Will the Pats now play the role of Dolphins to the 90s Bills?

Big Turk

The analogy doesn't quite work IMO, but the situation won't stay the way it is now forever.

The better question regarding New England is which direction Belichick might go in the near future.

All in on Mac?  Looking for new QB this offseason?  Retiring and if so, when?  Etc.

I still don't feel like I know what the Patriots will be in the near future.

Until they get a real QB, we'll have the upper hand though.

46 minutes ago, JDamn86 said:

Well.. I think the division is the Bills but one would have to think.. unless Bill retires it will be competitive. He was able to get to the playoffs in a "rebuilding mode" with a middle of the pack defense and a rookie QB. Not just go 8-8 but actually win 10 games, get to the post season with a rookie QB who can only go up from here. If the kid's rookie season was enough to win 10 games, before BB retools in the offseason adding weapons which Im sure he will and retooling the defense then just imagine how far that can go. With that being said Buffalo will be a perrenial Superbowl contender and will likely win one or two.. but New England can still be a formidable playoff foe at least until BB retires.. 10-8 in try number 1? And thats a failure for him? Sheesh

Ok my friend, so you're clearly a Pats fan. Your Pats won 10 games in a 17 game season, let's not forget, so its not as flashy as it used to be, and I need to address your comment about "a rookie QB who can only go up from here." That is not a given and certainly not for a kid who was scouted at being possibly the most 'NFL ready' but at the same time closest to his ceiling. It will be interesting to see how much farther 'up' there is. How many games would your Pats have won with this team if Tommy was still behind center? Your team's competitive heart and soul has been ripped out for 2 years now and it's not coming back. "You want the truth? .... You want the plain truth?....... You're over!"

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Patriots will have a tough season next year. Schedule will be more difficult, they have some guys on defense getting old, spent a lot on FAs, don’t think they can do that again. As for Mac Jones maybe he gets better, or maybe DCs have enough film to know what he can and cannot do. I believe it will be the latter. If the Patriots miss the playoffs next year I think Belichick retires, he is a micro manager, he is that organization, if he is gone they are toast.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like the Pats might be the divisional rival that gets stomped by the Bills for the next few years similar to how the Dolphins did in the late 80s and 90s. Sometimes the games were good, but most of the time the Bills were in control and some were Bills blowouts. Playoff wins solidified the rivalry.

I don't see the Pats competing anytime soon, so this could be fun.

I suspect that the Pats will be worse off than the 90s Dolphins.  First, they don't have Dan Marino.  Second, they spent a bunch of loot on what we just witnessed.  Coming into this season, many here opined that the Pats would be a lot better, and the game on 12/6 didn't disprove their opinions.  But the last two games?  If you can't beat the Bills then you're toast in the AFCE.

1 hour ago, Ponch said:

Ok my friend, so you're clearly a Pats fan. Your Pats won 10 games in a 17 game season, let's not forget, so its not as flashy as it used to be, and I need to address your comment about "a rookie QB who can only go up from here." That is not a given and certainly not for a kid who was scouted at being possibly the most 'NFL ready' but at the same time closest to his ceiling. It will be interesting to see how much farther 'up' there is. How many games would your Pats have won with this team if Tommy was still behind center? Your team's competitive heart and soul has been ripped out for 2 years now and it's not coming back. "You want the truth? .... You want the plain truth?....... You're over!"

First of all.. my friend, I addressed this with respect and even gave credit to Buffalo saying what they will be for years to come. What I typed was no intent to start a war, it was simply stating football opinions based on unbiased protectory. But since Im obviously responding to an emotional child that has been under durress for 20 years  (I didnt want to say because Im not like that, and whats in the past is in the past, but your response warranted me to do so) and has no desire to realistically discuss the sport of which we all love, let me hit you with a few points. No Im not saying he will be a Hall of Famer or even a probowler... but go into the archives and look up some of the rookie seasons of some of the best at the position we have ever seen. And then also tell me how many rookies in NFL history who started at the QB position have been part of an NFL run. How many other rookie QBs have a decent season let alone went to the playoffs? Most NFL ready, doesnt mean the fastest to being elite, it means just that.. efficient and able to run an offense at the NFL level. The kid did that before he hit the rookie wall. With the head coach and OC that he has, Im almost certain he won't regress. You know that as well. This team with alot of holes.. ALOT of holes won 10 games. Is a bad team suppose to win 10 games? Surely an average team cannot win 10 games? When every other team on their schedule are other PROFESSIONALS who get paid. So all Im going to say to YOU specifically, not others on this forum as they seem reasonable and respectful is that to get 10-8 with a ROOKIE means somebody did something right, more then they did wrong.. otherwise, the season would have been 8-8 or less.. period. Buffalo is a great team that can win it all this year and will be the class of the AFC east or SHOULD BE for years to come. Good day and good night, my disgrunted one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 8:55 PM, JDamn86 said:

First of all.. my friend, I addressed this with respect and even gave credit to Buffalo saying what they will be for years to come. What I typed was no intent to start a war, it was simply stating football opinions based on unbiased protectory. But since Im obviously responding to an emotional child that has been under durress for 20 years  (I didnt want to say because Im not like that, and whats in the past is in the past, but your response warranted me to do so) and has no desire to realistically discuss the sport of which we all love, let me hit you with a few points. No Im not saying he will be a Hall of Famer or even a probowler... but go into the archives and look up some of the rookie seasons of some of the best at the position we have ever seen. And then also tell me how many rookies in NFL history who started at the QB position have been part of an NFL run. How many other rookie QBs have a decent season let alone went to the playoffs? Most NFL ready, doesnt mean the fastest to being elite, it means just that.. efficient and able to run an offense at the NFL level. The kid did that before he hit the rookie wall. With the head coach and OC that he has, Im almost certain he won't regress. You know that as well. This team with alot of holes.. ALOT of holes won 10 games. Is a bad team suppose to win 10 games? Surely an average team cannot win 10 games? When every other team on their schedule are other PROFESSIONALS who get paid. So all Im going to say to YOU specifically, not others on this forum as they seem reasonable and respectful is that to get 10-8 with a ROOKIE means somebody did something right, more then they did wrong.. otherwise, the season would have been 8-8 or less.. period. Buffalo is a great team that can win it all this year and will be the class of the AFC east or SHOULD BE for years to come. Good day and good night, my disgrunted one. 

My Pat's friend, I do indeed owe you an apology. I am an emotional child, you are correct sir. However, I have been under duress for closer to 40 years now, ever since Joe Ferguson was limping on his busted ankle in the playoffs back in the early 80's. But we're just becoming chummy, how could you possibly know those details.  As I re-read my comments I could see my quote at the end may have seemed filled with vitriol, and for that I am deeply sorry. What I was simply trying to do was quote from one of the greatest, to me anyway, 'David slays Goliath'-type endings from the under-appreciated movie "Some Kind of Wonderful". Keith, the protagonist, says what I quoted earlier, to the antagonist, Hardy Jenns ("two N's")...it's quite spectacular really, because the WAY Keith utters it to Jenns, why you can hardly hear him even say it... he just looks him in the eye and with total confidence and clarity he says, "You're over". Simple, understated, yet profound!  It's a fabulous scene, if you haven't seen it, oh! you gotta watch it.. I mean it's John Hughes, great 80's music, can't beat it.... it just seemed to fit, but, you're right... it was mean. I do, however, feel the Patriots are not the same and may never be the same since Brady left, and you cannot quickly or perhaps ever be able to regain that or even come anywhere close to that. I felt your line of reasoning just wasn't very realistic, or at least that simple. My opinion, I understand that doesn't carry much weight. But who knows, MJ10 may just be TB12 2.0. I guess that's why they play the games. If there is one thing we share in common, it is that "hope springs eternal"... and here's to unbiasedly protecting neglected or abandoned children! ✌️✌️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.