What prompted the change to our offense, and other questions?

Virgil

On 11/11/2021 at 2:18 PM, GunnerBill said:

One area where Sanders has been bad (actually worse than bad) is blocking on the outside. The only wide receiver we have among our starters who can block is Diggs. 

I think this is probably right, but to really confirm it we'd have to have a RB who can actually get outside.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, GunnerBill said:

One area where Sanders has been bad (actually worse than bad) is blocking on the outside. The only wide receiver we have among our starters who can block is Diggs. 

Well, I guess the starters are technically, Diggs and Sanders, so that's practically defined once you ding Sanders, yes?

Davis is probably the best blocker of the WR who have started the last 2 seasons.  'lil Dirty is a fine blocker for his size.

Sanders started out the season laying down some good licks in the blocking department but of recent games - nope.  I personally think he's hurting and needs to be on a snap count.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My conclusion is that far from being too "gimmicky" and RPO-centric on rush attempts, we have a gigantic "tell".  Shotgun: play the pass and contain Josh Allen.  Under center: Key on the run.

That would definitely seem to follow from your analysis - way too predictable.

By the way, a lot of what you just did is exactly what the much disparaged analytics guy-in-the-khaki-pants types do. I certainly hope they've recognized these trends too. If not, I hope they read TSW. And that the coaches listen.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I guess the starters are technically, Diggs and Sanders, so that's practically defined once you ding Sanders, yes?

Davis is probably the best blocker of the WR who have started the last 2 seasons.  'lil Dirty is a fine blocker for his size.

Sanders started out the season laying down some good licks in the blocking department but of recent games - nope.  I personally think he's hurting and needs to be on a snap count.

Really want Davis to have lots more snaps. Being a good blocker helps lots as well.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Really want Davis to have lots more snaps. Being a good blocker helps lots as well.

Looking at the snap counts and play of late, one of my conclusions was that we should dial back on Sanders (and possibly Beasley, at least until his ribs heal) and find more snaps for Davis and McKenzie.  On the premise of "nothing is given, everything is earned", he simply hasn't been coming through the last couple weeks.  5 of 8 against Tenn, 0 for 4 against Miami, and 4 for 8 against Jax with a couple times he was open and Allen didn't try him, begging why?  Yes, some are overthrows but some are "were you really where he expected you to be, when he expected it?" or "c'mon man, catch that" misses. 

Plus he's whiffed blocks.  Less praise in the pressers and more delivery on the field, please, Sanders, and earn your 84% of the snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I meant of Diggs, Sanders and Beas. 

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I meant of Diggs, Sanders and Beas. 

Yeah, I can't remember seeing Beas block and thinking Whoa, Bam!  Doesn't mean he can't, or won't block, just means anything I've seen isn't impressed on my memory.

But need for better blocking is another reason to shift some snaps to Davis. 

I dunno about "lots more" as was said above, he's getting 36% (25-44% after week 1).  I guess I'd like to see him shift up about 5-10 snaps, but not running more 4 WR, just nibble a few from Sanders

• Like (+1) 1

This is what made Belichick so damn good. He made adjustments constantly. Not after a season or a game or even a half. Sometimes it came after a drive. I think teams had plenty of tape from late last year to start using this cover2 shell. They already had the data that our OL & running game were weak. KC used a version of the shell last year and other teams are jumping onboard. And it's working. Until we upgrade the OL this will continue to be our challenge this year.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.