Who gets cut

Who will be cut at WR  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be cut at WR

• Josh Reed
    • Sam Aiken
    • Jonathan Smith
    • More than one of these

Can someone explain the whole Aiken thing to me ? I remember him catching 1 flea flicker last year for about 63 yards. Outside of that, he's done absolutely nothing the last couple of years. When people say they like him, I always chuckle. :P

I said Josh Reed in part because he has a big salary. His salary is manageable but still some what hefty. Also I do not think he has much ability as far as punt returns and kick off returns. I may be wrong on this and if I am simply correct me. Jonathan or Fast Freddie Smith has good punt return ability and that is why I see him on the team and yes I know Roscoe Parrish may fill this role. As for Aiken he has been arround 1 few year than Josh Reed and was drafted two rounds below Reed so I grant him more slack, however if he does not start to turn the corner this year he could also be gone. Superhero this is not an easy question.

i think it comes down to the guy that has the highest cap value.

i don't know who that is...but i am guessing Reed.

regardless...i think this is Moulds last year with the team.

does anyone have the cap ramifications of cutting or keeping Moulds after this season?

Can someone explain the whole Aiken thing to me ? I remember him catching 1 flea flicker last year for about 63 yards. Outside of that, he's done absolutely nothing the last couple of years. When people say they like him, I always chuckle.  :P

321863[/snapback]

That play is easier to remember than anything Josh Reed has done to date and Aiken has the size to be a quality NFL receiver, not to mention most pre draft publications had him going higher than we got him so there's hope he'll prove to be a steal. As recall TSN compared him to Rod Gardner, which is pretty fair since Rod looks to be a career #3 WR which isn't a bad thing.

Fast Freddy is gone. If you take away that Punt Return for touchdown against New England... I can't think of a single good thing he did for the Bills. Isn't Roscoe a quicker and faster form of Fast Freddie?

I see Freddie gone, and TD keeping Reed for one more chance... and if he doesn't prove he's worth it... he's gone too.

I honestly do not know.

Think it will come down to who blocks the best.

Any wallers that go to a lot games would have a better perspective on this than me. Sometime hard to see them on TV on a running play

Feedback would be appreciated

Fast Freddy is gone.  If you take away that Punt Return for touchdown against New England... I can't think of a single good thing he did for the Bills.  Isn't Roscoe a quicker and faster form of Fast Freddie?

I see Freddie gone, and TD keeping Reed for one more chance... and if he doesn't prove he's worth it... he's gone too.

322306[/snapback]

Smith also almost returned a punt for a TD against the Rams. In terms of limited production, it might be because he spent the first 8 weeks on our practice squad.

Smith average punt return avg for his career at GA Tech was 12.2 vs Parrish's 12.7 at Miami despite Parrish having better "clock numbers". Not to mention Smith has better size and a bit more accomplished as a WR.

Can someone explain the whole Aiken thing to me ? I remember him catching 1 flea flicker last year for about 63 yards. Outside of that, he's done absolutely nothing the last couple of years. When people say they like him, I always chuckle.  :angry:

321863[/snapback]

I agree. I hear/read this kind of stuff all of the time. I have nothing against Aiken (or Jonathan Smith for that matter) but they have played so little, how can we, as fans draw any conclusions? We just have to take Mularkey and company at their word when they talk about how good he is.

If the cuts are based on production, Aiken gets cut before Smith. Neither has done much, but Smith had one punt return for a touchdown in that Sunday night debacle against the Patriots. Aiken was thrown to, maybe 5 times all year...with all the trouble Reed was having last year, it doesn't bode well for either that they couldn't rise to the challange, and distinguish themselves as being better than Reed.

All that said, I still think some are rushing to judgement a bit on Reed. Has he been disappointing? Yes! But, he had some extenuating circumstances his three years in Buffalo. In year one, he was pretty decent, but hit the rookie wall. No reason to panic. In year two, he essentially changed position, and proved that he wasn't a reliable #2 reciever. This past season, he was switched again, in a new offense, and was injured a significant part of the season. I am not saying that he might still prove to be the second coming of Andre Reed, but I still think he could develop into a competant posession receiver. I saw him play a bit in college, and I know that he has better hands than he showed this past season. I also know, he can take a hit, and hold on to the ball. It just seems like he is maybe trying a bit too hard at times. Maybe, year four, he will finally come full circle. Maybe not....

Believe it or not Sam aiken actually caught 11 passes last year including four in the final game.

Reed had 16 last year. and is costing a lot more. Frankly, i think TD will find a way to keep all three. But Reed is my bet if it came down to cutting a player

I said Josh Reed in part because he has a big salary. His salary is manageable but still some what hefty. Also I do not think he has much ability as far as punt returns and kick off returns. I may be wrong on this and if I am simply correct me. Jonathan or Fast Freddie Smith has good punt return ability and that is why I see him on the team and yes I know Roscoe Parrish may fill this role. As for Aiken he has been arround 1 few year than Josh Reed and was drafted two rounds below Reed so I grant him more slack, however if he does not start to turn the corner this year he could also be gone.  Superhero this is not an easy question.

321869[/snapback]

Salary is actually a reason for keeping Josh Reed.

Reed has a salary of $450,000 and a cap hit of $850,000 as $400,000 is amortized bonus which will be paid to him if we get use out of him or count against us as deadspace if we cut him.

Aiken has a salary of $380,000 and a cap hit of 471,000 as $91,000 is amortized bonus already paid to him which becomes deadspace if he is cut.

Johnathan Smith gets the rookie minimum of $305,000 with no amortized bonuses.

Quite frankly I think the Bills keep all three as we have kept 6 WRs before with one, Antonio Brown being a pure kick returner on the roster as a WR. To me, Moulds and Evans are the obvious 1 and 2 while Parrish makes the squad as a second round pick.

Aiken and Reed will duel for #3 with Parrish getting a look see but probably losing out to the best performing vet.

Reed has actually looked very good in camp the last two years but sucked his second regular season and lost the third regular season to injury. Though it is no gurantee that he will produce in regular season I suspect he will look good in training camp again.

Aiken clearly has the physical tools to be the number 3 but has yet to produce consistently in his brief carreer. He would need an extraordinarily good effort and for him to step up his game a notch to beat out Reed unless Reed plays as badly in pre-season as he has in his second regular season or when he was hurt. However I suspect Aiken will show enough not to get cut.

Smith is an interesting case, Parrish makes him expendable as the #6 WR. However, he did get a TD on a PR and made a couple of nice returns which will earn him a serious look. After the desert of the Antonio Brown return days the Bills are loaded at this position.

However, I think the key to the Smith situation is probably the future. Clements is our #1 PR guy, but I think the Bills would love to only have him risk injury as a CB if they have a good answer at PR. Smith provides that and it is a reason for keeping him. Further, Clements may walk as an FA next year so developing Smith on PR is a good move.

Parrish is the wildcard because his primary contribution to the Bills this year is probably as a retiurn guy rather than as a WR. If he shows early he can field without danger of a fumble the Smith may be a goner though the Bills will prefer to trade rather than release him.

As far as the cap goes, there really is only a marginal savings for cutting Reed as he has already been paid the money which is his cap hit. The finances will not save his job i he sucks, but since most things salary wise are equal between these players in terms of salary, I doubt the Bills will want the 400K in wasted deadspace if the play quality is fairly equal.

I think for now all three may be keepers.