Racial Equity?

Westside

4 hours ago, LeviF said:

I listened to a twitter space on reparations that was entirely POC speakers and man, it's incredible what they base their arguments on. Not on history, not even a legitimate engagement with reality. For example, they were calling for a minority business loan program. Had no idea that several exist. Another was saying they should get funneled government contracts. Anyone who works with the government is well aware of the various programs that prioritize and even guarantee MWBE participation.

I used to work in small business finance and I had a client who did government work and only bid on jobs he could mainly farm out. He was a black man and knew he could pad his contract by 8-10% and still get a contract. He would do a minimal amount of the work and pay out rest to contractors and still cleared over 100k for himself each year. His biggest issue was that government in his case paid slow, hence needing us.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I used to work in small business finance and I had a client who did government work and only bid on jobs he could mainly farm out. He was a black man and knew he could pad his contract by 8-10% and still get a contract. He would do a minimal amount of the work and pay out rest to contractors and still cleared over 100k for himself each year. His biggest issue was that government in his case paid slow, hence needing us.

my fiance is doing a similar thing.  getting government contracts and cashing in because its a "woman owned business."

3 hours ago, Beach said:

my fiance is doing a similar thing.  getting government contracts and cashing in because its a "woman owned business."

Ive worked within the public contracting sector for many decades. Every time the well meaning political class attempts to put their thumb on the scale of true competition you end up with corruption on a grand scale and little to no benefit for the people these good intentioned programs are intended to help. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/28/2021 at 9:39 PM, Tenhigh said:

I have always thought that equality ensured equal opportunities while equity means equal outcomes. And this comic always comes to mind:

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

You do realize equity would also be no one gets to see the game also? That is how it generally works in school therefore I much closer to equality. I will not have my good students fail so the kids who don't work at all can pass.

14 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You do realize equity would also be no one gets to see the game also? That is how it generally works in school therefore I much closer to equality. I will not have my good students fail so the kids who don't work at all can pass.

Of course I understand that, I am not an idiot. Everyone should get a fair shot, not an equal outcome.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

Of course I understand that, I am not an idiot. Everyone should get a fair shot, not an equal outcome.

This is it. This is the time. There are ‘fair shots’, otherwise known as JOBS open all over America! If people are going to get in the game…do it now! 

2 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

Equal opportunity proved to not be enough.  It failed to produce the expected results.  So enter Racial Equity.  The mythical belief that everyone's outcome must be equal or consistent and any variance in outcomes is the result of racial bias.  I say mythical because it ignores all other factors and circumstances that impact outcomes.  When this fails because of the previously mentioned ignoring of other impacts what's next?  To be clear, this is not a denial of racial inequities, its merely a balanced opinion that other factors are important, quite likely more important, and ignoring them is inconsistent with an expectation of success.    

• Agree 1