The XFL reveals it's 8 cities for 2023

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

I give it two years tops before it folds.

Keep in mind ESPN is bankrolling them. Then again playing in their host cities will add to their cost. 

They will start the week after Super Bowl.  The USFL starts in April so just a slight overlap. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Keep in mind ESPN is bankrolling them. Then again playing in their host cities will add to their cost. 

I hope it does make it. Same for the USFL. More football means the NFL's offseason won't seem so long. Going off of history I doubt either league makes it. Hope I am wrong.

I don't think there's enough interest or talent for two "minor league" football leagues.  These moneyed interests would do a lot better combining resources to create one league that they could sustain through the initial lean years, of which there will be many.  It's like they don't pay attention to history.  The AFL was the only league that even remotely came close to competing with the NFL, and it was on the verge of collapse every single year of its existence.    

Or just go buy the CFL and its infrastructure and make it a minor league with NFL rules.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/25/2022 at 3:05 PM, dpberr said:

I don't think there's enough interest or talent for two "minor league" football leagues.  These moneyed interests would do a lot better combining resources to create one league that they could sustain through the initial lean years, of which there will be many.  It's like they don't pay attention to history.  The AFL was the only league that even remotely came close to competing with the NFL, and it was on the verge of collapse every single year of its existence.    

Or just go buy the CFL and its infrastructure and make it a minor league with NFL rules.  

CFL has a long history and does not deserve to become a minor NFL league.

There must be some rich owners in Canada who want to help prop them up.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because they are playing in a local soccer stadium.

I am aware of it.  I was at a game there once since I was given free tickets by company.

The point is DC will not let WTF move into DC due to multiple reports on front office.

Even Virginia has tabled free money for a new stadium to at least 2023 due to controversy which is saying a lot considering change in government in recent elections.

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/passing-of-washington-commanders-stadium-bill-in-virginia-unlikely-loudoun-county-prince-william-county/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/09/virginia-tables-commanders-stadium-bill/

There will be no free money in Virginia for the construction of a Washington Commanders stadium. At least not this year.

Via the Associated Press, the Virginia General Assembly has tabled legislation aimed at partially financing a new venue in the state.

A very good article on the chances of the XFL and USFL co-existing or merging eventually. Lots of good quotes from people who know what it takes to survive. Sorry, it's the Athletic so it's behind a paywall.

https://theathletic.com/3458610/2022/07/29/usfl-xfl-merger-football/

FYI: The story says 22 USFL players are signed to NFL rosters. 3 more signed today.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

10 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I had season tickets to the NY Guardians with a few friends. It was cheap and fun. I live near MetLife so I could Uber to and from the game. I was really disappointed to hear that they were not returning to NY/NJ.  

Apparently the XFL is going to train at one location: Arlington TX. But will fly both teams out to whatever city they are scheduled to play in.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.