so we keep Henry and he walks next year

Lothar

hear me out - we get to keep a proven backup for this year, then I'm assuming we'd at least get a 4th rounder as compensation in 2007 (or does the league only look at the most recent past?) Not sure if that's much worse than trading him now for a 4th round 2006 pick. Obviously, we'd like happy players on the team but at this point I don't see how a trade buys us much unless a team loses its starter in preseason, gets desperate and actually gives TD a good option.

hear me out - we get to keep a proven backup for this year, then I'm assuming we'd at least get a 4th rounder as compensation in 2007 (or do they only look at the most recent past?)  Not sure if that's much worse than trading him now for a 4th round 2006 pick.  Obviously, we'd like happy players on the team but at this point I don't see how a trade buys us much unlesss a team loses its starter in preseason and gets deperate and actually gives TD a good option.

320305[/snapback]

Thats a great point. I do not know how the comp picks are determined, but if your thinking is right, good for TD. I hadn't thought about that

We would be lucky to get a 7th round compensation pick in 2007 considering TH is a back up RB and will not command a large contract.

320310[/snapback]

so is it future success or past glories that determine value?

Is it possible you keep him for the year, and then franchise him?

320315[/snapback]

we'd like a 3rd or 4th for the guy - I don't think we're deifying him - he's not Franchise material - especially at this point.

i'm pretty sure you get compensated for where the player wasdrafted. Henry was drfated in the 2nd so we should get a 3rd rounder as comp.

Maybe I'm wrong!

320320[/snapback]

That's for signing RFA from another team, the comp picks have nothing to do with the draft position. VA was right above.

i'm pretty sure you get compensated for where the player wasdrafted. Henry was drfated in the 2nd so we should get a 3rd rounder as comp.

Maybe I'm wrong!

320320[/snapback]

The whple compensation piece for lost FAs is a black box that no one (even the professionals who are paid to concentrate on this stuff and are supposed to know it) has figured out yet.

Compensation is agreed to by a committee with NFL and NFLPA representation. Factors like when a player was drafted are factored in as folks say, but there is no hard and fast formula so teams or players can second guess these determinations.

In addition to individual player evaluation, the compensation goes to a team based upon the overall probable impact of pluses and minuses from the FA process. Thus, you can lose a few high grade FAs, but if the FAs you pick up perform well, your team will be compensated based on the total loss/gain and not simply based on your loss.

The other factor is that this was viewed by the NFL and NFLPA as a temporary measure and the compensation has gone down drastically (and may one day disappear if folks ever get generally used to the cap). In the first year teams got a 1st round choice to compensate for the loss of a player a team agreed to a contract with based on an assumption they would have him virtually forever if they want.

I think the highest compesation has dropped down to a 3rd or 4th at the highest and the Bills can count on no compensation for Henry for losing him.

The whple compensation piece for lost FAs is a black box that no one (even the professionals who are paid to concentrate on this stuff and are supposed to know it) has figured out yet.

Compensation is agreed to by a committee with NFL and NFLPA representation. Factors like when a player was drafted are factored in as folks say, but there is no hard and fast formula so teams or players can second guess these determinations.

In addition to individual player evaluation, the compensation goes to a team based upon the overall probable impact of pluses and minuses from the FA process. Thus, you can lose a few high grade FAs, but if the FAs you pick up perform well, your team will be compensated based on the total loss/gain and not simply based on your loss.

The other factor is that this was viewed by the NFL and NFLPA as a temporary measure and the compensation has gone down drastically (and may one day disappear if folks ever get generally used to the cap). In the first year teams got a 1st round choice to compensate for the loss of a player a team agreed to a contract with based on an assumption they would have him virtually forever if they want.

I think the highest compesation has dropped down to a 3rd or 4th at the highest and the Bills can count on no compensation for Henry for losing him.

320330[/snapback]

I am almost positive that where a player was drafted is not part of the formula.

4.4 Compensatory Draft Picks

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula, developed by the NFL Management Council, based on salary and performance. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula. The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. In some cases team receive picks even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents these teams lost were ranked higher than the ones they signed (based on salary and performance). No compensatory picks are higher than the third round.

Beginning in 1993, the NFL usually announces compensatory picks several weeks before the NFL draft.

so is it future success or past glories that determine value?

320313[/snapback]

It has to do with a ratio of FA the Bills lose vs: the FA the Bills sign

then they figure in the amount of money the Bills spent of FA vs: the amount of money paid to the FA the Bills lost.

so if we lose 5 FA that sign fat contract with other teams, and only sign 2 FA's to moderate contract we would probably get a few compensation picks and more then likely a 3rd or 4th rd pick

If we lose 5 FA's and sign 5 FA's to close to equal contracts we would get nothing

320330[/snapback]

performance from 2-3 years previous is irrelevant. one thing that gets factored in, i think, is the size of the contract the player gets from a competing team. that is, if he gets a $1 mill/year contract with little bonus, my sense is that means it counts against the bills compensation chances, effectively. immediate past performance (his last contract year) plus his performance the following year for another year weigh in too. assuming mcgahee is healthy, the bills probably wouldn't get much of anything assuming they sign any free agents next offseason.

If you want to go ahead and call TH a proven backup, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. As far as I know, with everthing TH has said, he will never be a backup, never play again in Buffalo and will not show up for mini-camp or training camp. How is that a "proven backup"? Sounds like a big baby who thinks he is better than anybody and won't do what's best for the team. If the Bills do not get rid of him, TH will show up at some point during the season and go through the motions just so he can be a UFA after 2005. The Bills better figure out a way to get rid of TH and do it soon. This will be a major distraction as long as TH is a Buffalo Bill.

By your logic, it would seem Travis doesn't care about his future in the NFL. I can't think of a professional who would willing assassinate his own career just because he's pissed at management. At the end of the day, he'll do what's best for him and sitting out just isn't an option. I pray he's enlightened by the time Summer ends and finds a new agent.

Henry is at a very important point in his career. He and his agent should know right now that if he doesn't play his cards 100 percent correctly every day for the the next year or so, he is going to find himself on the outside looking in. He won't be able to find a halfway decent team willing to let him start or pay him anywhere near top-20 RB pay.

I agree that if he or his agent have one working brain cell, he'll work as hard as he can to get ready for the year, play his fuggin' heart out at every chance, and then hope for the best next offseason.

You know I think we'll know Travis's intentions somewhat come this weekend when mini-camp starts. Whether he is there or not will be a telltale sign of things to come.

As much as I dislike his ability as a starter, I would feel comfortable with him as the backup/change of pace guy, as long as he understood his role and played ST's like a backup runningback is supposed to.

If you want to go ahead and call TH a proven backup, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. As far as I know, with everthing TH has said, he will never be a backup, never play again in Buffalo and will not show up for mini-camp or training camp.  How is that a "proven backup"? Sounds like a big baby who thinks he is better than anybody and won't do what's best for the team. If the Bills do not get rid of him, TH will show up at some point during the season and go through the motions just so he can be a UFA after 2005. The Bills better figure out a way to get rid of TH and do it soon. This will be a major distraction as long as TH is a Buffalo Bill.

320477[/snapback]

He certainly is far from a proven back-up as he says he does not want the role. However, he has proved in the past (as validated by him rusghing twice for over 1300 and third-parties picking him for the Pro Bowl) that he is a starting RB who can produce.

Henry has a choice if the Bills do not move him (which seems unlikely now) of throwing a hissy fit, screwing the Bills, and also screwing up his ability to get a big contract or sucking it up and taking the back-up role and if he is fortunate earning a big contract.

Some folks see him as such a fool that they are sure he will screw himself simply to screw the Bills. Some do not.

We'll see.