Favorite Upstate Hot Dog Joint

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the past few years for animal cruelty reasons and an aversion to factory farming issues my wife has been a vegetarian for the most part (a good hot dog can cen certainly get her to fall off the wagon.

The hardest part for her of pursuing a vegetarian lifestyle is that it has meant giving up hot dogs which she loves.

When I moved to Buffalo she regaled me with stories of Teds and a place in Niagara Falls called Page's which I'm not sure is still there that offered up something called The Whistle Pig which I think is a hot dog somehow bathed in cheese (Is Page's still in existence?)

At any rate a great boon for my wife's vegetarian ways was to discover that a hot dog shack on the Niagara River in Tonawanda offers up a vegetarian hot dog it calls the Bunny Dog.

As best I can tell the Bunny Dog is a grilled carrot. There are three keys to it:

1. It is grilled which gives it that charcoal taste and feel.

2. It has the same spices which give the taste to hot dogs (this actually isn't difficult to do since hot dogs are merely mystery meat which is spiced so quite frankly one could make an old shoe taste just like a hot dog.

3. However, the real key seems to be that they marinate the carrot in just the right amount of and combinations for just the right amount of time so that the grilled output not only has the taste of a good dog but also the consistency of a good tube steak (as we used to call them growing up in Wrigley Field in Chicago).

In addition to her vegetarian ways my wife still considers herself a conniseur of the hot dog. She lives vicariously by questioning folks closely on what is their favorite dog and insists that having the right texture abd mouth feel is the true test of a quality dog.

Generally she accepts no imitation (she has tried an rejected a zillion veggie hotdogs. Yet, she holds a special place in her heart for the SmartLife veggie dog which is the only model she grills at home and the Bunny Dog at Old Man River as the best hotdog shack veggie dog.

My wife went to Old Man River this past weekend and reported with reget that they had trashed the hulk of a ship you could sit in near the parking lot, However, on the upside the Bunny Dog is selling well enough that they put out a sign on the steet advertising it to passers by.

Its certainly good news since if one partner is a vegetarian, but like me if you are still on the meat wagon (I am getting better after years of being in the clean plate club and eating everything put in front of me whether I want it or its good for me or not), Old Man River lets you have a pretty good grilled Italian Sausage (my personal favorite tube steak) and also offers the customers who want it a Bunny Dog.

Viva la difference!

Back when I lived in Hamburg, we used to go to the Circle Stop (Circle Spot?) on route 5 near the Skyway Drive in.

There was another place called Curt's Stop In near a pedestrian bridge across from Bethlehem Steel - the offices not the blast furnaces. :blush:

Are either of those places still around?

In Glens Falls (just south of Lake George) there is a place called New Way Lunch that has phenominal hot dogs. Get 6 minis w/chili sauce, a beverage, and a slice of their famous pecan pie for $3.50 during lunch. Cant beat that. Even if I was vegetarian I would still order it.

Back when I lived in Hamburg, we used to go to the Circle Stop (Circle Spot?) on route 5 near the Skyway Drive in.

There was another place called Curt's Stop In near a pedestrian bridge across from Bethlehem Steel - the offices not the blast furnaces.  :P

Are either of those places still around?

333318[/snapback]

Curt's is still there. I don't remember any Circle Stop. Do you maybe mean Red Top, which is a little shack on Rt 5? Red Top has been there forever and has good dogs.

For me, a foot long at Ted's is about as good as it gets.

In Glens Falls (just south of Lake George) there is a place called New Way Lunch that has phenominal hot dogs.  Get 6 minis w/chili sauce,  a beverage, and a slice of their famous pecan pie for $3.50 during lunch.  Cant beat that.  Even if I was vegetarian I would still order it.

333332[/snapback]

Oh yeah those dogs are damn good. So are the dogs at the "Dog Shack" in Hudson Falls.

When I moved to Buffalo she regaled me with stories of Teds and a place in Niagara Falls called Page's which I'm not sure is still there that offered up something called The Whistle Pig which I think is a hot dog somehow bathed in cheese (Is Page's still in existence?)

333299[/snapback]

Page's is still there on the corner of Military and Packard Rd. The whistle pigs are good but you can feel your arteries hardening as you eat one even more so than with a normal dog. The "whistle pigs" are wrapped in bacon, and smothered in a cheese-whiz-like substance, served in a steamed bun, and come in red or white (presumably beef or pork?)

Curt's is still there.  I don't remember any Circle Stop.  Do you maybe mean Red Top, which is a little shack on Rt 5?  Red Top has been there forever and has good dogs.

333393[/snapback]

Red Top it is! I moved from there while still in high school, so all I remember is the little red shack and great food. At Curt's he used to keep glass mugs in the freezer and made curly fries as you watched - whole raw potato to fryer. :P

My first job was washing dishes at Foit's (which is now named something else) for $1.65 an hour! :P

I used to think that the hotdogs in WNY were the best.

Being near Chicago, nothing beats a Chicago style dog... It has got to be all beef. I prefer Best's Kosher. Everything else leaves an aftertaste?

Nothing beats a "dirty water dog" done Chicago style.

The one thing I would change is that they should use Weber's mustard... Would make a "Maxwell Street" type sausage taste better.