Presidential Biographies

Over the weekend I decided that I was going to read a biography for each US president in chronological order. That is, assuming there IS an easily obtained biography for each president. To get started I went to Amazon and the search turned up 1159 results for the keywords "George" "Washington" and "Biography." That's when I realized that I'm going to need some help.

Which well-written presidential biographies have you read that you would recommend? Keep in mind that I only plan to read one for each pres. (for now), so I would prefer something both comprehensive and objective. Keep the slants and bias to a minimum.

Thanks for the help.

I think you're going to have trouble with the likes of Chester A Arthur and Millard Fillmore.

325947[/snapback]

No problem. I've already ordered their biographical pamphlets. :blink:

Truman-

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067...3251361-4039929

Truman is one of the most fascinating Presidents ever IMO.  He dropped the bomb, was the second leader to recognize Israel, instilled the Marshall Plan, Korean War, etc.  This book is a great read!

325833[/snapback]

McCulloch's Truman is awesome. By the same author though, and #2 in your sequence of presidents,

ME!

George Washington - "His Excellency" ***** <----- that is my 5 star rating!

I was a big GW fan before I read this book. And I can honestly say it was very well balanced in providing his positive side as well has the arrogance he had...that made some in his day not like him.

Sometimes as you read through it you will wonder how in the world the Colonists ever won the Revoltuion. Depending on your position of faith you may come to the conclusion that it was Gods divine providence that allowed the Americans to win....or you will believe that GW has the world's largest horshoe planted up his arse.

GREAT BOOK!

George Washington - "His Excellency"    *****  <----- that is my 5 star rating!

I was a big GW fan before I read this book.  And I can honestly say it was very well balanced in providing his positive side as well has the arrogance he had...that made some in his day not like him. 

Sometimes as you read through it you will wonder how in the world the Colonists ever won the Revoltuion.  Depending on your position of faith you may come to the conclusion that it was Gods divine providence that allowed the Americans to win....or you will believe that GW has the world's largest horshoe planted up his arse.

GREAT BOOK!

326005[/snapback]

He grew hemp you know. And don't tell me he was making rope with it either.

Puff Puff...WHEEEE!

American Heritage Magazine also published a book on the Presidents.  It gives about a 10 page history of each of the Presidents administrations.  If you decide to back off your plan to read a full Biography of each....this is also great for leisure reading.

Illustrated History of the Presidents

326041[/snapback]

Thanks. Hopefully my stamina will hold out long enough so I don't have to go the Hot Pockets route too early. :blink:

This will be more of a marathon than a sprint. Gotta mix it up with some fun reading or I'll start losing interest by the time I get to Van Buren.

He grew hemp you know. And don't tell me he was making rope with it either.

Puff Puff...WHEEEE!

326031[/snapback]

Wasn't hemp a very viable cash crop until about the 1940's? Quite revisonist thinking of you... You have been hanging out at too many "Pro Hemp Rallies/Parades?" :w00t::blink:

There are still remnants of the industry growing wild out here... On some levees in Western Illinois, I have seen the stuff 6' feet tall (I avoided the word "high" :P )

With the advent of nylon... Which took the rope business by storm? You're backward logic seems palatable on the surface... But, it is far from the truth that people grew this purely to "enjoy." Sure makes for great fun!

:blink::angry: