Bears interested in Isaiah McKenzie

52 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I agree with your assessment of punt returns, although I didn’t even think about that. That’s all the more reason why I hope to find a reliable return man. I’d rather have a dependable, yet unspectacular return man, over an inexperienced rookie with home run hitter potential. I’m good with drafting a guy for his future ability to be our return man, but I think our current roster is too good let a rookie field kicks. A McKelvin situation isn’t what you want on a team with hopes of contending. 

I think football smarts are a key point for Bills players on Teams.

Been noted a number of times.

So I would agree that Bills too , would prefer steady and Ball smart over home run potential.

Most all returners have home run potential anyways. It is reading the blocking breaking down accurately and quickly 

:)

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That kind of sounds as though he might have an offer in hand but be hoping for a better or do you think I'm reading in?

It seems like he might have a lowball offer but his agent is looking for more, which he probably should take. I think he would prefer to stay with bills but I think they want to draft his replacement. Plus he may find a bigger role elsewhere and should let his agent vet that and take the emotion out of it. Jmo 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I could see them wanting to draft a faster version of him for that jet sweep/gadget role

What I think they might want as an upgrade is a guy who is just as fast (sure, faster would be nice) who can't be neutralized by physical DBs quite as easily as McKenzie.  It would be kinda nice to hang on to the guy who has shown he can play until the draftee shows he can do it.

But you're right that if McKenzie is offered more money on a team where he might have a bigger role, he should take it because he's #5 on our depth chart going into training camp.

• Agree 1

I feel like they want someone who can replace McKenzie but who can ALSO return kicks.

While McKenzie has been a good punt returner at times, to my knowledge, he hasn't been an effective kick returner.

Ultimately, I think they want to combine McKenzie and Roberts' roles into one guy, and pay him a rookie salary for four years.

• Agree 2