Any word out of mini-camp

I've been holding out hope that Willis would have back more of the great speed he had in college. I was just wondering if any of the reports out of the mini-camp mentioned how McGahee looked?

When he was breaking away from the pack and out running folks to the endzone last year I thought he looked pretty fast. Maybe it was just me.

327792[/snapback]

I think it was something of an optical illusion. He REALLY bulked up in his rehab. He played a lot heavier, but I agree with you, I don't think he's any slower.

yeah, willis added 10 pound of muscle post knee rip. so he looked like a haus in space. but his game speed is the same as it was at miami.

jason tayor - miami DT stated that he could not believe how fast and powerful mcgahee was - after willis ran him over on one of many plays to his side. you can't arm tackle #23.

willis reminds me of fred taylor who can take hit at the POA and also get to the outside and to the second level to shed tackles and gain extra yardage behind WR blocking. if he works on his pass catching, he will top 2,000 total yards this season and be the starting pro bowl RB along with jamal l.

yeah, willis added 10 pound of muscle post knee rip.  so he looked like a haus in space.  but his game speed is the same as it was at miami.

jason tayor - miami DT stated that he could not believe how fast and powerful mcgahee was - after willis ran him over on one of many plays to his side.  you can't arm tackle #23. 

willis reminds me of fred taylor who can take hit at the POA and also get to the outside and to the second level to shed tackles and gain extra yardage behind WR blocking.  if he works on his pass catching, he will top 2,000 total yards this season and be the starting pro bowl RB along with jamal l.

327812[/snapback]

I'm with you. Willis has got to be the strongest RB I've ever seen. His stiff-arm isn't so much a stiff-arm as it is a pimp-slap. He just makes defenders his yotches.

I hope he's pulled early in the 1st quarter in each pre-season game, even benching him for the final pre-season game vs. the Lions. Get the rust off and protect him until the opener. He's our meal ticket.

yeah, willis added 10 pound of muscle post knee rip.  so he looked like a haus in space.  but his game speed is the same as it was at miami.

jason tayor - miami DT stated that he could not believe how fast and powerful mcgahee was - after willis ran him over on one of many plays to his side.  you can't arm tackle #23. 

willis reminds me of fred taylor who can take hit at the POA and also get to the outside and to the second level to shed tackles and gain extra yardage behind WR blocking.  if he works on his pass catching, he will top 2,000 total yards this season and be the starting pro bowl RB along with jamal l.

327812[/snapback]

#21 is tough to arm tackle & pretty fast too ... :doh:

When he was breaking away from the pack and out running folks to the endzone last year I thought he looked pretty fast. Maybe it was just me.

327792[/snapback]

I'm not saying he didn't look damn fast last season. But I know he said at the end of the season that he is still working on regaining the full speed he had before the injury.

Here is a quick example of someone writng about just that:

Sporting News

Bills RB Willis McGahee should be faster next season because he will be able to train for speed for the first time since blowing out his knee at the end of his college career, in January 2003. As McGahee gained confidence in his knee last season, he ran with power and gained yards after contact. His speed, however, was average.

I think three things:

1. He definitely got faster as the season went on.

2. By the end of the year he still was not near full speed or his college speed.

3. He does have that way of running that he doesn't appear to be running fast when he is. But there were a few times when I felt LBs kept up with him or he wasn't able to turn the corner like he will this year.

If he does, which I expect him to, we're in for a treat, because he's much bigger and stronger than he was in college. Quite an impressive package of physical tools, speed, strength, running ability, football smarts, dedication and confidence.

I'm with you. Willis has got to be the strongest RB I've ever seen. His stiff-arm isn't so much a stiff-arm as it is a pimp-slap. He just makes defenders his yotches.

327818[/snapback]

Did you see him on ESPN Bowling Night? I couldn't believe how he was whipping the ball and in short sleeves he looked pretty chiseled. Bowling has nothing to do with football, but the sheer muscle he showed was impressive.

I think three things:

1. He definitely got faster as the season went on.

2. By the end of the year he still was not near full speed or his college speed.

3. He does have that way of running that he doesn't appear to be running fast when he is. But there were a few times when I felt LBs kept up with him or he wasn't able to turn the corner like he will this year.

If he does, which I expect him to, we're in for a treat, because he's much bigger and stronger than he was in college. Quite an impressive package of physical tools, speed, strength, running ability, football smarts, dedication and confidence.

327982[/snapback]

I think he will be a bit faster this year, not just phyically though. He will know the plays a lot better and where the holes are so he should "play" faster. As for turning the corner, there has to be one to turn. With the questions we have at left tackle, that might be a problem.

327812[/snapback]

Watching Willis Last year Fred Taylor is exactaly who he reminded me of, and it's not a bad comparison at all. However. Mcgahee is a much better goalline back than Taylor, and let's all pray Mcgahee doesn't end up with the nickname Fragile Willis, like Taylor has with "Fragile Fred" :blink:

Willis imo is plenty fast. While he looks slow watching him, he can bounce to the outside and hit holes off tackle pretty quick. While He's not breaking those long 70-80 yard runs, he ripped off more 20+ yard runs than travis henry ever will in his career. (That's not a rip at Henry, only comparing cause he was our most recent back). Willis has a wicked stiff arm, and can bounce off defenders like a bowling ball. He should have a huge year this year.

327818[/snapback]

The McGahee pimp-slap... somebody needs to copyright that. :blink: