Vehicle Registration Renewal

Astrobot

I got a NYS Vehicle Registration Renewal in the mail today. It says I can re-register my vehicle on line at

www.nysdmv.com

Why isn't a NYS vehicle registration site a  .gov?

318717[/snapback]

It's not unheard of for states and municipalities to contract out that stuff to companies that run them as "turnkey" operations (i.e. "You want to put your vehicle registration on-line, Arizona? We've got all the functionality, all we have to do is brand it.) I imagine that, if it's a private company hosting the functionality, they have to use a .com URL...or that NYS won't let them use a .gov so they can tax them... <_<

I just called their offices, and they referred me to nysdmv.com, so I'm going for it. My bet is that, like you said, they are under state aegeis, but are a privately operating organization that collects money, so can't be a .gov...

Very easy to renew your registration online. Can't use it if you have moved, though.

I just got something in the mail telling me to pay my geico insurance at smartyjoneswinsthetriplecrown.com - is this a scam?

318735[/snapback]

ROFL. <_<

What needs to happen now is for states to allow ALL taxpayers to e-file their returns for free!!! These restrictions have almost been removed from all federal returns.

My state already does but alot of others don't.

It's legit.  I just did mine online about two weeks ago and I already have it on my windshield.  Not happy that it cost me $75 for 2 years but what're ya gonna do?

318734[/snapback]

$75?! For 2 years?! I would be estatic if had to pay that amount.

I'm in CA. I have a 2002 Saturn. I paid $171 last year. If Arnold had not been elected and we still had Gray Davis, I would be paying about $500/year! Arnold rolled it back to what it used to be.That was his first act as Governator.

Minnesota just pulled their online vehicle registration because it had significant security holes. Hopefully if NYS outsourced it, they did a better job.

And don't complain about the cost -- I just paid $55 for one year. When I lived in Minnesota, I paid around $150 for one year. Jesse Ventura changed it to a flat rate, but it's still around $80 over there I think.

For once, NYS doesn't lead the nation in a form of taxation :o

CW