Add another team to the Travis list

Jaguars | How Bad is Fred? - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 14 May 2005 06:42:05 -0700

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports Jacksonville Jaguars offensive coordinator Carl Smith has left open the possibility RB Fred Taylor (knee) could miss the season due to his recent knee surgery. At a minimum, as noted previously, Taylor will not be able to do any work in June.

I think Fred's time is up.

I think Fred's time is up.

336477[/snapback]

Wow. How much longer can the Jags put up with all the uncertainty surronding this guy's health. At some point they just have to cut their ties and get someone they can rely on week after week.

TH would be a nice fit. You're right, I think this bears watching once training camp opens up.

Wow.  How much longer can the Jags put up with all the uncertainty surronding this guy's health.  At some point they just have to cut their ties and get someone they can rely on week after week.

TH would be a nice fit.  You're right, I think this bears watching once training camp opens up.

336484[/snapback]

Kind of ironic that they drafted him with the pick they got for RJ. That whole pick was injury prone, no matter how one used it.

This was also on KFFL today:

Titans | Watching Henry - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 14 May 2005 02:46:23 -0700

Jim Wyatt, reports for the Tennessean, the Tennessee Titans will continue to monitor the situation concerning Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry. The two teams discussed a trade for Henry during the NFL Draft, and general manager Floyd Reese and Bills general manager Tom Donohoe have had some dialogue since. Reese said the Bills initially wanted a second- or third- round pick. Reese said the Titans offered the Bills a fifth-round pick and the Bills balked. Reese added the Titans would like to have Henry, but only for a decent price.

This also brings up an interesting point that hasn't been made a lot. When the Bills were shopping Henry it was for the 2005 draft, and it's a lot harder to make a trade in a looming draft because it's not as easy to make a "based on production" pick. If the pick is going to be, now, for the 2006 draft, it's a helluva lot easier to trade Travis for a #4 which becomes a #3 or a #2 if he gets 1000 yards or 1300 yards or whatever. I am not saying I think they'll trade him for a #4, but it's a lot easier and it makes more sense for another team.

I would thinkthe Bills will hold out for a guarenteed 3rd and conditional 2nd based upon starts, carries and yards.

336513[/snapback]

The problem with the conditional pick, of course, is how a team plans to use him. This wouldn't work for one of the best suitors, The Eagles, for example. They would be looking for Travis to share the load with Westbrook, and while he could be enormously valuable to them in that capacity, he simply wouldn't get enough plays and carries to acheive yardage goals. He could have a great season and get 800 yards. He could get 800 yards on a different team and he would suck.

It's too bad for him.  When healthy, he's a great RB.  The problem was, that wasn't often enough.  And man how I wish the Bills had that pick back, but used it on another player like Tre Thomas.

336495[/snapback]

My rant has always been that not only was Tra Thomas available with the 1st they spent on RJ, but that Tim Dwight (WR and PR were needs at the time) was available with the 4th they spent on RJ.

It cannot really be said the Bills would defintely have those two players who in retrospect were better choices (if reality were different by definition it would have been different and maybe someone would have traded up above the Bills to get Thomas if the Bills had the pick and the obvious need and maybe Dwight get taken in the 3rd rather than the 4th if they had the pick).

However, even though a 1st and a 4th were actually the going rate at the time and not an overpayment for a QB, my real rant is that:

1. Butler totally panicked and fell into the typical over importance given to the QB position after he:

A. Miscalculated (as RWS did with his handshake deal with Jimbo) by a year how much Kelly had left and thus waited a year too long to draft a QB to replace him.

B. Overspent and assessed by spending a second rounder on the happy-footed Todd Collins

C. Tried to develop Collins to quickly because Kelly was a goner.

D. Overspent to get Billy Joe Hobert who then barfed as a player and was cut.

Its no wonder he panicked and spent for RJ when the smarter thing to do was to get as many cutrate potential QBsas he could get and train/scheme one of them to be the Kelly replacement instead of looking for the next Jim Kelly. I suggested Steve DeBerg as a possibility after the 97 debacl season and lo and behold he actually did play an important role in getting AT to the SB the next year. Even better but not recognized by me or anybody except for AJ Smith Doug Flutie was available and led the Bills to the playoffs after a horrible season in 97.

2. The worse thing that Butler did was resign RJ to a guranteed contract when he turned out to be injury prone. Even worse he under the false pretense that Flutie would have a chance to compete on the field for the starting QB job he stupidly agreed to the guaranteed RJ deal AFTER he has agreed to rollover achieved Flutie bonuses into his base contract.

The table was set for the QB controversy which savaged the Bills in the late 90s and early 2000s and in retrospect and even mostly beforehand even for an idiot like me this was totally avoidable.

So a "5th rounder" is a "reasonable price" for Henry?  F' off Reese.  I'd feel bad if the Bills trade Travis to the Titans, because they're going to be god-awful this year.

336514[/snapback]

Actually, TD may be gaining more leverage / bargaining power over other GMs each day we get closer to training camp. Other teams are going to start getting desperate to fill holes and can rationalize giving up a 2006 pick for immediate help this year (Just win, Baby!).

I think we'll see some team blink and give TD a 2006 3rd rounder with a conditional move to a 2nd if TH has a good year.

I was under the impression that Fred taylor was still playing at a very high level....during the last 2 years.....

Last year he rushed at a 4.7/ypc clip....not too shabby.

He did miss 2 games, but as for durability when he was able to get on the field, he did hold up well. His ypc average during carries 11-20 shot up to 5.4 ypc....

btw.....HELLO EVERYONE!!!!! :lol:

Almost forgot....

2003.....Fred played in all 16 games and ran for over 1500 yards at a 4.6 ypc.

To say he's been going downhill the last 2 years is a bit of a reach.... :lol:

If Fred Taylor misses the season, Jax would be a great place for Travis to go and play out the final year of his contract. One year, show the NFL you can be a starter, and then cash in during FA either with the Jags or another team. Of course, all of this depends on how badly injured Fred Taylor is and how much the Jags are willing to give up. I'd ship Henry out for a 3rd rounder, easily at this point.

Kind of ironic that they drafted him with the pick they got for RJ.  That whole pick was injury prone, no matter how one used it.

336490[/snapback]

Not for nothing, but the only mock Kiper did with us in the 9 slot had us drafting Takeo Spikes, and I remember thinking, why would we need a linebacker?

Almost forgot....

2003.....Fred played in all 16 games and ran for over 1500 yards at a 4.6 ypc.

To say he's been going downhill the last 2 years is a bit of a reach.... :lol:

336552[/snapback]

Its the exact opposite as what the posters above said, he's actually shown the past 2 seasons (for the first time in his career) that he could stay healthy. Previously he'd miss several games a season.

2002 jax | 16 | 287 1314 4.6 8 | 49 408 8.3 0

2003 jax | 16 | 345 1572 4.6 6 | 48 370 7.7 1

2004 jax | 14 | 260 1224 4.7 2 | 36 345 9.6 1

so in the last 3 years "Fragile" fred out of 48 games in the last 3 years has only missed 2 all while rushing for 4110 yards with a 4.6ypc average and 16 td's.

While Taylor isn't a td machine, he's a great back when healthy and tough as nails

If Taylor is out for the year I could see them offering something for Henry they're a team with a chance to make the playoffs, and I doubt they want to take a huge step back which is what they'd do if taylor is out for the year.

let's not forget that JAX has greg jones (2nd round pick in '04) in the stable as well.........i'm sure they envision him as taylor's eventual replacement, and they may decide to find out sooner rather then later if he is the man for the job or not.......

they also picked up alvin pearman in the 4th round of this year's draft.......

let's not forget that JAX has greg jones (2nd round pick in '04) in the stable as well.........i'm sure they envision him as taylor's eventual replacement, and they may decide to find out sooner rather then later if he is the man for the job or not.......

Jones did nothing last year to validate him as a future HB for the Jags. As a FB, that's a different story, and I believe they're moving him there.

they also picked up alvin pearman in the 4th round of this year's draft.......

He's done even less than Jones.

The longer the Bills wait, the more teams that will need a RB.