Let's talk about our offensive schemes

So with the drafting of Parrish and our depleted TE situation, do people think we could be looking at a lot more 3 (with 2RB) and 4 WR sets? I cant wait to see the new wrinkles we throw in to take advantatge of Lossmans mobility...bootlegs, etc. I dont know too much about specific schemes, but its gonna be interesting to see if we "open it up at all". Thoughts?

This is going to be a run-first team, with Willis dialed up for maybe 1,500 yards. I expect at least one reverse a game, and maybe more. It's tempting to give one to Parrish but the Bills may not want to expose him to the punishment if the o-line can't be depended on to spring him.

They've already used flea-flickers and reverses back to the QB with Bledsoe, but I can see a few more with JP because they can expect him to salvage something with his legs if the play as called breaks down or nobody's open. I also expect more safety-valve type throws to backs and TE's (whoever plays TE) for two reasons: (1) they're a good idea for a novice QB, and (2) Bledsoe just didn't like to throw them whereas I don't see JP overruling his coaches on this. I believe he's being programmed to throw safety-valves.

I'd like to see more screen passes but you should really have a mobile line for that, and I don't know if the Bills' o-line is up to it.

I honestly think that MM wants to pass more. Losman is a great pure passer with a great arm. He is working LIKE A DOG to learn the schemes, learn the offense, and mature to the level of where he can run a pass-first offense like that of Indy, Phily, and New England.

Drafting a playmaker receivers like Parrish and Everett (God please heal him quickly) only supports my hypothesis.

I'm looking for a lot of shot-gun this year.

I think we'll see more shotgun (the formation JP was in much of the time at Tulane), from which WM can run the draw and pick his holes, which he seems very adept at (a'la Thumal in the good 'ol days).

In other words, be able to spread the field with 3 WRs AND go Smashmouth when needed....a nice flexible combination to keep teams guessing/honest.

I expect a LOT of packages, with several different looks and combinations of players and formations to keep the defense guessing, make them substitute a lot, and keep them from keeping their top pass rushers in all the time and LBs and safeties in the box to put a ton of pressure on Losman.

You think we will see a little bit more of the "no huddle" this year? I liked when we used it last year, but I guess Bledsoe probably had the knowledge to run that O, and Im not sure if JP could handle that yet

You think we will see a little bit more of the "no huddle" this year?  I liked when we used it last year, but I guess Bledsoe probably had the knowledge to run that O, and Im not sure if JP could handle that yet

330339[/snapback]

I think we'll see shotgun, but no-huddle would put too much pressure on JP to get his reads right...too much, too soon.

I think we'll see shotgun, but no-huddle would put too much pressure on JP to get his reads right...too much, too soon.

330407[/snapback]

See I think just the opposite on the no huddle. My belief is you get a personnel grouping on the field that you fell comfortable attacking. With enough film study, the bills should be able to say, okay, when that personnal grouping comes on the field for the D, here are the two to three schemes they can play.

To me, limits what he would need to be prepared for.

See I think just the opposite on the no huddle. My belief is you get a personnel grouping on the field that you fell comfortable attacking. With enough film study, the bills should be able to say, okay, when that personnal grouping comes on the field for the D, here are the two to three schemes they can play.

To me, limits what he would need to be prepared for.

330427[/snapback]

I remember Kelly saying something like the no-huddle only had about half a dozen set plays...that's how he could run it so efficiently!!

But seriously, I think it would be a HUGE mistake to throw JP into the fire by making him have to call his own plays as well...let him get his feet wet, then add the odd shotgun, 3-wide set from time to time to mix it up.

I'd hate to see JPs confidence get rattled if he made a few early mistakes from a no-huddle scheme. Gotta crawl before you walk. <_<

Traps - I hope. Probably some wr quick out screens. I doubt there will be many TE completions - rookie qb's seldom pick up their route adaptations if and after they release from blocks.

330470[/snapback]

IMO, WM would be great on traps.

CV is mobile enough to execute trap assignments, but I have my doubts about Anderson. Maybe TT could help out as well.

At the beginning of the year I was sure that this was going to be a run dominant team but now I am having second thoughts.....especially given who our 2nd round pick was.....

I think that we are going to use the pass to set up the run.....

I mean....look at it....speed all over the field with Moulds, Evans, and now Rosco.....

An athletic TE Euhus who just might end up being good....Everett will end up being better

I think the bills are going start off pounding it.....but as the season goes on and JPL gets more seasoned they are going to start throwing it all over the place and let Magehee take advantage and run underneath the coverage......

At the beginning of the year I was sure that this was going to be a run dominant team but now I am having second thoughts.....especially given who our 2nd round pick was.....

I think that we are going to use the pass to set up the run.....

I mean....look at it....speed all over the field with Moulds, Evans, and now Rosco.....

An athletic TE Euhus who just might end up being good....Everett will end up being better

I think the bills are going start off pounding it.....but as the season goes on and JPL gets more seasoned they are going to start throwing it all over the place and let Magehee take advantage and run underneath the coverage......

330528[/snapback]

Nice to hear from you. I started a thread at your expense a while ago. Forgive me! <_<

330528[/snapback]

Tough to be a dominant run team without the threat of a pass (see Baltimore with J. Lewis last season). Decent defenses stack 7 or 8 in the box on first and 2nd down and will dare us to throw the football.

It won't surprise me in the least to see numerous 3rd and medium distance draws that are successful at picking up first downs with Moulds, Evans, and Parrish on the field.

Question. Could there be more of an emphasis on the FB position now that the TE position is getting thin, especially one who has pass catching abilities? If so, then this could be an even more available resource of talent.

Mularkey has shown that he will play to JPs ability to move even in pre-season last year. It's safe to assume the offensive strategy will be use of the big guards to pound the running game inside and take advantage of the mann cover and personell packages that draws on the defensive side by rolling the pocket with regularity and using our newfound speed at WR with intermediate crossing routes designed to offer JP his primary targets in the same area of the field- making his reads on who has shaken coverage much easier. Vermiel has had a lot of success running a more stationary pocket version of this supplemented with slants where the defender cheats up to jam their man, the whole key to it is the speed at the 2 and 3 WR spot. If Parrish overtakes JReed or gets an equal number of plays it will become a way to keep pressure off JP by forcing the defensive line to read before reacting to the play and then burning the defensive backfield above by virtue of the time it's bought the QB and the routes gaining separation in that area 15 yards downfield due in large part to the speed of our WRs.

The bottom line for us is that it will continue to be set up by play action because that's the theoretical advantage to us- put your run stopping D in and bring a safety for help- opening the middle of the field for the cross route with the man CB protecting the post and almost being forced to concede the inside break. It's not deep ball football but it does offer HUGE opportunities for RAC, plus obviously it offers the WR to take the post if the defender blows coverage low and also breaking to the sideline once you've established in route inside.

It's not what they ran for Bledsoe- they preferred him throwing out after out. I believe the changes in personell will move this offense in a new direction and I can;t imagine they want bascialy a rookie to learn the hard way about a sideline passing offense in this league.

Question. Could there be more of an emphasis on the FB position now that the TE position is getting thin, especially one who has pass catching abilities? If so, then this could be an even more available resource of talent.

330837[/snapback]

By using the Steeler teams that Mularkey coached with as examples, it seems to me that the TEs and FBs were low on the perverbial totem pole with regard to the passing game. I suspect the same will hold true here in Buffalo.

I think it be realistic to expect our offensive numbers to mirror Mularkey's 2001 season with the Steelers as think Losman is closer to Kordell Stewart than Tommy Maddox in terms of NFL skills right now. One thing I think we'll see more of this year is a quicker move the chains passing game than we did with Bledsoe.

So with the drafting of Parrish and our depleted TE situation, do people think we could be looking at a lot more 3 (with 2RB)  and 4 WR sets?  I cant wait to see the new wrinkles we throw in to take advantatge of Lossmans mobility...bootlegs, etc.  I dont know too much about specific schemes, but its gonna be interesting to see if we "open it up at all".  Thoughts?

330222[/snapback]

I think any scheme that requires DB not being behind center is probably

a winning one.

:(