pro football talk on henry (again)

www.profootballtalk.com

BILLS STUCK WITH HENRY?

We're picking up increased indications in the wake of the Bills' failure to trade running back Travis Henry during the draft that, in the end, they simply won't be able to unload him for anything of value.

Per one league source, the Bills were "calling everybody" last Friday in the hopes of working out a trade. G.M. Tom Donahoe wanted only a third-round pick, but no one would do it.

Part of the problem is that Henry has only one year left on his contract and he has, as the source said, "a LOT of issues."

So given the circumstances, teams weren't -- and aren't -- willing to give up anything for the former second-round draft pick, especially since there has been a glut of running backs available.

"There are still good [backs] on the street, and you can get [shaun] Alexander if you want," the source said. Plus, the source added, there were plenty of good backs that went undrafted, such as Walter Reyes, TA McClendon, and Kay-Jay Harris.

"In reality it was a bad year to try and get value for a veteran running back," the source said. "This draft class was the best running back class in years. If you wanted or needed one, you drafted him."

And that's precisely what the Cardinals (J.J. Arrington), Bears (Cedric Benson), Dolphins (Ronnie Brown), Bucs (Cadillac Williams), 49ers (Frank Gore), and others did.

The Bills risk reducing their leverage even further by flirting with former Bears running back Anthony Thomas, who visited Buffalo on Thursday. If they should sign Thomas, the ultimate fate of Henry would seem to be an outright release.

Then again, maybe the Bills are merely trying to gobble up one of the biggest remaining alternatives to Henry, in the event that a team like the Browns eventually decides to call the bluff of Reuben Droughns by adding a viable option at the No. 1 tailback position. If, after all, the A-Train ain't available, Cleveland will need to send something to Buffalo for Henry.

Barring such a situation, however, we don't see the Bills being able to get rid of Henry for anything of value. In the end, Donahoe risks disrupting the locker room chemistry by keeping around a guy who clearly doesn't want to be there, simply in order to avoid a situation in which Donahoe must swallow his pride.

The problem with Florio, especially over the past year, is that he somehow thinks he's qualified to be an NFL analyst, rather than just a news aggregator.

His site draws eyeballs—first and foremost—because it's a fast, easy way to see NFL news from other cities. His growing insistence on putting his own spin on the news is growing intolerable.

I still look at PFT, but try to ignore any “commentary” the guy writes. An option I’m increasingly using is the “ESPN Local” feature, which collects newspaper stories from every NFL city and skips the “insights” provided by Mikey.

The problem with Florio, especially over the past year, is that he somehow thinks he's qualified to be an NFL analyst, rather than just a news aggregator. 

His site draws eyeballs—first and foremost—because it's a fast, easy way to see NFL news from other cities.  His growing insistence on putting his own spin on the news is growing intolerable.

I still look at PFT, but try to ignore any “commentary” the guy writes.  An option I’m increasingly using is the “ESPN Local” feature, which collects newspaper stories from every NFL city and skips the “insights” provided by Mikey.

323343[/snapback]

A little extra clicking perhaps but this lists all the teams and all the local papers that cover them and the link goes right to the football parts.

http://nflfreaks.com/Fantasy_Football_Reso...apers/index.htm

His site draws eyeballs—first and foremost—because it's a fast, easy way to see NFL news from other cities.  His growing insistence on putting his own spin on the news is growing intolerable.

I still look at PFT, but try to ignore any “commentary” the guy writes.  An option I’m increasingly using is the “ESPN Local” feature, which collects newspaper stories from every NFL city and skips the “insights” provided by Mikey.

323343[/snapback]

fair enough, and i don't disagree. however, in this particular instance, what he's saying strikes me as plausible.

323343[/snapback]

I agree. It's like giving you a "Saturday Night Live" version of football news -- only its like the current cast of SNL = not funny.

"You can still get Shaun Alexander if you want."  Yeah, if you want another malcontent who will demand to be paid AT LEAST double what Travis Henry will.

Florio's a blowhard.

323389[/snapback]

Double? I think with the franchise tag alone that ALexander is three times more expensive than TH. .... A simple solution would be to send TH to Seattle and then we can sit back and laugh while the remaining hairs on Holmgren;s head fall out as he tries to get one of them into camp. Seriously though, the Seahawks might be a team that should look into Henry. He'd be cheaper than paying Alexander

Double? I think with the franchise tag alone that ALexander is three times more expensive than TH. .... A simple solution would be to send TH to Seattle and then we can sit back and laugh while the remaining hairs on Holmgren;s head fall out as he tries to get one of them into camp. Seriously though, the Seahawks might be a team that should look into Henry. He'd be cheaper than paying Alexander

323450[/snapback]

Henry wants Jordan money 4 years 24 million with a 7 million bonus. (6 Million per)

Alexander is looking for 6 years 34 million with 10-11 million bonus. Alexander is cheaper per year in the long run then either of those two. (5.7 ??? million per)

How in the world does Henry think that he is more valuable than Shaun Alexander.  He's not even in the same league.  Henry should be content, and hope for 3 million a year.  He won't get anymore than that.

323546[/snapback]

Just telling you what he and his agent said when he was working with Arizona during the trade. Said he expected to make what Jordan had just signed for including the bonus.

For the third consecutive article, Florio contradicts himself.

How one day can he write that Donahoe was hardballing Arizona because he had all these great offers in hand, and the next minute Donahoe is calling every team in the league desperate to unload Henry?

How one day can he write that Donahoe was hardballing Arizona because he had all these great offers in hand, and the next minute Donahoe is calling every team in the league desperate to unload Henry?

323574[/snapback]

Ah, Florio's genius stikes again!

323574[/snapback]

Snippets of truth. It's kind of like reading the Davinci Code. 0:)

Florio is ALWAYS more interested in covering his own ass then he is about posting the truth. He made his little rumor up before the draft that Travis would go to Philly for a 3rd rounder, based totally on indications from the national media, and it blew up in his face. Now, to cover himself up, he's saying that Donahoe was being greedy and the Bills will have to be stuck with Travis.

I always laugh when someone uses Florio as a source...you might as well start quoting Rudy as a source, they have the same level of credibility.

Florio is ALWAYS more interested in covering his own ass then he is about posting the truth.  He made his little rumor up before the draft that Travis would go to Philly for a 3rd rounder, based totally on indications from the national media, and it blew up in his face.  Now, to cover himself up, he's saying that Donahoe was being greedy and the Bills will have to be stuck with Travis.

I always laugh when someone uses Florio as a source...you might as well start quoting Rudy as a source, they have the same level of credibility.

323606[/snapback]

What's wrong with Rudy? He spices things up... 0:)