Do YOU believe in "God?"

Do YOU believe in "God?"  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU believe in "God?"

• Yes, I do blieve in God/higher power
    • No, I do not believe in God/higher power
    • Really undecided

All 32 NFL teams have different strategies. For example, The buffalo bills were supposed to be a smash mouth, running team. The Colts were All out passing, etc etc.... In the end all of the teams have the ultimate goal of moving the football and reaching the endzone. The endzone to me is what we call "life after death" All religions acknowledge the life after death aspect. However their approaches to getting there are all different, hence are you a running team, a passing team, or a defensive 3-4/4-3 team.

328486[/snapback]

Please tell me that you used this analogy in your paper.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ask me, the Western NY climate disproves the whole "proper amounts of heat and light" thing.

328466[/snapback]

Yeah, there is not enough of either to sustain intelligent life here. :blink:

Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of deity.

Where in that statement is Newton promoting blind acceptance of any religion as fact?

No knock on Newton, but I find it "senseless" to blindly accept religion as "fact". Simply the fact that there are so many They can't all be right.I mean, there are tribes out there that believe in rain gods and gods for just about everything. Are they "wrong" for their beliefs?  It makes more sense to accept the fact that we truly do not know exactly how the Earth and life came to be. Atheism is the conclusion that these explanations are not good enough. I voted "no" in this poll as the choices were not good enough. I guess I'd say I believe something created our universe. But probably not the traditional"God" that everyone is talking about. And definitely not in any "heaven and hell" type concept. I think when you're dead, that's probably it.  :blink:

328448[/snapback]

I would have to say that I assumed about 90-95% of people would be believers.  Seeing the results of this poll has me kind of shocked.  I would bet that most of the undecided in rough times would be swayed to becoming believers. 

One point that many of the critics of "religion" forget (Keep in mind i do not follow any organized religion myself)  is that at the foundation most religions are exactly the same.  I'll use a football analogy...  All 32 NFL teams have different strategies.  For example,  The buffalo bills were supposed to be a smash mouth, running team.  The Colts were All out passing, etc etc....  In the end all of the teams have the ultimate goal of moving the football and reaching the endzone.  The endzone to me is what we call "life after death"  All religions acknowledge the life after death aspect.  However their approaches to getting there are all different, hence are you a running team, a passing team, or a defensive 3-4/4-3 team.  All are different in their own respect, but all have the same ultimate goal and philosophy.  Just my take on it.  :D

328486[/snapback]

I've seen Gallup polls that suggest belief in God is in the range you expected, 90-95%. I don't know what these percentages say about football fans. It is interesting that some religions are essentially universalist. Hinduism has a saying that goes something like this: "All roads lead to the top of the mountain." Of course, Hindus believe in reincarnation, that you keep coming back until you get it right, or something like that. Other religions, including the one in which I believe stubbornly insist that there can only be one right way. I freely admit that the possibility exists that the way I think is the right one isn't, but it makes the most sense for me. Moreover, and those outside of Christianity would not be able to appreciate this, Jesus shows himself to believers in such a way that faith really is not blind. That is the experience of Jesus is real.

You mention in your post that all religions believe in life after death. That may be true after a fashion, but there are lots of differences in how different religions perceive life after death. Of course Hinduism posits a nearly endless cycle of life, death, and reincarnation. The ultimate goal however is Nirvana, which is a melding back into the oneness of the universe and the yielding up of individual consciousness. Islam posits a very materialistic heaven complete with all manner of material delights. Christianity is less definitive about our hereafter than some. Tghe final book of the Bible, Revelation describes a fantastic golden city in a huge golden cube that comes down out of heaven. For most of us however, that seems more figurative than actual. I think that heaven is mostly about the bond of relationship between God and the redeemed, and between the redeemed being much more real. In the letters of Paul, the apostle describes being sealed with the Holy Spirit (figurative language for receiving the Holy Spirit) as a foretaste of heaven.

Guest BackInDaDay
Interesting comments from Isaac Newton:

On atheism:

"Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system. I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance."

328213[/snapback]

The human ego, and it's inflated sense of a universal relevency, never ceases to amaze me. We are interesting creatures, to be sure, but I think the universe did just fine without us, and will someday do so again.

Without researching the man, I'd expect that Sir Isaac Newton was conflicted by the pressures of his religious beliefs on his reason. Sitting beneath the storied apple tree, in the tall grass of a beautiful English countryside, such an observation is easy to make. Park his pasty butt in the Sahara and maybe he changes his view.

This is a fine example of what disturbs me most about religion.

When faith is reduced to a subjective belief it has the ability to coax reasonable men into unreasonable thoughts and acts.

No offense meant to any of my fellow posters. I've read some great opinions here. Maybe it's safe to say, be good people, and the rest will take care of itself.

I'm an atheist. The idea of "God" makes no sense to ME; however, it's not my right to tell people what to believe.

Religion, and "God", IMHO, was/is based on control and fear. Humans are afraid of the unknown, thus, they create a "God", and "heaven".

I don't even have to explain control. Look at the world today.

Although there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of God, there is definitely enough circumstantial evidence to make a rational decision. In the past decade, several significant scientific findings have led researchers to conclude the universe was created, not accidentally formed. Until recently, the big bang theory held that all creation was formed from an initial explosion, hurtling matter to the four corners of the universe, coalescing over time into stars, planets and moons. This however, has changed within the past five years, where new evidence supports the theory of intelligent intervention. Previous theories on creationism have always fallen short in the scientific community, but new discoveries about the expansion of the universe appear to support such beliefs. Einstein theorized the universe was set in size, and could not change. Others believed it was collapsing, due to the original hypothesis of the big bang…in which the greater the distance between celestial bodies in motion, the greater the gravitational constant. In other words, the universe should be collapsing unto itself. However, recent data garnered from the Hubble Space paperweight, have proven the universe is not collapsing, but expanding, which disproves the big bang theory. The only option left is the universe was created simultaneous and put into motion, which could support intelligent design.

Although not as scientific as astrophysics, the chaos theory has shown the existence of intelligence behind the chaos of life. In the September 2000 issue of Scientific America, MIT mathematicians had come to the conclusion the universe was no more random than bad weather, they concluded that someone/something had created life. No other rational explanation could be found to support the staggering evidence of non randomness.

In the end, it’s a personal choice. As one close friend said years ago, “it’s better to spend your whole life believing in God and find out when you die, that he doesn’t exist, then not to have believed and find out he does!”

I will throw in one of my mostly deeply held religious beliefs.

God is more verb than noun.

We are limited by the constructs of human language so we tend

to think of God as a this or an it, by default.

God is love in action and eternal. Equally verb and noun.

(I guess I am thinking about my old hero Fergy, gets me

in a theological mood.)

Although there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of God, there is definitely enough circumstantial evidence to make a rational decision.  In the past decade, several significant scientific findings have led researchers to conclude the universe was created, not accidentally formed.  Until recently, the big bang theory held that all creation was formed from an initial explosion, hurtling matter to the four corners of the universe, coalescing over time into stars, planets and moons.  This however, has changed within the past five years, where new evidence supports the theory of intelligent intervention.  Previous theories on creationism have always fallen short in the scientific community, but new discoveries about the expansion of the universe appear to support such beliefs.  Einstein theorized the universe was set in size, and could not change.  Others believed it was collapsing, due to the original hypothesis of the big bang…in which the greater the distance between celestial bodies in motion, the greater the gravitational constant.  In other words, the universe should be collapsing unto itself.  However, recent data garnered from the Hubble Space paperweight, have proven the universe is not collapsing, but expanding, which disproves the big bang theory.  The only option left is the universe was created simultaneous and put into motion, which could support intelligent design.

328929[/snapback]

This is a greviously uninformed bunch of statements. The nature of Big Bang theory is almost completely unlike what you've described. Scientific American had a good article some months ago that describes the theory and many of the common misconceptions about it, if you want to look for it.

Just come out and say if the President was different you would change your views.  Its so evident after reading that comment.  Sad.

329006[/snapback]

:D;);)

I was referring to the mideast, where Muslim leaders use that religion to control the people over there.

I will throw in one of my mostly deeply held religious beliefs.

God is more verb than noun.

We are limited by the constructs of human language so we tend

to think of God as a this or an it, by default.

God is love in action and eternal. Equally verb and noun.

(I guess I am thinking about my old hero Fergy, gets me

in a theological mood.)

329066[/snapback]

Interesting approach...

I'm an atheist. The idea of "God" makes no sense to ME; however, it's not my right to tell people what to believe.

Religion, and "God", IMHO, was/is based on control and fear. Humans are afraid of the unknown, thus, they create a "God", and "heaven".

328923[/snapback]

I agree. Must people need to feel like they are working toward something. Therefore religion offers this "need" to a lot of people.

Wow, I'm an Associate Pastor (or Youth Pastor) -- does that make me Satan's first minion? 

I got to be with my grandfather on New Year's Eve 03 when he went to be with God.  I loved my grandfather very much, and I was still excited for him to be with Jesus.  Did I cry?  Oh yeah.  It hurt like crazy, but he loved Jesus, and I know that Jesus took him home.  I WILL see him again someday.  Sorry, but I don't go for the politically correct, every religion gets you there stuff.  Jesus is the only way, He is the only life, He is the only Truth.

I say those things not to be inflammatory, but to respond to the subject of belief and how it helps people in times of difficulty.

I also agree Tiger, that I have done so many funerals, and there is far less despair during a service for a Christian.  Oftentimes, the extreme grief is shown by a non-Christian relative who doesn't understand the hope (hope in a biblical sense is an expression of sure-ness of belief) of life with Christ.

325386[/snapback]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is not about being politically correct. The Bible and Jesus are the truth and the only way to our father in heaven. Put your faith in Jesus and he will take your mind and your body to places that you never dreamed of. I have recently come to faith in a very strong way and the fire that burns inside me because of it is AMAZING. People that are unbelievers just have NO clue of how it feels to be one with Christ. I used to hear people tell me all the time that following Jesus is the most exalerating thing in life. At the time I was a partier and thought......yeah okay whatever. How is staying home and not going to bars fun. Well I changed my tune a couple years past and looking back. The lord has done great things in my life.

328923[/snapback]

Thats your opinon. I have been on both sides of the fence and let me tell you there is less fear in the world when you believe in Christ. I was never afraid when I didnt believe but I did things my own way instead of trusting Jesus. The things that he has done in my life are amazing.

Jesus didnt come to this earth to lie to us. He came to save us. Jesus did infact roam this earth. It is fact. So to say there is no god than your calling Jesus a liar. He was not a liar and I pray for all of you that somebody you will be saved because as another poster posted. Its better to believe and live with God and die and find out that everything you practiced was the truth than to die an unbeliever and find out that there is a god and then have to deal with his wrath.

This is a greviously uninformed bunch of statements.  The nature of Big Bang theory is almost completely unlike what you've described.  Scientific American had a good article some months ago that describes the theory and many of the common misconceptions about it, if you want to look for it.

329081[/snapback]

Interestingly, the theory was originally proposed by a French Jesuit named Georges Lemaître. Some argue that part of the resistence to this theory came because of the kind of person who proposed it.

The whole transition from static theory to Big Bang theory kind of shows that while science may eventually accept the best working theory, scientists are just as stubborn as anyone else and are relunctant to let go of the theory that they believed in. Many brilliant scientists would not accept the theory by the time they died despite its overwhelming scientific support.

Either way, the Big Bang theory at worst moves back to the goal posts when it comes to God. You could say what created the Big Bang and have it countered by then what created God, but at least with God you can get in to metaphysical questions. Any scientific theory cannot do that.

Science deals with the HOW of the world. Religion and philosophy deal with the WHY. The spheres can be seperate on a broad level.

328923[/snapback]

That's a rather superficial, although not unusual, explanation for religion and the idea of God. If you start out with the assumption that there is no God, then it's predictable to try to explain the existence of religion as some sort of psychological side effect. It's only natural to protect your ego as an athiest by putting faith into a theory that puts down the religious as victims of their own fear and weakness. That way, you can consoul yourself with the belief that you are stronger and more intelligent than those who disagree with you.

IMHO, it's only human nature to filter belief into a way that bolsters one's self-esteem and removes the possible threat that something might be more intelligent. Atheism is just a natual by-product of this line of thinking.

Not suggesting u need a higher power to cope, just curious.  Because I'm doing a hypothetical research proposal, and my theory is that "Believing" would help people to cope, and accelerate the grieving process.

325186[/snapback]

I think that is really denial in disguise. You don't have to deal with the reality and finality of death becuase the person isn't really gone, they have just moved on. You'll see them again in heaven sooner or later. You see, death isn't final afterall and as such, it is not to be feared.

I think we would have a lot fewer suicides and suicide bombers if there were no belief in any kind of after life. I think we would also take the idea of saving lives even more seriously than we do.

I think we would have a lot fewer suicides and suicide bombers if there were no belief in any kind of after life.  I think we would also take the idea of saving lives even more seriously than we do.

329269[/snapback]

I guess that's why there are all those religious fanactics who protest abortion, the death penalty and assisted suicide...