Pat Williams on his new team and the Bills

RVJ

Remember the last time PW got a sack in crunch time against a quality opponent when we needed it?  Yeah, me neither.

337849[/snapback]

Yes! Thank you AD, I am fairly certain that we can get a big-fat-athletic guy to "tie to blockers up" on the line. We need someone that will open the lanes for our lb's and Pat was asking for too much $$ to do that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fear that donohoe is merely a mediocrity,... not good enough to manage better than 8-8 or 9-7". That could only sound credible to someone who already believed it before they decided it.

If believing he's a good GM after watching him for a decade is a subdefinition of exhibiting bias, then I am that. I try to keep as objective a perspective as a football fan can; having been able to avoid subjectivity when observing him as a non-Bill has helped me to be more analytical when assessing his tendencies, as well as flick boogers at him when warranted. For example, from day one I've expressed chagrin with the poor results he's had throughout his career w/ QB's and 1strndpicks (naturally as soon as I whined about it he spent some 1strounders on QB's who have done nothing for usthus far ;) ). Another example might be my stated dissatisfaction with his decision to let PhatPat walk.

The past can tell much about the future as any good historian could teach you ( :D ), and your tendency toward subjectivity in ignoring said past in the prediction of unscene future elicits some circumspection that you may actually be exhibiting more bias than me, doing so by only choosing to even consider what the work of Donahoe/Modrak has done for you "personally" as opposed to a thorough examination of all the available information.

338798[/snapback]

?? - you only used part of my quote and therefore misrepresent what i'm saying. i said i respected your opinion on the subject because of your exposure to him. i mean that. anyway, "bias" is not a term of opprobrium. When it comes to a subject of absolutely neglible importance but one which i love to follow (the nfl), i am proudly biased and subjective. i consider people who fancy themselves "objective" are either woefully misguided or drips. as for bias more generally, objectivity is a myth, and no historian worth his salt will tell you otherwise (although i'm not saying one shouldn't subscribe at least in part to the myth and strive for it). basically, i have no problem with bias and gross subjectivity when it comes to fandom, which is what is what all of this is in the end. people shouldn't make more of it than that. it ain't real life or art or anything close to it.

as for donohoe's past, yeah he did a great job with pittsburgh. it hasn't happened here as of yet. joe gibbs did a good job in washington for a long time. he didn't do so well last year. bobby beatherd did a great job in miami and washington in the 70s and 80s. he was a disaster with the chargers for the better portion of the 1990s. mike ditka didn't fare well in new orleans after a very successful career in chicago. carmen policy didn't do so well with the browns. jimmy johnson did only ok with the dolphins. sometimes, guys lose it. time passes them by. sometimes, they get their act together and do something great all over again. i hope donohe does. he's certainly not incapable of it. he's done some good things while he's been here. all in all, though, history doesn't repeat itself. to quote marx, the first time it plays out as tragedy, and the second time as farce.

I agree Mark. He also had a pretty tough time without Ted or Big Sam.

337845[/snapback]

Yep. There's a reason we went out and got Sam a couple years after Ted left. Pat wasn't getting it done with whoever it was next to him in the interim.

to quote marx, the first time it plays out as tragedy, and the second time as farce.

339190[/snapback]

He also said "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Oh. Wrong Marx.

"bias" is not a term of opprobrium.

Acchhh!

I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever been reading the Wall and had to look up a word. ;)

You'll pay for that one Webster..... :D