Happy Bobby Bonilla Day! Only 14 more to go

Draconator

Worth pointing out that the Mets are far from alone as far as teams who've gone the deferred payment route:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31732959/bobby-bonilla-day-explained-why-mets-pay-119m-today-every-july-1

• Max Scherzer: Will receive $105 million total from the Nationals that will be paid out through 2028.

• Manny Ramírez: Will collect $24.2 million total from the Red Sox through 2026.

• Ken Griffey Jr.: Will receive $3.59 million from the Reds every year through 2024 as the deferral from his nine-year, $116 million deal signed in 2000.

• Todd Helton: Will get $1.3 million from the Rockies every year through 2023 as the result of $13 million deferred when he signed a two-year extension in 2010.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Worth pointing out that the Mets are far from alone as far as teams who've gone the deferred payment route:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31732959/bobby-bonilla-day-explained-why-mets-pay-119m-today-every-july-1

• Max Scherzer: Will receive $105 million total from the Nationals that will be paid out through 2028.

• Manny Ramírez: Will collect $24.2 million total from the Red Sox through 2026.

• Ken Griffey Jr.: Will receive $3.59 million from the Reds every year through 2024 as the deferral from his nine-year, $116 million deal signed in 2000.

• Todd Helton: Will get $1.3 million from the Rockies every year through 2023 as the result of $13 million deferred when he signed a two-year extension in 2010.

That list of four has a combined 17 years remaining.  That stacks up pretty nicely against Bonilla's 14.

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, shrader said:

That list of four has a combined 17 years remaining.  That stacks up pretty nicely against Bonilla's 14.

There's always a buzzkill in the crowd! 

😉

Always take the survivor's benefit! 😆

Even after your dead... It's the "gift that keeps on giving!" 😆

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's always a buzzkill in the crowd! 

😉

Always take the survivor's benefit! 😆

Even after your dead... It's the "gift that keeps on giving!" 😆

Buzzkill?  I love this whole Bonilla thing.  It's the ultimate head scratcher.  I feel like they add more to the story each year to make that mets front office look even more stupid.

The amount of time left on his deal dwarfing all those other contracts just goes to show how special this one is.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Buzzkill?  I love this whole Bonilla thing.  It's the ultimate head scratcher.  I feel like they add more to the story each year to make that mets front office look even more stupid.

The amount of time left on his deal dwarfing all those other contracts just goes to show how special this one is.

Me too!  I agree.  I was referring to you killing Gug's buzz about how other teams do it.  😆

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.