Wide receiver usage through two weeks

GunnerBill

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He played a nice game yesterday. That was a good route he ran vs Farley and he got some separation. I am still a tad sceptical about whether he could produce that consistently over a longer term at a high enough level to get us by.... but for now, no complaints over how he played yesterday. Give the man his due. 

He's taking snaps away from Isaiah Hodgins though!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He played a nice game yesterday. That was a good route he ran vs Farley and he got some separation. I am still a tad sceptical about whether he could produce that consistently over a longer term at a high enough level to get us by.... but for now, no complaints over how he played yesterday. Give the man his due. 

Adding to this, the one catch Kumerow missed yesterday, was thrown at his feet.

I was initially a little "down" on McKenzie for missing a catch but on replay, it was behind the LOS, it was a low throw, and McKenzie had a guy wrapping him up as the ball got there.  The Bills would have lost yardage if he caught it and if he'd caught it and fumbled, it would have quite likely gone for 6.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Adding to this, the one catch Kumerow missed yesterday, was thrown at his feet.

I was initially a little "down" on McKenzie for missing a catch but on replay, it was behind the LOS, it was a low throw, and McKenzie had a guy wrapping him up as the ball got there.  The Bills would have lost yardage if he caught it and if he'd caught it and fumbled, it would have quite likely gone for 6.

Yea was a good drop from Isaiah. Whether he did it on purpose I don't know. I always remember Fred dropping one on purpose on "the EJ drive" v Carolina because of the clock. Not sure if Isaiah has those smarts. 

Agree on the Kumerow one. He actually sold that route nicely Josh just flat missed him. Worst throw Josh had made in a long time. He was shaking his head at himself after like "WTF was that?"

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea was a good drop from Isaiah. Whether he did it on purpose I don't know. I always remember Fred dropping one on purpose on "the EJ drive" v Carolina because of the clock. Not sure if Isaiah has those smarts. 

Agree on the Kumerow one. He actually sold that route nicely Josh just flat missed him. Worst throw Josh had made in a long time. He was shaking his head at himself after like "WTF was that?"

I was back in Buffalo for the Freddy "drop".  It was brilliant.  I will admit Kumerow looks a lot more in tune with his WR duties than I saw from

him last year.  I'll eat a crow wing.

I like your snap management comment.  I suspect we are seeing that in more positions than WR too.  It's a smart move to address the long

season and a playoff run.  

Great OP and great thread!  The only thing I'll add is that I don't think it's as straightforward as Kumerow being the #3 outside WR.  I think it's more likely that he's the primary backup for Davis, since he's the closest match on the roster to Davis' skillset.  (Good blocker, tall, more about straight line speed than burst or wiggle, etc.)  It also might be relevant that Davis was a late scratch.  Kumerow could step in for Davis, and while it's a downgrade for the offense, Kumerow can at least fill the same gameplan roles Davis was meant to.  If they'd known from the start that Davis wouldn't play, there's a chance they go in a different direction with the gameplan accordingly.

But I'll go on record and say that if Diggs misses time, it won't result in Kumerow stepping in like he did last night. 

54 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I was back in Buffalo for the Freddy "drop".  It was brilliant.  I will admit Kumerow looks a lot more in tune with his WR duties than I saw from

him last year.  I'll eat a crow wing.

I like your snap management comment.  I suspect we are seeing that in more positions than WR too.  It's a smart move to address the long

season and a playoff run.  

I think the important conclusion about WR depth is we'll have to dress a punter if either of Davis or Diggs miss a game.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.