The Other Number 12

The Buffalo Bills Other Number 12

January 12, 1998

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Tom "Rockpile" Benson

TBD Guest Columnist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There should be no doubt in any long-time fan's mind that Jim Kelly was the greatest quarterback in Bills history; all one has to do is scan the record book for proof. But there was another number 12 at the helm of the Buffalo Bills during some of their most exciting and most frustrating years who also had the heart of a lion - Joe Ferguson.

Ferguson was drafted out of Arkansas in 1973 in the third round, after leading the Razorbacks for three years. His college accomplishments include All-Southwest Conference quarterback where he passed for 4,431 career yards. He set a school record that still stands with 2,203 passing yards in 1971. He was Most Valuable Player of the 1971 Liberty Bowl.

In his rookie year with the Bills, Ferguson became the starting quarterback and played in all fourteen games, but his role went from "Air Arkansas" to a role that mostly involved handing the ball to O.J. Simpson. He only attempted 164 passes that entire year (in one game at Arkansas he had passed 51 times!), but he was an integral part of the squad that helped O.J. get his 2003 yard season.

Sometimes Ferguson looked at OJ and asked himself why he was needed in Buffalo. But instead of fretting over the lack of an aggressive passing offense, he concentrated on his primary role on the team - play every down, work hard, study the game. There is always room to improve and his day would come.

In 1980, the Bills won their first division title in 14 years, and the goal posts came tumbling down! This led to a playoff game against San Diego that, for me, will always be one of the most memorable contests I have ever watched. Ferguson was playing hurt; his ankle caused him so much pain that he could barely stand. But he stood in there and took a pounding, unable to scramble and injured too severely to plant his foot to throw. The Bills held a 14-13 lead until late in the fourth quarter when an across the middle slant pass put the Chargers ahead 20-14.

After the game was over, the ankle was examined again. It was sprained, torn, stretched, pulled, and had a cracked bone in the back. But the hardest part for Joe Ferguson was that he knew this was likely the closest his team would get to the Super Bowl. For his tenure with the team, in fact, it was.

Ferguson was widely praised when the Bills won, and crucified when they lost. The biggest misunderstanding was his posture when he left the field after an interception, failed conversion attempt, or other offensive miscue. He would walk off the field, head down, which was misinterpreted by fans as hanging his head in defeat. But for Joe it was a personal statement: whatever play he was trying to execute had not worked and he was already concentrating on what he would do the next time he got the ball in his hands.

Joe Ferguson retired in 1990. In all, he spent twelve seasons with the Buffalo Bills and six more with Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Indianapolis. During his NFL tenure, he passed for 29,827 yards and 196 touchdowns (27,590 yards and 181 touchdowns as a Bill).

After his career in the NFL was finished, he worked at real estate for a while, and was a football radio commentator and pre-game co-host on Arkansas Razorback Sports Network.

In 1995, he filled in for two weeks for an injured David Archer as a favor to an old friend, former Bills quarterback and head coach, Kay Stephenson, then head coach of the San Antonio Texans of the CFL. Stephenson had tried to get him to commit to the entire season, but at 45, he and his family decided playing football was no longer an option!

1995 was also the year Joe Ferguson's name went up on the Wall of Fame in Rich Stadium.

Football was still in his blood, even if he was through as a player. He served as quarterbacks coach for Louisiana Tech in 1990 and 1991, eventually returning to Arkansas as quarterbacks coach for the Razorbacks.

At the age of 47, he is back at his alma mater, 28 years after he first arrived. He and his wife Sandy have a daughter Kristen, 14, and son Trey, 11.

He is in excellent physical shape and still looks like he could come out and take some snaps from center! He will always be one of the players I look up to; he made the most of every opportunity that came his way. He was never a quitter. Now he is teaching those same qualities to a new generation of college and NFL hopefuls - play every down, work hard, study the game.

Copyright ©1998 Tom "Rockpile" Benson. All rights reserved.

My prayers for your speedy recovery, Joe! :lol:

Ferguson was widely praised when the Bills won, and crucified when they lost. The biggest misunderstanding was his posture when he left the field after an interception, failed conversion attempt, or other offensive miscue. He would walk off the field, head down, which was misinterpreted by fans as hanging his head in defeat.

329630[/snapback]

I remember that look all too well. :lol:

But that was then, and this is now...

GET WELL, JOE! :lol:

Very nice post. I never knew why Joe looked down but it never bothered me. Those that said he wasn't tough or competitive just never watched what he actually did on the field. And when given wide receivers, he had a very good passing game.

The way Joe had to bare the burden of crappy team play always came to mind when other QB's seemed to get more than their share of blame.

His biggest divisional rival was probably Bert Jones, and I could never figure out why Bert got so much good press and Joe did not.

In 1980, the Bills won their first division title in 14 years, and the goal posts came tumbling down! This led to a playoff game against San Diego that, for me, will always be one of the most memorable contests I have ever watched. Ferguson was playing hurt; his ankle caused him so much pain that he could barely stand. But he stood in there and took a pounding, unable to scramble and injured too severely to plant his foot to throw. The Bills held a 14-13 lead until late in the fourth quarter when an across the middle slant pass put the Chargers ahead 20-14.

329630[/snapback]

The game before that was one of my favorite memories of not just Fergy but of the 1980 team. In week 15 Joe had his ankle crushed against the Patriots.

The following week the Bills had to win against the 49ers on the road to beat the Pats for the division title. In a rainy, mud soaked field in San Fran, the OL protected him so well, that he left the field without a single spec of dirt on him....while everyone else on the team could barely tell what their jersey number was because of all the mud.

If you have a copy of the book RELENTLESS read page 287.

Classic Fergy!

The way Joe had to bare the burden of crappy team play always came to mind when other QB's seemed to get more than their share of blame.

His biggest divisional rival was probably Bert Jones, and I could never figure out why Bert got so much good press and Joe did not.

329667[/snapback]

Joe F. handled his career and his travails in Buffalo with so much class - it makes me proud. I met him several times and he was always a complete gentleman.

While the bulk of today's NFL players are AOK - the "punks" could learn something from the alleged old-timers :lol:

Joe D. is another one - who also protected Joe F's back for a while 0:)

Being the nostalgic sort, I for one would like to see some more columns from Rockpile and Bob Lamb. Those terrific, informative summaries of Bills days gone by is what made this place great, back in the day... 0:)

Being the nostalgic sort, I for one would like to see some more columns from Rockpile and Bob Lamb. Those terrific, informative summaries of Bills days gone by is what made this place great, back in the day...  0:)

329900[/snapback]

I second that....

Dammit Charlie Romes....hold onto the ball! 0:)

I remember that game as my first big Bills heartbreak. It would have been nice to see how far they could have gone if they had won that one.

p.s. great piece Rockpile...thanks!

I suppose it would be bad form at this juncture to bring up Joe's sudden inability to tell time during the Cincinnati playoff game.  <_<

330020[/snapback]

URGH!!!! And the flag comes in after little Louie had made the first down.

Being the nostalgic sort, I for one would like to see some more columns from Rockpile and Bob Lamb. Those terrific, informative summaries of Bills days gone by is what made this place great, back in the day...  <_<

329900[/snapback]

Throw in Kultar! :doh:

By the way, as a ten year old playing backyard football, if a pass went incomplete, we'd hang our heads like Fergy... <_<

Edited by KnightRider