GDT: Browns @ Packers, Christmas Day, 4:30 PM Eastern

RiotAct

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think both could, actually...but they would need to get substantial help along the way, or there would need to be some special circumstance that allowed it.  It would be unlikely. 

To me Garappolo is better than both Wentz and Mayfield, and they are most likely done with Garoppolo in SF.   The Colts are a great team, but I do not believe Wentz can deliver them a Championship.  

The Browns outplayed the Pack except for Baker's turnovers.  Great roster, but Mayfield cannot do the job.   

8 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I still like it as a no call - watch the way at 5 yards People-Jones really leans into Douglas and then pushes off right at the break.  He completely extends his left arm into Douglas right shoulder to try and gain separation.

Does Douglas hold - yep, but I think you have just as much OPI going on with how the route was run.  

That to me is not blatant PI - that is allowing two guys to play each other.  The offensive guy drove into him to maintain contact and pushed off.  The defender grabbed the jersey, but didn’t pull him out of his break.

The issue is what do you want as an outcome - Packers fans would be ticked if they called the flag to negate a game winning Int on a play the WR pushed off, the Browns are ticked it wasn’t called.  I think that makes sense as a no call then.

Never should've even come to this play - GB defender dropped a sure interception a bit earlier which would've been Mayfield's 4th at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think both could, actually...but they would need to get substantial help along the way, or there would need to be some special circumstance that allowed it.  It would be unlikely. 

I thought it was a penalty FOR SURE.  

The defender *slightly* impeded the receiver's ability to initiate the break and come back for the ball, and that is exactly what created the space for the defender to be in the right place, the receiver to be in the wrong place, and for the defender to catch the ball instead of the receiver.

Slight advantage gained, but that's still enough to make it a penalty all day long.

The problem with this league is some times they call that, some times they don't, you don't know which call you'll get, and they are not even consistent within the same game with the same group of officials.

It's a mess and has to be one of the leading problems facing the NFL.

And sometimes in Basketball it is a blocking foul - sometimes a charge, sometimes the hand play gets called sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it is a travel and sometimes a player like LeBron can basically run a marathon without dribbling and still be fine.

In Hockey, sometimes they call interference, or hooking and others time they don’t.  Sometimes a guy gets cross checked from behind and punched in the head and they let it go in the crease, but two guy in the middle of the ice and it gets called.

Baseball - Ball and strikes, safe and out, check swings, etc.

English Football/Soccer - the diving to get calls is ridiculous, off sides to take away an advantage - it is very inconsistent.

Anytime you have humans calling the game - you get inconsistent calls - even when you use other humans to look at the same play.

You say he gained a slight advantage - I see the WR acting in a manner that created the contact and pushing off - both leading to the defenders play - to me that is the very definition of what should be a no call.

There are clear call that get missed - see the Diggs play with his Jersey and under shirt 2 yards back and sometimes there are phantom calls like earlier Arizona game in the game where the defender (7) undercut and was called for PI and never touched him.

It is a problem, but until we are all replaced by machines the solution is just another human that may or may not see it your way and therefore it will still be inconsistent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.