The most amazing thing ever in sports

Tiger Wood's streak of 142 tournaments making the cut is pretty amazing.....

Wilt's scoring AVERAGE of 50 ppg is really incredible...If my memory serves me right he was criticized for not playing good defense...The next season he was one of the leaders in blocked shots...

The "Miracle on Ice" ...1980 US Olympics win in hockey,

Those are my three

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatabout dave winfield in toronto killing the seagull with a ball and getting a ticket from a mounty!

how about Wilt scoring 100 points in an NBA game and averaging over 50 a game.  Or Oscar Robertson avergaing a triple double?  Gretzkys season comes to mind.  When Babe hit 60 Homeruns- more then many teams- that is quite impressive too

336860[/snapback]

That same year, Wilt averaged 48.5 minutes per game playing time, or more than 4 quarters per start.

That to me is even more amazing.  I read somewhere that Wilt was on the bench only 11 minutes the whole season (1961-62).

Mike

336892[/snapback]

More Wilt. He plays 1,045 career games without fouling out.

Maravich has a career average of 44.2 points a game. His best season ever was 44.5 points, only three-tenths of one friggin' percentage point away from each other. In three seasons of varsity ball, he scored 43.8, 44.2 and 44.5 PPG. Not only that, but freshmen werent allowed to play then so they had freshman teams. On his freshman team, he did the exact same thing, two-tenths of a point less, scoring 43.6 PPG.

Not only that but this was before the 3 point line, and he regularly shot NBA length three pointers. His average would likely have been 5-7 points higher per game.

336856[/snapback]

I'm betting 10 points higher a game. He could drive to the basket with ease but would stop and launch 25 + footers quite often every game. If he could actually see the 3 point line in front of him, he would have attempted more from the outside. May have been the greatest natural shooter I ever saw.

I remember being pretty amazed here

Down six with 8.9 seconds to go, Reggie Miller caught a pass and put down a quick three-pointer. He then stole the inbounds pass, and hit another. On the ensuing play, he was fouled, and hit both free throws to seal the win. Miller had scored 8 points in less than nine seconds.

It's hard to top Randy Johnson killing a bird...man that was insane!

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/birdball.mpg

I remember a few years ago, Green Bay was playing and a cornerback (safety?)defending Antonio Freeman looked like he was in the perfect place to just knock a pass down. Instead the ball got tipped around, the corner fell on his ass, the ball twirled around a bit more and Antonio reached down and took the ball off the defenders shoulder pad and ran in for a TD. I'm probably not doing it justice in my description, but that play was amazing.

That's why sports is the ultimate in entertainment, you never know if something truly spectacular is going to happen.

336868[/snapback]

I think the most amazing thing I've ever seen is still Secretariat's 31-length win at Belmont, which was just phenomenal to watch. But Johnson killing the pigeon is a close second, and definitely first on the "What the sh--?" list.

I remember being pretty amazed here

Down six with 8.9 seconds to go, Reggie Miller caught a pass and put down a quick three-pointer. He then stole the inbounds pass, and hit another. On the ensuing play, he was fouled, and hit both free throws to seal the win. Miller had scored 8 points in less than nine seconds.

337014[/snapback]

Did you have to post it? LOL... that still stings.

I love most of the things brought up. So, I'll try these:

DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak

Ripken eclipsing Gehrig for most consecutive games played

Sampras surpassing Laver for most grand slams

UCLA winning all those titles under Wooden (didn't they have a huge win streak snapped by Notre Dame on national TV?)

How about this one as well? Knicks trail the Milwaukee Bucks 86-68 in the fourth quarter. They run off the final 19 points to win the game 87-86! And remember. There were no three-pointers back then. Still one of the vintage calls by Marv Albert as well.

I shouldn't mention this because it happened to my team. But what the hell? Giants blow a 35-10 lead to the 49ers and lose by a field goal. Refs turn their heads when the receiver down field was interfered with.

And yes. I had a bad feeling the 49ers would comeback because they scored really quick to turn the tide.

To me, the most astounding single event was the Bob Beamon long jump because he broke the existing world record by such a long distance.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think it was in the neighborhood of 2 feet.

My sentimental favorite, however, is the no punt football game between the Bills and the 49ers back when they were both great offensive teams.

336894[/snapback]

Beamon's jump is the first thing that came to mind. For one off events, that was the most perfect performance.

I always say the best 3 three games ever in sports (that I saw) were Miracle on Ice, The Comeback Game, and when Baker beat St. Francis (undefeated and #1 in the state)in double overtime with Bill Truitt scoring 46 points in front of Lefty Driesell, Bobby Cremins, Jim Satalin, Digger Phelps and about 10 other college coaches. Nobody on here will know what I'm talking about, but you had to be there. The coaches were all there to see Chris Patton, and Truitt gets a scholarship to South Carolina out of it. One of the overtimes was caused by a half-court shot. It was just unreal, and anybody who was there will never forget it.

Laetner's perfect game against Kentucky deserves mention as far as individual game performances go.

Bobby Chandler's end zone toe against the line catch is still one of my favorite plays to watch ever. It looks like his body stops in mid air, just so he can land in.

The fog and the bat in the Sabres/Flyers Stanley Cup Final still strike me as some of the most weird things I recall.

The single most impressive performance I've witnessed is Michael Johnson's 200 Gold performance. During the run, I could tell I was witnessing athletic perfection.