Deep dive into Bills offense

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, wjag said:

My take aways from this article.  It explained a lot what my mind did not catch and I even slowed down every play of the game for both sides to watch the plays unfold.

1.)  I was wondering what happened to Beasley in this game.  The idea that he provides a free release for Sanders was great analysis.  So he was a decoy.

2.) I commented on this board the last two weeks that they were setting the stage for KC.  But I incorrectly assumed it was to run the ball. So they were tuning up the running game in my mind.  The offense just seemed so plain and Allen so not-Allen like (from last year).    When in fact, they ran an almost boring offense that got disguised by the big points they were scoring.  Nothing on tape for KC to see.

3.) I was beginning to think that the Allen to Diggs magic of last year was over.  Thinking back to what Diggs said after the WTF Game (where Beasley was focal) that he would be going off the next week (Texans) you get the distinct impression that teams are never going to know who is the focal point of the game plan anymore.  It could be Knox or Diggs or Davis or Sanders.  Good luck figuring it out.  And you get the sense the players accept this advanced game planning where it's my turn, it's not my turn.

4.) Lastly I was wondering where last year's razzle dazzle was.  Things like fake punts, half back options, OL pass TDs.  I get the feeling the play book will slowly open up and we will see more and more added.

Re: Beasley, Albert Breer in his SI MAQB piece said that there was no one in the locker room who was happier than him. Beasley gets it. https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/11/maqb-week-5-bills-class-of-afc

35 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Re: Beasley, Albert Breer in his SI MAQB piece said that there was no one in the locker room who was happier than him. Beasley gets it. https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/10/11/maqb-week-5-bills-class-of-afc

Thanks..  I've been musing what we are also seeing is the long-game playing out.  McBeane know it's 18 weeks, 17 games and then the playoffs start.  No one knows yet what the impact of that 17th regular season game will be.  But we all know that the Bills were broken at WR during the AFCCG and gassed on the DL.  My thinking is you are going to see more and more substitutions over the course of the season.  Jackson for Wallace, Klein for Milano, Smith for Edmunds, heavy DL rotation, Kumerow and Mckenzie in at WR, etc.  You already see it at RB.  20 gets a series then 26 gets a series then 20 gets a series.  I'm betting the Bills are betting that having the whole roster available, seasoned and ready to roll will pay dividends in weeks 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.  Bills might have the best, deepest roster starting to PS of any NFL team.  They also might be the only team that has two QB1s on it.  I'd actually like to see them feather in some Mitch Trubisky.  Teams wouldn't know what to do if MT was suddenly inserted into the game.  Get everyone some reps.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think this is the point that so many analysts and fans don’t get.  It’s a long season, and in 2021 it’s the longest season ever.    You need to have guys healthy and rested come playoff time. How do you do that?  Limit snaps during the season.  Draw up game specific plans to give players rest and highlight the strengths of other players.  We have a deep enough roster, that we should be able to do this and still win games.  So they seem to be doing it.  Sure the individual stats may suffer, but the team’s goal is hopefully achieved. 

7 minutes ago, wjag said:

Thanks..  I've been musing what we are also seeing is the long-game playing out.  McBeane know it's 18 weeks, 17 games and then the playoffs start.  No one knows yet what the impact of that 17th regular season game will be.  But we all know that the Bills were broken at WR during the AFCCG and gassed on the DL.  My thinking is you are going to see more and more substitutions over the course of the season.  Jackson for Wallace, Klein for Milano, Smith for Edmunds, heavy DL rotation, Kumerow and Mckenzie in at WR, etc.  You already see it at RB.  20 gets a series then 26 gets a series then 20 gets a series.  I'm betting the Bills are betting that having the whole roster available, seasoned and ready to roll will pay dividends in weeks 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.  Bills might have the best, deepest roster starting to PS of any NFL team.  They also might be the only team that has two QB1s on it.  I'd actually like to see them feather in some Mitch Trubisky.  Teams wouldn't know what to do if MT was suddenly inserted into the game.  Get everyone some reps.  

Tying threads together, I'd just like to point out that this analysis by Cosell (who knows something) seems to contradict this guy's assessment about our "simple" or "simplified" offense and running completely different plays vs. the Chiefs.

He shows the same play being run from a different personnel set (actually an empty set) vs. the Chiefs as was run vs. WFT.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tying threads together, I'd just like to point out that this analysis by Cosell (who knows something) seems to contradict this guy's assessment about our "simple" or "simplified" offense and running completely different plays vs. the Chiefs.

He shows the same play being run from a different personnel set (actually an empty set) vs. the Chiefs as was run vs. WFT.

I believe Cover 1 said this as well. He asserted that the analyst had not watched enough bills film.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.