calling former players and personal trainers here ---- what is this training stuff?

Hapless Bills Fan

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Still need to be strong ,those who are against it just dont like hard work, they want some exotic BS that they they think will give them the edge.

To be truly great you need to be strong, fast, explosive and have good endurance and mobility. They key is doing all these things not sacrificing one for another claiming one eliminates the need for the other. And the best way to get strong is heavy compunds lifts and heavy drags, pushes and carries.

I missed the part where I said that one eliminates the other

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Bane training 😂😂

Its an air restriction device that  makes breathing harder, haven't seen these in awhile, they were popular for couple years  then fell out of favor because they didn't really help stamina.

BB, there are still two knuckleheads in my gym who use these masks.  The research supports they don’t work.  If anything, you can get more fatigued, thus increasing the risk of injury.

Now I’ve seen some guys, myself one of them a decade ago using a weighted vest to make it harder to complete cardio.  I eventually gave it to my oldest son.

Those do work well.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Bane training 😂😂

Its an air restriction device that  makes breathing harder, haven't seen these in awhile, they were popular for couple years  then fell out of favor because they didn't really help stamina.

https://www.healthline.com/health/training-mask-benefits#safety

OK, so they're supposed to help increase your peak VO2, but there's debate about if they actually do this.  Living at high elevation forces all sorts of adaptations that wearing a mask for 2-3 hrs a day won't.  But it may make your breathing muscles more efficient.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

BB, there are still two knuckleheads in my gym who use these masks.  The research supports they don’t work.  If anything, you can get more fatigued, thus increasing the risk of injury.

Now I’ve seen some guys, myself one of them a decade ago using a weighted vest to make it harder to complete cardio.  I eventually gave it to my oldest son.

Those do work well.

I seem to remember the RB coach we had at the time (was it Lynn?), made Shady McCoy work out with a 2 lb and 5 lb weighted vest in an effort to persuade him to lose a little weight.  The vest made everything so much harder that it worked and he did lose some weight.

Hap, I didn’t know that one.  My vest carries 10-40 lbs..  It was 10 years ago, but doing a Spin class with evil Hecuba of a coach (although she was hot but I was married) with a 20 lb. Best was a new kind of hell.  

Happy to just be healthy now, lift each day and do cardio 7 days a week.  

Im sure Gabe is trying to do whatever he can to be the best, which I love.  His trainer just forgot to tell him it doesn’t work.  I applaud him for the work.  Those masks are a witch.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I missed the part where I said that one eliminates the other

from your post i quoted.

"The NFL Europe player my son trained with in the Summer got him out of the weight room and out in the mountains."

so if your dropping the weight room for the mountains , that's giving up one for the other.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

from your post i quoted.

"The NFL Europe player my son trained with in the Summer got him out of the weight room and out in the mountains."

so if your dropping the weight room for the mountains , that's giving up one for the other.

Reading up further you will see that early days consisted of just doing core lifts and trying to make the leader board.

Balance

P.S. there is plenty of strength training that can be done with weighted objects in the mountains meaning outside fresh air training.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.