LAMP: Finally got a chance to mix science with football [studies of stadium attendence impact on Covid-19]

Rubes

As part of my job, I am occasionally asked by scientific journals to review research papers that are sent to them to check the science and make sure they meet an appropriate level of rigor to warrant publishing in the journal. If I do a good job, and the journal ultimately decides to publish the paper, they will on rare occasions ask me to write an editorial commentary to accompany the paper when it is published.

Earlier this year, I was asked by a good journal to review a paper that looked at the impact of having fans at stadiums for NFL and NCAA football games in the fall of 2020 on the rates of COVID-19 in the surrounding communities, to see if in-person attendance was associated with local COVID-19 outbreaks. (Their results showed that it was not. You can read the research paper here if you want.)

After I submitted my review, they asked me to write an accompanying commentary, so I was like, "Hell yeah!" When would I ever get another opportunity to write an article about science and football, two of my favorite things? And of course, if I was going to do this, you'd better damn well know that I'm going to find a way to slip in a reference to the Buffalo Bills. Damn straight I would.

So of course I did. Apparently there was a group that performed an independent but unpublished study of the impact of attendance at the two Bills playoff games on COVID-19 in the Buffalo community and found no effect (one link to the story is here), so I gave a nod to the Bills by slipping in a reference to that study (despite not being able to actually see the study or know how rigorously it was done. I mean, ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

So the commentary was just published last week. Here's the link to it if you have any interest. An article about science and football with a Buffalo Bills reference slipped in. One of my proudest accomplishments. LAMP!

Just remember: I didn't have anything to do with the study itself, I just wrote an editorial about it. But if you have any questions about it feel free to ask. And please try not to go off the rails with the COVID stuff.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 29
  • Thank you (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Rubes said:

As part of my job, I am occasionally asked by scientific journals to review research papers that are sent to them to check the science and make sure they meet an appropriate level of rigor to warrant publishing in the journal. If I do a good job, and the journal ultimately decides to publish the paper, they will on rare occasions ask me to write an editorial commentary to accompany the paper when it is published.

Earlier this year, I was asked by a good journal to review a paper that looked at the impact of having fans at stadiums for NFL and NCAA football games in the fall of 2020 on the rates of COVID-19 in the surrounding communities, to see if in-person attendance was associated with local COVID-19 outbreaks. (Their results showed that it was not. You can read the research paper here if you want.)

After I submitted my review, they asked me to write an accompanying commentary, so I was like, "Hell yeah!" When would I ever get another opportunity to write an article about science and football, two of my favorite things? And of course, if I was going to do this, you'd better damn well know that I'm going to find a way to slip in a reference to the Buffalo Bills. Damn straight I would.

So of course I did. Apparently there was a group that performed an independent but unpublished study of the impact of attendance at the two Bills playoff games on COVID-19 in the Buffalo community and found no effect (one link to the story is here), so I gave a nod to the Bills by slipping in a reference to that study (despite not being able to actually see the study or know how rigorously it was done. I mean, ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

So the commentary was just published last week. Here's the link to it if you have any interest. An article about science and football with a Buffalo Bills reference slipped in. One of my proudest accomplishments. LAMP!

Just remember: I didn't have anything to do with the study itself, I just wrote an editorial about it. But if you have any questions about it feel free to ask. And please try not to go off the rails with the COVID stuff.

Just scanned through the article. Good job with the editorial and the Buffalo Bills plug

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nice write-up, Mi -- er, I mean Rubes. (However, you forgot to acknowledge your Bills' fandom in the COI disclosures. 😜  )

But we Bills fans-scientists all do what we have to do, eh? For example, I have tortured my Boston-area medical school classes for 25 years before Bills-Pats game (last year was more gleeful than usual in that regard). In addition, I know from an [ahem] EXTREMELY well-placed source that an engineer and fellow Bills fan at the Jet Propulsion Lab slipped a "Go Bills" message onto the Perseverance rover, currently cruising around on the surface of Mars. But don't tell anybody ... 

Edited by Stranded in Boston
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

I can not bring myself to hide the news of this glorious conjunction. 

Good work, by the way.

Experience here suggests that it shall serve as an irresistibly attractive Gateway Drug for people to  wail about politicians/restrictions and pontificate about Covid in general.

I am compromising by locking it but pinning it overnight

I encourage all to offer their congratulations to @Rubes by emoji and in PM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Placed on season-ending IR.  Made me sad because I had hopes he might be an upgrade.

Keep it football-related, fellas.

Nice Job Rubes/OP

Quick question If I may, and I'll ask our on board Covid expert.  With so many cases not reported, especially from our younger generation that may have experienced milder flu like symptoms. 

Can studies like this be trusted Hap?

19 minutes ago, Figster said:

Nice Job Rubes/OP

Quick question If I may, and I'll ask our on board Covid expert.  With so many cases not reported, especially from our younger generation that may have experienced milder flu like symptoms. 

Can studies like this be trusted Hap?

I think that's a bit too general discussion for the football board, but it might make a great topic to PM @Rubes about.

If the two of you have a good chat I'd be happy to put it up along with the links in the OTW Covid thread

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's a bit too general discussion for the football board, but it might make a great topic to PM @Rubes about.

If the two of you have a good chat I'd be happy to put it up along with the links in the OTW Covid thread

Thanks. We've been discussing separately, it's a good question. I'll let you and @Figster decide if you want to post it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1