

Seriously, I wouldn't be as happy making just 1 SB and winning it and never going back again. I'm a Braves fan too so I know what I'm talking about here.

IMO, it's better to have been the Bills rather than the Jets, Colts, or Chiefs. After all in this day and age, it's not whether you win just one SB. Sad, isn't it.

The only thing that will make me forget the early 90's is winning multiple world championships now. I won't erase the past completely tho.

It's too bad you guys are stuck with TO. That mofo wanted to leave San Fran in the worst possible way, got his trade, and still isn't happy. What a cancer!!!

As someone said earlier, these are different times. Free agency has made it easier to add pieces to a team, but harder to keep all the pieces together for an extended run. Personally, I always hated the Eagles, until they drafted McNabb. He was one of my very favorite college players. Even if Westbrook, Simon and TO bolt, I don't think it will have as large an effect on the Eagles. They have a really strong franchise right now, and will buzz right along. Being in a weakned conference (as the Bills were in the 90's) helps.

All that being said, I may be in the minority, but I would kill to have won just one of those Super Bowls in the 90's. I will be happy as any Bills fan when they finally win one, but I think it would resonate a lot more if we had won one earlier. Maybe it is beecause I am older now, or maybe it is because cynicism seems to permeate everything nowadays, but winning a Super Bowl now doesn't seem to mean as much. What the Patriots are doing is amazing, yet few fans, unless they are Patriots fans, really give their acheivment its' proper respect. I would bet most would think of the '85 Chicago Bears as far superior to the Pats, even though they only won one championship.

I have three teams that I follow closely. They are, in order, Buffalo Bills, Boston Celtics and Buffalo Sabres. The only one to win a championship is the Celtics (okay, the Bills won an AFC crown the year I was born, and then again the next year, but none that I was around for). The Celts haven't won a championship in nearly 20 years. Yet, I remember their last one as if it was yesterday. All the great games leading up to it. I can barely remember who lost the last 5 NBA finals....

I don't see it as crushing ...... don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have won four straight than have lost four straight, but the bottom line is that the Bills of the 90's gave us fans some damn good football. There were things to look forward to every week, plays and players to cheer. Heros and memories were made almost every week. Stories were played out that have been told from father to son, and are now being told to our grandsons .......... it was a glorious time, a fun time to be a Bills fan for four years running (with the exception of four particular unfortunate Sunday nights).

I understand some fans feel if their team doesn't win the super bowl that they are a failure, and that's OK, everybody has their own yardsticks. My personal yardstick is that I want my team to give me exciting football, give me a chance to win every game, give me something to root for, and the Bills of the 90's certianly did that.

Now if you want to talk about our record lately ......... THAT I find crushing :D

337918[/snapback]

Saved me some typing, pastaman. The Bills are the only one of the teams I root for that hasn't won a championship during my lifetime. Do those SB losses sting? Sure they do... but that team gave us some unbelievable memories along the way. I rank 51-3 and the Comeback game ahead of the Reds' World Series wins, and right up there with watching the Habs skate the Cup... and yeah, even the 1987 Fiesta Bowl, my freshman year at PSU.

Soylent (great movie BTW), you'll have your answer on the afternoon of June 4th. Tune into the NFL Network at 1PM that day, and watch the Bills fans treat the players from that '90s team like rock stars.

The most underrated achievement in NFL history belongs to the Buffalo Bills.

No other team went to four consecutive Super Bowls. And I don't believe one ever will again.

Soylent Green, you just need to enjoy the moment. Three straight NFC title losses...even worse than my formerly beloved Browns of the late 1980s. Your team finally got over the hump. And your team, even if the Cancer Known As T.O. fails to return, has to be the favorite in the NFC again.

I'm not an Eagles fan, but for some inexplicable reason, I have known several here in Ohio (I'm talking back to the Buddy Ryan years). I know that they are happy the Eagles finally made it back to the Super Bowl, but they would like a victory.

Enjoy your time on, or near, the top. You never know how long you're going to be there.

Mike

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

I look back with fondness and I really can appreciate it now. Those teams were loaded with talent and provided a ton of fun. That being said, I would trade it all for just one win!

It was weird, because it became old hat after a while. Most any Buffalo sports team would never stay at the elite level of its league for too long. Just a bunch of hits and plenty of misses over the years.

I won't forget the regular seasons from 1988-93......when it was simply assured that the Bills would roll over another opponent. Pretty much happened on a weekly basis. Gets into your psyche that the team is invincible (except for a Super Bowl).....but I think when they lost a home game in 92, people were in absolute shock!

:doh:

I loved those teams. The final three SBs didn't really hurt, but that first one did.

Still does, because somehow, some way, ESPN always manages to remind ous of Scott Norwood. EVERY YEAR.

But hey, we've come to expect it as Bills fans. If you think Iggle fans have struggled, try being a Bills fan for a few decades.

:doh:

Thanks for your input.

337910[/snapback]

It was very difficult but priceless.

By the 4th loss, many of the barnacle fans had been already detached, and people would ask how you could still be wearing Bills colors. The only satisfaction at the time was that the Fish were watching the game on TV.

Me? I waited to pick up my sweat shirts, jerseys, and general memorabilia, AFTER the SB when it was on mega-sale. Got a lot of good stuff dirt cheap. :doh:

Those were great years: bittersweet memories and astounding seasons. I will not be satisfied until they win it all, but I loved those days. :doh:

I'd much rather have won four straight than have lost four straight, but the bottom line is that the Bills of the 90's gave us fans some damn good football. There were things to look forward to every week, plays and players to cheer. Heros and memories were made almost every week. Stories were played out that have been told from father to son, and are now being told to our grandsons .......... it was a glorious time, a fun time to be a Bills fan for four years running (with the exception of four particular unfortunate Sunday nights).

This says is all....

Hmmmm.....good question....

The Bills of 1987-1996 were truly a special team, and have a special place in my heart. They were much more than just a football team to me.

The years produced amazing, exhilarating football, games that I vividly recall and fondly watch on vidotape. The whole city came ALIVE during the season. There was optimism and passion everwhere for the Bills, and it spilled over into everyday life.

Those Bills captured the imagination of the city and their resiliency to keep getting back up after being knocked down and try again reflected the mentality of the region and its people. To keep going in the face of adversity and multiple crushing defeats, led to a hope and belief in oneself. Whenever I need a bit of insipration or think I can't do something, I imagine being down 35-3 in the third quarter of a playoff game and keep on plugging, knowing I can still win 41-38.

As far as the losses, yeah, I would've loved to see them win just one, the last one. After everything they had been through, and the persistence they demonstrated, it would have been terrific to have a Hollywood ending.

Someday the Bills will win a Bowl, and I'll cheer and party like crazy. But it would be just tad bit sweeter, if the QB was named Kelly, the RB Thurman, the WRs Beebe and Reed, the C Hull, the defensive players Talley, Smith and Bennett, and especially, the coach Levy.

So, to conclude a long winded answer, I look back with love in my heart, absolute fondness for a time that can never be recaptured. Also, with just a touch of regret, because when we do win one, the players that gave us so much, won't be the ones hoisting the Lombardi.