Dawkins & Tre contracts - today is the 1st day of a 5 day period to excerise options that (updated: do not create cap space in 21)

57 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They need Peterson more than any UFA out there.

There is STILL way too much pressure on White being the only CB who is capable of covering someone man to man on the outside. And White's play fell off a little in 2020 because of it.

Peterson puts White back to being one of the top 2 CB's in the NFL.

I’m confused.  Who was the cornerback that allowed Tre to become a top 2 CB in 2019?  

I don’t disagree with the premise that we need a better cb2.  We do......but I don’t understand how levi Wallace, playing opposite white in 2019, helped him become a top 2 cB.....,but in 2020, was the reason he wasn’t a top 2 cb.  

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But if this is reducing the Bills 2021 cap hit, wouldn't they then be going from a little cap space to more cap space?  If so then whats the issue with the NFL not approving it?

My point was before we can make any moves, we have to have enough space to do it - here is $15 million

Today is the 1st day to exercise these options, they may have already done it for all we know

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

I'm not getting this. Not at all.

It says, or rather it seems to me to say, that if we exercise an option for 2024, we get to take money off the 2021 cap - money that doesn't appear to actually be there.

About Dawkins it says they can "drop his fully guaranteed $14.8M 2021 base salary to a fully guaranteed $7.3M." Hunh? Neither Overthecap nor Spotrac have Dawkins's 2021 salary at $14.8M right now. Both already have his 2021 salary at $7.3M already. Did they exercise this option in the last hour and the two sites are already on top of it? That seems unlikely.

So, what $14.8M 2021 salary for Dawkins are they talking about? 

Same confusion with White. It says his salary for 2021 is a fully guaranteed $17.95M. Again, Spotrac and Overthecap disagree, putting his salary already at $10.485.

They seem to be talking about cutting money that isn't there to cut.

The 2024 bonus they are talking about for Dawkins and the 2025 bonus for Tre aren't on Spotrac or Overthecap but that seems more understandable, as it would be a new provision. 

Anybody understand the specifics here?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEra said:

I’m confused.  Who was the cornerback that allowed Tre to become a top 2 CB in 2019?  

I don’t disagree with the premise that we need a better cb2.  We do......but I don’t understand how levi Wallace, playing opposite white in 2019, helped him become a top 2 cB.....,but in 2020, was the reason he wasn’t a top 2 cb.  

the pass rush was better?

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

My point was before we can make any moves, we have to have enough space to do it - here is $15 million

Today is the 1st day to exercise these options, they may have already done it for all we know

So then these moves aren't freeing up cap space as it sounded like many posts were implying, instead they are just spending money and they need to first free up the money to be able to spend it.  If they freed up $15 mil, they could either use that to sign  some FA or to exercise these options?

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

When I saw your post, that seemed a possible explanation, that they'd already done it. But if so, surely they'd have also put the $15M on Buffalo's cap, and they have not done that.

I'm still not getting this at all. It's tough because Corry is doing this on twitter, rather than writing an article. He's not being very clear.

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

When I saw your post, that seemed a possible explanation, that they'd already done it. But if so, surely they'd have also put the $15M on Buffalo's cap, and they have not done that.

I'm still not getting this at all. It's tough because Corry is doing this on twitter, rather than writing an article. He's not being very clear.

I think Spotrac exercised it, now that I look at Dawkins:

image.thumb.png.6de435835dc32e77871898350588efbd.png

They are showing a 7.5 m option and his base is at 7.3M

Same is true for Tre...

So perhaps, we are already using this space...

Edited by Reed83HOF

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think Spotrac exercised it, now that I look at Dawkins:

image.thumb.png.6de435835dc32e77871898350588efbd.png

They are showing a 7.5 m option and his base is at 7.3M

Same is true for Tre...

So perhaps, we are already using this space...

But again, if they took that cap money away from those two guys, they'd surely have put the money saved, $15M, on Buffalo's cap. They have not.

Not getting this at all. I'm not trying to argue. I hope you or someone can explain it to me, but this doesn't seem to go along with the contract data.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But again, if they took that cap money away from those two guys, they'd surely have put it on Buffalo's cap. They have not.

Not getting this at all. I'm not trying to argue. I hope you or someone can explain it to me, but this doesn't seem to go along with the contract data.

I think they have put it in the Cap figure and just exercised the options. I'm not sure what the figures were they were showing before; I am assuming it is the base plus the 7.5m originally. What it shows now is the exercised figures...Right?

image.thumb.png.d63032c08f2f1ae183c14e623563902c.png

16 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

the pass rush was better?

Maybe....but that wasn’t what the post I replied to was insinuating.  He insinuated that it was the corner opposite white.  And it was the same corner.  

i think we’re in agreement.....SOMETHING needs to change.  So far, we have the same DL (+ star - Jefferson/Murphy) and the same secondary, minus Norman. We still have the draft to add talent, but is that going to be enough?  We need a mid major move at the least imo

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

I think they have put it in the Cap figure and just exercised the options. I'm not sure what the figures were they were showing before; I am assuming it is the base plus the 7.5m originally. What it shows now is the exercised figures...Right?

No way White had a $20m cap hit before this and Dawkins had a $18m cap hit.  Also says the option bonus was guaranteed at signing.  So not sure what the option was actually for.  The original tweet looks wrong.  

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

The Bills cap figure yesterday and the day before was slightly different on each site, but in the area of $9M. That's what it still shows.

Jeez, this is confusing. Wait, the Sanders contract hadn't been added in to that $9M. But the Sanders contract figures aren't known, so they generally don't add them in till they know the specifics. So the $15M doesn't appear to have been added in.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Joel Corry, the guy who tweeted this, made a mistake in calling the 2021 money base salary? Maybe it's as yet shown as an unexercised roster bonus, which then would not yet be added to the contract figures? And the Bills haven't made the move yet?

That's the only way I can even begin to figure this.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Maybe....but that wasn’t what the post I replied to was insinuating.  He insinuated that it was the corner opposite white.  And it was the same corner.  

i think we’re in agreement.....SOMETHING needs to change.  So far, we have the same DL (+ star - Jefferson/Murphy) and the same secondary, minus Norman. We still have the draft to add talent, but is that going to be enough?  We need a mid major move at the least imo

I know why you were replying LOL. Only real difference was the pass rush was way better.

McD has been saying for years, he wants pressure with the front 4; returning the same DL that was bad with pressure last year (add Star, but he is not an Aaron Donald or Ted Washington whose absence would destroy the DL pressure)

Beane & McD -  the poor rushing wasn't all on the RBs, the Line wasn't great, we bring back the same Oline

Beane - we are not a SB team

Kim - 2020 is the floor

This is basically the same team as last year = not good enough

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No way White had a $20m cap hit before this and Dawkins had a $18m cap hit.  Also says the option bonus was guaranteed at signing.  So not sure what the option was actually for.  The original tweet looks wrong.  

Yeah, I also didn't think their hits were that high.

I think the Bills haven't exercised the option.

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I know why you were replying LOL. Only real difference was the pass rush was way better.

McD has been saying for years, he wants pressure with the front 4; returning the same DL that was bad with pressure last year (add Star, but he is not an Aaron Donald or Ted Washington whose absence would destroy the DL pressure)

Beane & McD -  the poor rushing wasn't all on the RBs, the Line wasn't great, we bring back the same Oline

Beane - we are not a SB team

Kim - 2020 is the floor

This is basically the same team as last year = not good enough

Agree with all of that.

we need to plug our off season moves into Cynthia Frelunds data analyzer algorithm.  That will tell us exactly how many points we’ll score and what our record will be with this roster.  She’s impressive, if you didn’t know.

💁🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The Bills cap figure yesterday and the day before was slightly different on each site, but in the area of $9M. That's what it still shows.

Jeez, this is confusing. Wait, the Sanders contract hadn't been added in to that $9M. But the Sanders contract figures aren't known, so they generally don't add them in till they know the specifics. So the $15M doesn't appear to have been added in.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Joel Corry, the guy who tweeted this, made a mistake in calling the 2021 money base salary? Maybe it's as yet shown as an unexercised roster bonus, which then would not yet be added to the contract figures? And the Bills haven't made the move yet?

Sorry to reply to myself, but I want to refer to the earlier post.

If what I'm thinking now is so, that would not be great news.

It would mean that the $15M is essentially a potential cap hit on Spotrac and OvertheCap right now.

That would mean that we'd pretty much be forced to use the option, otherwise our available cap would drop by $15M this year. In other words, if we exercise this option, we wouldn't add $15M to the $9M we have under the cap now.

Instead, by exercising this option we'd be avoiding taking $15M off the cap rather than actually adding $15M on.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but that's how it looks to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I am actually thinking what is left of the $15 million is the $9m in space, which does not include Sanders. For arguments sake if Sanders is a straight $6 we have $3 left and that's it. Why do you think the $15 isn't there?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

it’s very confusing.  What is there to exercise if the option bonus was guaranteed when they signed?  

Yes, very confusing.

I am not sure about any of this, but my guess is that it's guaranteed either year, 2021 or 2024, and they have to exercise the option if they want to move it to 2024 (and slightly increase the amount at the same time).

If they don't exercise the option, each guy will then have to be paid a $7.5M roster bonus this year that is not yet accounted for in the Bills cap.