Philly column discussing TH

...normally, I don't cut & paste articles but since this service is subscription-based, wanted to pass it along.

Posted on Tue, May. 10, 2005

Rich Hofmann | Worried about T.O.? Get Travis Henry

SO, FREDDIE MITCHELL

is gone. As we all rush to

insert the appropriate wisecrack into the conversation, just understand three things: that while it might have been overstated, Mitchell's chilly relationship with quarterback Donovan

McNabb was an issue in how

often he saw the football; that while he was never as good as he thought he was, Mitchell was a better player than most people here recognized; and that the

Eagles are headed for some very serious decisions regarding their passing offense.

Oh, and how was your Mother's Day, Terrell?

That there is no obvious 2005 solution to Mitchell's absence is the least of their issues right now. I know, I know, they drafted Reggie Brown in the second round out of Georgia, and the hopes are all appropriately high, and blah, blah, blah - but he's a rookie, and it's hard for a rookie to make a significant impact in this offense, and the slot receiver is on the field about 50 percent of the time, and that's how that goes.

Here is the truth: Had Mitchell not decided to talk his way out of town during the last few months, he would still be here based on his ability.

Again, though, that is the least of their worries, as everyone waits for the next Terrell Owens cleat to drop. T.O. wants a new contract and he didn't show up at minicamp - that much we know. He jabbed the quarterback for allegedly getting tired at the Super Bowl, and the quarterback jabbed back, and both of them pretty much avoided using the other's name - a very neat trick, but a very unpleasant

circumstance.

So that is where we sit. The

Eagles ought to redo his contract or trade him now, but that's been said here already.

Given that neither of those things appear to be happening, though - which means it'll be High Noon at Lehigh in late July - there is another move they could make that could give them a measure of offensive comfort on several levels, and provide the necessary T.O. insurance, if you really think about it.

This is the move:

Get Travis Henry.

The Eagles have been very open about their desire to figure out a way to work a deal to

acquire the disgruntled Bills

running back. Even after the draft, Eagles coach Andy Reid said the Henry possibility wasn't completely dead.

Most people believe the

Eagles' openness was largely a way to put pressure on running back Brian Westbrook to do a long-term deal with them.

Besides that, a running back of Henry's accomplishment - he has been over 1,300 yards twice in his 4-year NFL career - would put Correll Buckhalter and his two repaired knees in a more complementary role, and not in a spot where he will be tested too strenuously, too soon.

So there is all of that - enough to make the deal without any other considerations. But Henry also would give the

Eagles some T.O. insurance

because he would give them

the ability to show everybody

another version of the old-time religion.

You remember, the three-headed monster.

This has been said last year, and this year, and it will be said again: Owens gave the Eagles a home-run threat, and he changed the appearance of the Eagles' offense, but he did not make it more productive. This quarterback was very good

and this offense was very good without T.O.

If not for the disaster that was the NFC Championship Game against Carolina following the 2003 season, the excellence of that offense would have been

recognized. That was the three-headed monster offense, with Duce Staley, Westbrook and Buckhalter in the backfield. Those Eagles walked the ball up the field more than the T.O. Eagles did last year, and they ran

in the red zone more than last season, but they scored slightly more points per game down the stretch of that 2003 season than the Eagles did in 2004.

They could do that again next year, with Henry taking the place of Staley. It isn't a perfect exchange of skills - Henry is the more durable runner, Staley the more explosive receiver - but it could work. It would be

different but it would be viable. The coaching on this team is good enough that they could make it go.

Again, it isn't the best option - a healthy and happy T.O. is the best option, without question - but it really does offer the

Eagles some flexibility if they

are going to insist on letting this Owens thing play out through the summer (and, maybe,

beyond).

If you get Henry in here now and get him acclimated, what

is the downside? None. If the T.O. thing plays out until August sometime, you (and you quarterback) can sleep at night knowing you have strategic options. If the T.O. thing plays out until mid-

November - when Owens would have to report in order

to get credit for a year of NFL service - you can win games in the meantime by dusting off the old playbooks.

Because if their strategy really is to sit tight and wait for T.O. to crawl home, the Eagles are going to need some protection. Travis Henry is it.

I know I know , TH talk and huge disaggreements yada yada

but I still don't want to trade him for a LOW third rounder. (which is what an eagle pick next year will be)

I prefer keeping him as a backup

I realize I may be in minority but that is my opinion. If Philly is willing to make it conditional (+1000 yd = 2nd and +1500 = 1st)

O.k. then

I know I know , TH talk and huge disaggreements yada yada

but I still don't want to trade him for a LOW third rounder. (which is what an eagle pick next year will be)

I prefer keeping him as a backup

I realize I may be in minority but that is my opinion. If Philly is willing to make it conditional (+1000 yd = 2nd and +1500 = 1st)

O.k. then

332781[/snapback]

The most telling part of that article for me was the mid-November reporting date to get credit for service, thus fulfilling Henry's contract obligation to the Bills. Don't expect to see him here before that if he doesn't get traded or outright released. And if it comes to that, just how valuable a backup is he going to be for the last month and a half of the season after not playing football, no training camp, etc?

The most telling part of that article for me was the mid-November reporting date to get credit for service, thus fulfilling Henry's contract obligation to the Bills.  Don't expect to see him here before that if he doesn't get traded or outright released.  And if it comes to that, just how valuable a backup is he going to be for the last month and a half of the season after not playing football, no training camp, etc?

332792[/snapback]

I believe he does get fined if he does not show up, however.

Henry's value as a 2005 backup, including his very friendly cap number for a guy who is a known quality running back in the league, is higher than a 3rd round pick and probably even a 2nd round pick IF the team sees this roster as capable of making a run at the playoffs. This deep into TD's time at OBD I have to assume he's under pressure to field exactly that.

The most telling part of that article for me was the mid-November reporting date to get credit for service, thus fulfilling Henry's contract obligation to the Bills.  Don't expect to see him here before that if he doesn't get traded or outright released.  And if it comes to that, just how valuable a backup is he going to be for the last month and a half of the season after not playing football, no training camp, etc?

332792[/snapback]

Unless Travis has improved his money management skills, he'll be in camp in July. If he hasn't been able to improve his blocking skills, why should his financial savvy be any different?

If there's a trade on the table, we have to take it. Anyone who thinks TH will wise up and play is kidding themselves.

I for one would like to see TH to the Eagles (and maybe a late round pick) for Corey Simon. They want him out and have already replaced him. We could use the help in the middle.

I for one would like to see TH to the Eagles (and maybe a late round pick) for Corey Simon. They want him out and have already replaced him. We could use the help in the middle.

332867[/snapback]

If the Eagles gave up Simon for Henry it'd be the biggest day for the Bills since the Pitt game last year.

But assuming the Eagles aren't prepared to make that catastrophic error, I'll assume Henry's agent would be able to explain to his client the value of getting the marquee time in the event of any McGahee injury and the impact that would have towards any 2006 Henry offers in FA.

Based on that article, a bit of a reach from ESPN dontcha think?

May. 10 - The Philadelphia News suggests the Eagles still could make a run at acquiring Henry from the Bills, if only as insurance against the potential holdout of WR Terrell Owens. Adding Henry, the report suggests, could recreate the three-back committee Philadelphia employed in reaching the the NFC title game two seasons ago.

Henry, who skipped the Bills' recent minicamp and has vowed not to return or play for the Bills, has been seeking a trade since the end of the season. He has one year remaining on his contract. It is believed the Bills would part with Henry for a conditional third-round pick.

More of the same Sheldon stuff:

May. 10 - Still on the roster after numerous attempts to trade him to Buffalo before (and during) April's draft, Shelton might not be a Cardinal for long. Reports out of Arizona indicate the team will release the offensive tackle after June 1 if it is unable to trade him before then. Arizona had extensive talks with the Bills regarding a trade of Shelton for RB Travis Henry, but that deal never materialized, and Green ended up drafting RB J.J. Arrington in the second round.

Shelton was excused from the team's recent minicamp, reportedly because head coach Dennis Green didn't want him to get hurt and make a trade more difficult. Shelton fell out of favor with Green last season.

"provide the necessary T.O. insurance"....???

if they watn that, than they should sign a WR, not a RB.

if they want to improve their running game, then trade for henry.

they used a 3 headed monster befor cus not 1 back was that much better than the other. why would you pay 3 RBs when you could pay just 1.

"provide the necessary T.O. insurance"....???

if they watn that, than they should sign a WR, not a RB.

if they want to improve their running game, then trade for henry.

they used a 3 headed monster befor cus not 1 back was that much better than the other. why would you pay 3 RBs when you could pay just 1.

332910[/snapback]

The Shift key that will enable you use capitilization where appropriate is located on the far left and just below the Enter key that resides under the "\" key. Give it a whirl.

Oh, and feel free to blame Bush for your inability... :blush:

The Shift key that will enable you use capitilization where appropriate is located on the far left and just below the Enter key that resides under the "\" key. Give it a whirl.

Oh, and feel free to blame Bush for your inability... :blush:

332921[/snapback]

o no, i dont blame bush, i blame the pansy democratic party for selecting a pansy anti war presidential canadate and allowing bush to be our president for 4 more years.

so i blame the democratic party for my inability to hit the shift key...

DAMN THEM!!!!!!

If the Eagles gave up Simon for Henry it'd be the biggest day for the Bills since the Pitt game last year.

But assuming the Eagles aren't prepared to make that catastrophic error, I'll assume Henry's agent would be able to explain to his client the value of getting the marquee time in the event of any McGahee injury and the impact that would have towards any 2006 Henry offers in FA.

332884[/snapback]

The Iggles wouldn't be that foolish. They'd get him for a pick only.

Hmm...I should think the Eagles have access to game films.

Heh. If anything happens, the honeymoon would end when TH whiffed a block and McNabb got blindsided.  :blush:

332895[/snapback]

Agreed. I consider it a given that Andy Reid knows a ton more about Travis than a reporter who probably knows little more than what he sees in the stat column.

It would be GREAT to get a first day pick for Travis, but it failed to happen in a weak draft, and there is nothing to indicate that it will happen in a better one.

Either way we win, because even if he is cut (a likely scenario), the Bills do gain approx. 1 million in cap space and can use it on a good football player.

More of the same Sheldon stuff:

May. 10 - Still on the roster after numerous attempts to trade him to Buffalo before (and during) April's draft, Shelton might not be a Cardinal for long. Reports out of Arizona indicate the team will release the offensive tackle after June 1 if it is unable to trade him before then. Arizona had extensive talks with the Bills regarding a trade of Shelton for RB Travis Henry, but that deal never materialized, and Green ended up drafting RB J.J. Arrington in the second round.

Shelton was excused from the team's recent minicamp, reportedly because head coach Dennis Green didn't want him to get hurt and make a trade more difficult. Shelton fell out of favor with Green last season

332905[/snapback]

I would love to pick up Shelton after he gets cut on June 1st. Even if we don't want him, just sign him so we can all go over to the Cardinals board and laugh in their faces.

RTB