Matthews & Henry not at mini-camp.

PIZ

Bills | Matthews not at Minicamp - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:43:22 -0700

The Associated Press reports Buffalo Bills QB Shane Matthews was not present Friday, April 29 when the team began its mandatory three-day minicamp. At this point, no reason has been given for his absence. He and RB Travis Henry were the only players absent.

Bills | Henry Skips Minicamp - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:37:53 -0700

The Associated Press reports, as expected, Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry was a no-show on Friday, April 29 as the team started a mandatory three-day minicamp. As previously reported, Henry has requested a trade but so far the Bills have been unable to satisfy his demands.

Does the fines begin now, since this is mandatory?

Or was he excused? If the Bills excused him then he should not be fined, but indications are from TD the other day was Travis wasn't excused and he was expected at all team functions.

Just when you think that TH can't get dumber, he gets dumber. Why in the world did he not show up. He is ruining his value as a player... nobody will want him as a back up, let alone an every down back.

I wonder what Travis Henry got on his Wonderlick.

I have to admit I frigging really miss Empire this weekend.

323563[/snapback]

As the clock hit 10:30 last night(Empire Sports Report time slot) and I was channel surfing, I got pissed about Empire not being around anymore. Fug you Rigas. See how you like jail come June 1st.

Just when you think that TH can't get dumber, he gets dumber.  Why in the world did he not show up.  He is ruining his value as a player... nobody will want him as a back up, let alone an every down back.

I wonder what Travis Henry got on his Wonderlick.

323761[/snapback]

I'm not sure why this is a surprise. If TH shows up as a Buffalo Bill ever again(and that's a big IF), it won't be until the week prior to the start of the season.

I say TD should stick Henry on IR or the PUP list for the season (so he doesn't take up a roster spot), eat the million his contract costs, and then Henry can see how he fares in free agency next year with a reputation as a whiny crybaby who's dumb as a post, can't block to save his life, and hasn't played a down of football in more than a year.

I say TD should stick Henry on IR or the PUP list for the season (so he doesn't take up a roster spot), eat the million his contract costs, and then Henry can see how he fares in free agency next year with a reputation as a whiny crybaby who's dumb as a post, can't block to save his life, and hasn't played a down of football in more than a year.

323789[/snapback]

Deja vu all over again. 0:)

Does the fines begin now, since  this is mandatory? 

Or was he excused?  If the Bills excused him then he should not be fined, but indications are from TD the other day was Travis wasn't excused and he was expected at all team functions.

323561[/snapback]

I believe these mini-camps are "voluntary" meaning that everyone is expected to show up but players are not required to do so or subject to fine if they do not.

Last year Mike Williams got "excused" absences from all the pre-season camps due to the death of the grandmother who raised him. However, he hurt himself and the team in terms of building chemistry and when he showed up for the mandatory pre-season workouts he was out of shape and caught hell for missing the mini-camps and the sponsored team workouts (which are voluntary by both rule and practice).

Last year Henry also skipped the first minicamps and told the press that he could get as good or better workouts at home and poohed-poohed the need to build chemistry. A delegation of teammates got on the phone with him and got him to change his decision.

In the worse case, it seems fairly likely that our #2 RB will be able to catch-up if he were to rejoin the Bills. If he is traded then actually best he is not around anyway.

He is still saying he will never be a Bill again and TD is still saying we are happy to trade him for appropriate value but would love to have him back if no trade happens (meanwhile he is doing some serious browing for a #2 RB with Garrison Hearst coming into town and A-Train just leaving but saying all the right things.

Henry's actiond sre sctually quite fine in helping us make a trade and will only make it hard if Henry decides to crawl across glass abd okay for the Bills,

If he Bills do decide to keep Henry he has few reasonable options other than to suck it up and play hard for the team in order to secure a good FA contract.

The Associated Press reports Buffalo Bills QB Shane Matthews was not present Friday, April 29 when the team began its mandatory three-day minicamp. At this point, no reason has been given for his absence. He and RB Travis Henry were the only players absent.

323836[/snapback]

0:);):lol:

323836[/snapback]

Wow....no need to shout, when a linky will do: 0:)

http://www.nflpa.org/Media/main.asp?subPag...+Complete#art36

I like Woodbury's ability to play WR and Special Teams as well as #3 QB.

323860[/snapback]

#3 QBs are usually inactive. It opens a spot on the gameday roster for a real wr/st player. There's no reason to have a #3 QB who can play on special teams.

FFS is an excellant writer and I truely enjoy his posts and analysis.  However his reading skills leave a little to be desired.

323852[/snapback]

Thanks for the info and correction actually. Getting accurate info and corrections is one of the things I value most about TSW.

The question I actually have is that under the CBA, teams are allowed up to three mini-camps ONE of them being mandtory and two being voluntary (if you have a new coach TWO can be mandatory).

The quesion which AP seems to have answered but did not expound upon is whether the Bills have designated this camp as mandatory or voluntary.

Teams vary in whether they place the mandatory designation on the first camp after the draft or a later camp depending upon their HC's preferences.

It can make a lot of sense to make the first camp mandatory as you get the boys back to work right away and get the rookies involved in the full team right away. On the other hand, sp,e HCs prefer to make the last camp before pre-season mandatory and schedule it close to the summer so players report in and hang around rather than fly in and out for pre-season.

Last year, weven thouh MM had two mandatory camps he could use, I think his first camp was "voluntary" and that may have been the one Travis skipped.

I certainly was unsure and thus not accurate about the Bills designation of which mincamp is mandatory (my wife will certainly tell you its not the first time for me to be wrong about something), but I'm interested in what MMs thinking is about his order of designating camps mandatory. AP probably got it right that he has designated this camp mandatory, but since they did not expound on the issue I hope they didn't make a false assumption (it probably would not be their first error either).