calling former players and personal trainers here ---- what is this training stuff?

Hapless Bills Fan

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-buffalo-bills-train-in-florida#6cdefeb0-9316-4742-87de-20a2fb637010

photo 45 and 66

Gabe Davis is wearing some kind of torturous "Silence of the Lambs" looking contraption.  What is it/what is it for?

photo 16 and 50

Isaiah Mckenzie is holding two poles and doing some kind of leg extention thing with one foot on a slider - what's the purpose of this?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/photos-buffalo-bills-train-in-florida#6cdefeb0-9316-4742-87de-20a2fb637010

photo 45 and 66

Gabe Davis is wearing some kind of torturous "Silence of the Lambs" looking contraption.  What is it/what is it for?

photo 16 and 50

Isaiah Mckenzie is holding two poles and doing some kind of leg extention thing with one foot on a slider - what's the purpose of this?

Davis is wearing a high-altitude training simulator.  And looks like McK is trying to do a split.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

photo 45 and 66

photo 16 and 50

45 is a a oxigen mask - it restricts the amount of oxigen your body gets....think high altitude training

66 is a rope ladder - it is used to practice footwork

(edit sorry I didnt see the previous replies)

Edited by John from Riverside

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

45 is a a oxigen mask - it restricts the amount of oxigen your body gets....think high altitude training

Yeah, I know the rope ladder thing - kid used to do them, I called out the pic for another view of that Silence of the Lambs mask thingie

Stickmobility.com

photo 50 of iMac w/ the poles

this is a generic tidbit, not sure what the specific drill is about, except to assume it’s a hip mobility/quad/glute/hammy stretch type. It would appear from the plant position of the poles being slightly behind his torso, that you would start more nearly upright and then slide your front foot further out on the blue foot pad thingy.  No question that this photo shows extreme range of motion, and would be impossible to maintain w/o assistance of some sort, hence the sticks…

How often should I use the Training Sticks?

Stick Mobility can be practiced every day. The benefits of Stick Mobility transfer to performance training and everyday activities. 

You can use Stick Mobility as a standalone training program or segmentally. It is a system that complements other training systems and sports.

Active stretching and flows can be integrated into your daily routine for warm-ups and recovery. Submaximal efforts can be used for pre-exercise activations on a daily basis. Daily active deep stretching will allow you to access increased ranges of motion and help strengthen your body over time.

Maximal effort isometrics (90-100%) can be done as a standalone workout, which requires optimal recuperation, as it fully fatigues the central nervous system. (Think of how often you would do maximal lifts in the gym.)

Maximal efforts for 1-2 exercises can be introduced per individual workout, but with a limitation of approximately 1-2 minutes of total contraction time. (This is a general guideline for maximal efforts as some people have exceptional capabilities and can handle more load and effort than most.)”

and

WHY STICK MOBILITY?

"The Stick Mobility Training Stick provides leverage which allows you to achieve positions and ranges of motion you wouldn’t normally be able to reach. It's been the missing link to my own personal mobility training."

Edited by Rhode Island Red
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

photo 45 and 66

photo 16 and 50

without the "Mamba Mentality", we are left to guess and wonder...

3 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

Stickmobility.com

photo 50 of iMac w/ the poles

this is a generic tidbit, not sure what the specific drill is about, except to assume it’s a hip mobility/quad/glute/hammy stretch type. It would appear from the plant position of the poles being slightly behind his torso, that you would start more nearly upright and then slide your front foot further out on the blue foot pad thingy.  No question that this photo shows extreme range of motion, and would be impossible to maintain w/o assistance of some sort, hence the sticks…

How often should I use the Training Sticks?

Stick Mobility can be practiced every day. The benefits of Stick Mobility transfer to performance training and everyday activities. 

You can use Stick Mobility as a standalone training program or segmentally. It is a system that complements other training systems and sports.

Active stretching and flows can be integrated into your daily routine for warm-ups and recovery. Submaximal efforts can be used for pre-exercise activations on a daily basis. Daily active deep stretching will allow you to access increased ranges of motion and help strengthen your body over time.

Maximal effort isometrics (90-100%) can be done as a standalone workout, which requires optimal recuperation, as it fully fatigues the central nervous system. (Think of how often you would do maximal lifts in the gym.)

Maximal efforts for 1-2 exercises can be introduced per individual workout, but with a limitation of approximately 1-2 minutes of total contraction time. (This is a general guideline for maximal efforts as some people have exceptional capabilities and can handle more load and effort than most.)”

and

WHY STICK MOBILITY?

"The Stick Mobility Training Stick provides leverage which allows you to achieve positions and ranges of motion you wouldn’t normally be able to reach. It's been the missing link to my own personal mobility training."

Thanks, that's very informative!

Josh commented in one interview about how his trainers and the S&C staff in Buffalo work with him to make sure he is flexible but still strong.

When Joey Bosa corkscrewed him and he was down for a while, Bangedup Bills analyzed it and pointed out that Allen had good hip flexibility and that protected his knee from damage.  Apparently there may have been a similar effect with his foot where flexibility prevented him from having a worse turf toe injury.

So if this is designed to enhance flexibility and thus protect the ligaments and muscles from tearing, I'm all for it! 

Stick it to your workout, Guys!

• Like (+1) 1

Well, thanks for asking the question and posting the pics! It sure looks like an effective system, one that I’d not seen before. Would love to try it, so I’ll get right onto losing a third of my body weight, so they don’t have to use a crane to get me back to standing…

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Josh commented in one interview about how his trainers and the S&C staff in Buffalo work with him to make sure he is flexible but still strong.

When Joey Bosa corkscrewed him and he was down for a while, Bangedup Bills analyzed it and pointed out that Allen had good hip flexibility and that protected his knee from damage.  Apparently there may have been a similar effect with his foot where flexibility prevented him from having a worse turf toe injury.

So if this is designed to enhance flexibility and thus protect the ligaments and muscles from tearing, I'm all for it! 

You know in the "good ole days" you would see football players spending all their time in the weightroom trying to best each other in the compound lifts so the could get their "name on the board"

Training has evolved so much since that time....functional strenghth training, cardio under duress, hill running, balancing balls.   The NFL Europe player my son trained with in the Summer got him out of the weight room and out in the mountains.    Better to be strong and can go all day instead of 15 second spirts.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The training staff and the emphasis on doing the right things has always made a big difference with regard to avoiding injuries.

When Rex was here I took a ton of grief on TSW for calling out the Bills organization and certain players........like the constantly hamstrung LeSean McCoy...........for all the soft tissue and joint injuries that were sidelining players...........when that hadn't been the case under the more demanding Doug Marrone.

There was a lot of mocking about players with injuries drinking too much booze, etc..:rolleyes:

But if you followed the team you knew the differences between staffs.

Wade Phillips had the same injuries issues when he was here..........the more lax the staff is about training and techniques.........the more ST and joint injuries.

It's not as random as some people have long wanted to believe.

The current Bills training staff and what they ask of players has been a game changer, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

NOT a rope ladder for McKenzie. He's stretching. There's a disk under his lead foot so he can extend his leg unabated and stretch the hammy, and he's supporting his upper body with those poles. I'm guessing the point is to better simulate running and explosive body extension when compared to sitting down or standing upright for hammy stretches. The more you can program/prepare the body to perform dynamic, explosive movements, the better.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

photo 45 and 66

photo 16 and 50

Bane training 😂😂

Its an air restriction device that  makes breathing harder, haven't seen these in awhile, they were popular for couple years  then fell out of favor because they didn't really help stamina.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

You know in the "good ole days" you would see football players spending all their time in the weightroom trying to best each other in the compound lifts so the could get their "name on the board"

Training has evolved so much since that time....functional strenghth training, cardio under duress, hill running, balancing balls.   The NFL Europe player my son trained with in the Summer got him out of the weight room and out in the mountains.    Better to be strong and can go all day instead of 15 second spirts.

Still need to be strong ,those who are against it just dont like hard work, they want some exotic BS that they they think will give them the edge.

To be truly great you need to be strong, fast, explosive and have good endurance and mobility. They key is doing all these things not sacrificing one for another claiming one eliminates the need for the other. And the best way to get strong is heavy compunds lifts and heavy drags, pushes and carries.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.