Looking to the future: What positions are this teams weaknesses?

Watkins101

Enjoy the team this year. FA is cut throat. The default strategy is keep the QB, and maybe two players on defense, and sell everyone. Winning makes everyone pay a higher price than people are worth. Trying to max out everyone is bush league. And before you do that, try to anticipate where the league is going. In 2009, when the league was James Harrison and Ed Reed, who saw the reed option? Those teams had great success. What's next? 7' tall d-linemen playing in two point stances? A QB who can quick kick and line drive a drop kick from 80 yards out?

17 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Guard/Center, TE2, CB2.

^this, and almost in order.

Depending on how the first round BPA falls until it’s our turn, in order of need:

1. IOL/C - OL has to be first, protect Josh and upgrading OL raises the floor of every other offensive position

2. DB - love Levi, and even if we can keep him at a comfortable price DB is still this high on need. Especially if we can get a 1/2nd round value starter on a cheap rookie contract for the next few years, can’t hurt our secondary or keep Tre fresh. Would lend to a possible rotation scheme in the secondary too to keep guys fresh. 

3. S - love what I’m seeing from Johnson and Neal, but having another young guy here would be great.

4. TE - if Knox continues to perform, this falls lower down the board. But wouldn’t hurt to have two solid pass catching TE options should we, god forbid, lose a WR to injuries or what have you in the future.

2 hours ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Nicely done and if you're at all like me, isn't it pretty weird not having an incredibly obvious hole to fill on the roster?  After so many years of just awful rosters, this is a refreshing change.

I like your list but I might put DL in 5th place just because Addison is likely gone and Jerry isn't getting any younger.  I definitely think we will draft at least a couple offensive linemen for depth or to replace a current starter.

I also definitely think we will go for a WR, maybe even early but if it were me, my #2 WR is someone already on the team - re-sign Sanders.  I know he's not going to be around for a decade but he just seems like one of those guys that can stick around for a long time and be effective like Rice (not comparing him to Rice, just how long I think he can play) or Darrell Green.

Sanders could be for us what James Lofton was for us in the 90's. Would not be a bad move to keep him around.

• Agree 1

I would have no problems at all spending our first two picks on interior offensive linemen in the upcoming draft, if there are two interior o-linemen worthy of picks that high.

I presume we'll be picking toward the end of the 1st round, which is a sweet spot for either trading down into the early 2nd or for picking the best IOL on the board. Get a center as heir apparent to Morse and a guard. 

Protecting Josh Allen is priority #1, 2, and 3. Our tackle spots look secure, and I like Morse, but we need better interior play overall and some insurance in case Morse starts to decline.

Corner is another great choice, but Levi Wallace has really stepped up this year, and I know they still like Dane Jackson. Taron Johnson was also just signed to an extension. Still, you can never have too many corners, so taking one high would be fine with me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.